User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

Oddometer: 63
12 Days in the Land of Ice & Fire

August 2011, Two bikes, 12 Days, Round the Land of Ice & Fire.

Coming soon:

Rocketfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
Bring it on. On my bucket list.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Looks interesting, I think I'll tag along.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

Leg 1: Reykjavik to Laugarvatn

August 2011, Two bikes, 12 Days in the Land of Ice and Fire.

Caviat: Accuracy of place names and exact locations can not be guaranteed.
"A picture is worth a thousand words" principle applied.

No more ferries from Scotland to Iceland, so the bikes had to be shipped in by freight: Harwich to Reykjavik.

Customs had to be cleared in the centre of Reykjavik before the bikes were released by the freight company.

Along Route 36, the first stop was the Ŝingvellir (Thingvellir) National Park. American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet here.

Ŝhingvellir (Thingvellir) is the place where the Icelandic parliament was founded around 930 AD and continued till late 1700's.

South of the fault line there is the Ŝingvallavatn (Thingvallvatn) lake.

Took a diversion via Route 52 and 550 towards Okhryggir to get our first test for Icelandic unpaved roads.

The weather in Iceland can vary within minutes and so these shelters are scattered around the highlands.

Rocketfuel screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 11:56 AM Reason: Correcting Icelandic place names Ŝ insted of P
Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

There is strength in numbers. Co-rider arrived from Hamburg.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

Leg 2: Laugarvatn to Porisvatn

We were introduced to Icelandic midges during our first night of camping in Laugarvatn!.
No bites just very annoying things when trying to set up camp or trying to enjoy a drink!. Could do with an Aussie hat!

We continued on Route 32 to Geysir & Strokkur then onto Gullfoss. I am reminded by an Icelandic friend that Geysir died 300 years ago, so it is actually Strokkur in Action

From Gulfoss looking north you get a superb panaromic view of Langjokull Glacier.

From Gulfoss we headed south on Route 30 then notheast on Route 32 direction Hraunejar.

Route 32 joins Route 26 at Sultrangastod and the last petrol station is at Hraunejar before you hit the unpaved section going north.
We fuelled up and filled the spare cans at Hraunejar ready for the off-road section to the interior.

For the night we set up camp by Ŝorisvatn lake right by the water's edge. It was a beautiful evening with a lovely sunset and absolute tranquility.
The bar opened. This was the "REAL ICELAND" we came to see!!

By about 11 pm the clouds started moving in and rain started diluting our wine!. WE HAD NOT HEARD THE WEATHER REPORT!!

To be continued......

Rocketfuel screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 02:39 PM Reason: Correcting Strokkur for Geysir, changing P to Ŝ (Th)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
nice...another Iceland report....hey can I ask how much it cost you to ship your bikes? Nice pics so far!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
nice...another Iceland report....hey can I ask how much it cost you to ship your bikes? Nice pics so far!
Many thanks, The return seafreight from UK to Iceland was around 750 gbp in August 2011 (bike only). Likely to be much more crossing the Atlantic. A cheaper option might be to fly in and hire a bike in Iceland. I believe they hire lighter GS's in Reykjavik. Also checked your blog very interesting.

Also many thanks to all who dropped in so far and left comments.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
soph9
Bike Addict

thanks good info...Iceland.................................... ..... Hey thanks for checking out our BLOG...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

Leg 3: Porisvatn to Brekkur

Last night reminded me of trying to sleep on a yacht during a Bay of Biscay crossing few years ago! By 2am in the morning it was blowing a Gale with driving rain and it was coming right over the Hofsjokull Glacier from a NE direction. My tent pole was bending inwards almost symmetrically opposite to what it should look like. Had to put all the gear against it to stop it breaking. The froth from the waves were reaching the tent entrance! Suffice to say it was not a very comfortable night!.

We got up at sun rise and packed the tents away (that was a job and a half on its own as it was still blowing a Force 6/7).

The main issue was that we needed to go North and it was blowing from the North. In addition Route 21's surface was made up of mud, gravel, stones, boulders and volcanic sand. Not a good combination for a fully laden 1200 that needed to be driven standing up.

Regretably the decision was made to turn back south and pick up Route 1 to progress around the Island rather than thro' it.

Camp site the night before and in the morning:

Running with the wind on Route 21:

The conditions looking North (best to have the sound on):

Following a well deserved breakfast at the nearest point of civilisation (happened to be a hostel around Hraunejar) we continued on Route 32 towards Selfoss to pick up Route 1 to Vik.

En route we found tracks heading up to Skaldabudaheidi and enjoyed some off road riding:

Then reached the foot of Skaldabudaheidi:

This made up for some of the fun we would have had going up Route 21.

Incidentally this is how Icelanders do off-roading, one of them even asked me, referring to the bike "you think this the best way to go round Iceland??":

We then headed to Selfoss and turned SE on Route 1, picked up some essentials from Vinbudin in Hvolsvollur (need to make a note of Vinbudin as you can not buy drinks at supermarkets in Iceland).

Past Skogar, the wind picked up again and started raining cats and dogs.The visibility was poor and we were soaking wet despite all the Goretex layers. This was not a good time to look for a camp site in Vik. We saw a sign for Hotel Dyrholaey and took the turning on the left. Yes, they had rooms , we booked ourselves in.
They had to mop up the reception area after we checked in!!.

To be continued................
Old 01-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
soph9
Bike Addict

ahhhhh wind and rain....it gets to you doesn't it? What was in that trailer supplies?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Nice ridereport but one thing bothers me...

The icelandic letter "Ŝ" is called thorn and is pronounced TH so ŝingvellir is pronounced THingvellir and not Pingvellir. it´s part of our heritage so take care of it.

Geysir by the way died some 100 years ago and is no longer active, Strokkur is the only one bursting up now.

Cheers

Magnus

(Originally from Drumboddstödum near Gullfossi)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_(letter)
Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Rocketfuel OP
GS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman View Post
Nice ridereport but one thing bothers me...

The icelandic letter "Ŝ" is called thorn and is pronounced TH so ŝingvellir is pronounced THingvellir and not Pingvellir. it´s part of our heritage so take care of it.

Geysir by the way died some 100 years ago and is no longer active, Strokkur is the only one bursting up now.

Cheers

Magnus

(Originally from Drumboddstödum near Gullfossi)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_(letter)
Delighted to hear from an Icelander and glad you are enjoying the report.
The Ŝing is, I actually put a caviat right at the beginning to say this could happen and I did not guarantee accuracy of place names. Ŝ is actually in old English as well but they do not have it on modern keyboards nowadays. Anyhow, I altered the text both ways and hope it is now OK. By the way, people we met out there have been extremely friendly. I am thinking flying back winter time just for a photo shoot.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfuel View Post

To be continued......

Nice! We haven't seen much of that part, keep going!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Subscribed. Been to Reykjavik and I was surprised how common those Icelander-Off-Roaders actually are. I have the Bluray of Top Gear driving them across the Cdn arctic and up the Eyjafjallajökull volcano

squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote