User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,658
Seeking Cooler Temperatures--Going North

I just got my motorcycle out of the shop recently, after my first major face plant in all my years of riding.
Some of you may remember this picture,

See more here....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224739

Iron Horse Motorcycles here in Tucson did a great job repairing it, replacing everything that was damaged.
It is just the way it was before, but with a couple changes, black wheels, brand new tires, and properly installed Autocom.

The old luggage remains pending arrival of Safari topcase.

So, I took the bike out on a shakedown cruise up Mount Lemmon and little bit around town, and she was great. Still, it was a little hot up there too.

Now it’s time for real ride though. Problem is, it’s 114 degrees out there today. That’s not fun. I mean, I am acclimated to the temperatures enough that I can ride in it okay, but it’s just not as fun as riding in cooler temperatures. So, how far North do I have to go to get sufficiently cooled off to where I can really enjoy having my bike back?
Well, I am packing up and getting ready to head out in the morning and see how far I have to go. I’m bringing my passport.

I’ll keep you filled in as to how far I have to go along the way. I look forward to meeting some of the others heading North this summer also. Wish me luck????? Well, tomorrow is ate Year="2007" Day="7" Month="7">07-07-07ate>. Should be lucky.

JMead11 screwed with this post 07-06-2007 at 09:22 PM
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMead11

Now itís time for real ride though. Problem is, itís 114 degrees out there today. Thatís not fun. I mean, I am acclimated to the temperatures enough that I can ride in it okay, but itís just not as fun as riding in cooler temperatures. So, how far North do I have to go to get sufficiently cooled off to where I can really enjoy having my bike back?
Well, I am packing up and getting ready to head out in the morning and see how far I have to go. Iím bringing my passport.

Iíll keep you filled in as to how far I have to go along the way. I look forward to meeting some of the others heading North this summer also. Wish me luck????? Well, tomorrow is ate month="7" day="7" year="2007">07-07-07ate>. Should be lucky.
Luck!!!
Tomorrow's high in Seattle is about 76. Perfect, if you ask me!

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
I remember that face plant, glad to see you back on 2 wheels . How come you replaced your wheels? Where they damaged in the accident?

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Yes, they were scratched a bit, front and rear, so they are both new.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

July 7, 2007
625.8 miles
Tucson, Arizona to Richfield, Utah

I dragged myself out of bed at 4:00 in the morning hoping that by leaving early I could avoid some of the heat. I rolled the bike out to the sidewalk and packed up my gear onto it. I went back in and woke up up my son for a moment to say good bye . It was about 4:55 when I finally got all my gear on and fired up the GS. My neighbor was out working on his car, so I stopped by to tell him where I was going and he said I was crazy, of course. . First stop was gas, and then out onto I-10 North to head out of town.

I stopped momentarily at Picacho Peak just to take a picture of it as the sun was just coming up.

I got through Phoenix with no problems and was in Flagstaff by 9:00. I got some coffee and sat around for about 45 minutes knowing that it was going to be stinking hot once I dropped out of the mountains and headed for Page. Page is the home of the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. There's not much of a dam thing to see in Page, so I'll just show you the dam pictures, and you can see what a dam small town it is.

Drove through Kanab and then continued up the 89 expecting to cut over to Interstate 15, but I saw lights up ahead, lots of them, and the sky was getting dark. Turned out the road was closed, both Interstate 15 and 70, because of a forest fire. This was an exact replay of last years trip now. Leaving at 5:00, Phoenix by 7:00, Flagstaff at 9:00, Page by 12:00 noon, then being diverted by forest fires from my prescribed course. My hopes of making it to Provo, Utah were now dashed, and I toward Richfield instead. The fire must be huge, as smoke was just blacking out the sky and reducing visibility. Ash was raining down like snow flakes and covering everything.

I probably should have gotten a motel, but people said it cooled off good at night here, so I went to the KOA, and got a cabin for the first time. Never tried one before, so I thought I would just try it out. We’ll see how it goes. Turns out they closed the pool, which I was sorely disappointed about, but they have good showers. I stayed here before, and could never connect to their wifi, and tonight is no different.

Freddie is making himself at home, glad to be out of the tank bag.

Bike is flawless and doing great, but my rear end is out of shape. I find that about 125 miles straight is all I can handle. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

JMead11 screwed with this post 07-29-2007 at 04:25 PM
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

July 8, 2007
526.0 miles
Richfield, Utah to Dillon, Montana

I woke up at about 4:00 in the morning and briefly considered heading out. Then I remembered I was on vacation and went back to bed. I ended up waking again about 7:45 and slowly got things together.

I headed out to the freeway again and then headed down some side roads back to Interstate 15, where I immediately ended up in a slow construction zone for way too long. It finally cleared up and I stopped for breakfast north of Provo, got gas, for the bike, not from breakfast, and then continued.

Newspapers in the machine out front had headlines about the fires.

I didn’t stop for about 125 miles until I hit a rest stop. I passed a guy on a chopper just as I was ducking in, looked like he was having trouble. A few minutes after parking, he came pushing it in, parked it next to mine and said, “shoulda bought one of those,” gesturing towards my GS. He never did get it going. The rest stop attendant gave him a ride back into town so he could get his trailer. Hope it was still there when he got back for it.

When I pulled into Pocatello, the temperatures were actually cooling down a bit. 92 degrees according to the sign.

As I got further north, the roads got lonelier. Saw more cows than people. Thank God for satellite radio and the Zumo with MP3’s. One would go crazy otherwise.

One more rest stop in Idaho.

Welcome to Montana.

Next stop was Dillon for some KFC and to hunt down beverages for the evening. I was tempted by this fine wine at the Town Pump, but decided to pass on it and get something else.

Dillon KOA, this time in the tent. As soon as I got there, I was swarmed by mosquitoes. Little soon for that isn’t it? After one got a good bit on me, I whipped out the deet and set up camp.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

JMead11 screwed with this post 07-29-2007 at 04:24 PM
Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
chucktab
I did what? When?

Oddometer: 95
Great pics and report. If you go back and look at that picture of the SL Tribune, it lists 2 traffic deaths related to the fire. Sadly, it was a couple on a motorcycle who were hit while riding in the thick smoke. The cowardly bastard who hit them took off and they're still looking for the car. Keep it safe out there and hopefully you'll find some cooler weather.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

July 9, 2007
251.8 miles
Dillon, Montana to Great Falls, Montana

I woke up this morning and it actually felt cold for me. Probably wasn’t cold for most people, but for an Arizonan it was cold, in the low 60’s. I got myself going and packed up at a leisurely pace and then headed into Dillon.

Adventure bus in need of rescue.

Nice little town with a few interesting items lying about and many murals.

After a little exploration I gassed up and headed up the Interstate toward Butte and then continued on through Helena. The road was winding and mountainous, making for a very pleasant ride. Temperatures really cooled off as elevation went up over 5000 feet.

I got into Great Falls and stopped for lunch. As I sat in the Arby’s, I noticed that the sky was getting darker. Ominously darker. As I pulled out, there were strong gusts of wind and branches started falling from the trees. Not a good sign. Things like this can be quickly ridden out of in Arizona, but apparently not in Montana. I got about 5 miles out of town, struggling down the freeway with the hazard lights on, and I realized that I was not going to get out of this easily. I finally decided it was too risky to continue. It was too windy and I couldn’t go fast enough to safely drive on the freeway, so I pulled off to wait for it to blow over. It never did. After about an hour of waiting, I decided to crawl back into Great Falls on a side road and find a better place to hole up for a while. I ended up at the visitor’s center, and everybody was telling me that it was not expected to let up until after dark. Crap. Well, this sucks. I thought about going back out there, but I just didn’t think it was a good idea. So, I crawled through town to the KOA.

I am no stranger to this KOA, as I have been here a few times before. It is a really nice one in my opinion as it is crawling with rabbits, and I like rabbits.

They also have the finest bathroom and shower facilities of any campground I have ever stayed at. So there was no question for me of where to stay in Great Falls. I inquired at the office about a cabin instead of a tent site, because I thought my tent might blow away. The manager offered me a deal. If I would read the new travel brochures they are making just for bikers and offer any corrections or additions, they would give me the cabin for the price of the tent site. Done deal. I guess they are trying to appeal to the biker class of people. The lady was a rider herself, and she said she wanted to encourage more riders to stay at the Great Falls KOA. Well, there were plenty of bikers in today. The wind was chasing everyone off the roads today. So, since they were so good to me, I’ll throw in the shameless plug of a few pictures.

Tomorrow comes one of the most exciting part of the trip for me. Trying to cross the border into Canada. Last year they did everything but make me bend over and spread my cheeks for them, so I hope this year will be easier. I swore I would never cross the border at this same crossing ever again, but here I go. Wish me luck.

JMead11 screwed with this post 07-29-2007 at 04:26 PM
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
spacely
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Nice ride report, I love the area that your riding through .Great pictures!
spacely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549

Dam fine report!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

July, 10, 2007
513.3 miles
Great Falls, Montana to Edmonton, Alberta

I pulled out of Great Falls, not the first one out, but not the last one either, and headed for the border. There was a little bit of a line, but got through to the booth in about an hour. I got through in about 8 minutes. I just had to explain what I was doing and list off every gun that I own, that took a while, and they let me in without a search. Last time was a lot more difficult.

I look like crap already.

I stopped for lunch before Calgary, and then made a stop at Blackfoot Motorsports to see if they had any decent t-shirts. I ended up with a few stickers, and then went out into rush hour traffic heading for Edmonton.

Urban adventure machine

When I got to Edmonton, the Zumo kept sending me to places that didn’t exist for camping, so I stopped for gas, and what luck, but a guy pulled into the station on a KTM 950SM. I asked where I could find camping, and he offered to show to a place. Thank you Mr. Brent Montgomery, I would have been lost forever depending on my Zumo.

Met some interesting people at the campground too. Another Brent, next door to me, and a guy from Quebec that was amazed I spoke French. Nice to chat with him for a while. He has an R1100 back home and wished he had it with him on his RV trip.

JMead11 screwed with this post 03-19-2009 at 07:46 PM
Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

July 11, 2007

488.2 miles

http://connect.garmin.com/zumo/player/3277241 part I

http://connect.garmin.com/zumo/player/3277239 detour after accident

Edmonton, Alberta to Fort St John, British Columbia

Today started out okay, other than the domestic dispute in the campground. She was calling him things I know he'd probably never done before. He was smart and left, then stupid and came back.

I got out on the road and got out of Edmonton with no problems, and headed towards Dawson Creek. Not a lot of traffic and decent roads.

When I got to Dawson Creek, I disappointed to see that the Alaska Highway sign was all torn apart. They were redoing the whole thing, so I only got to see it in pieces.

I continued up the road, and as I cam up over a rise, there were brake lights. An accident had just occurred. It was a head on collision between a Ford pick-up pulling a 5TH wheel and a Dodge Stratus. A woman and her daughter survived the accident and were removed after everyone broke out the windows and pryed open the passenger door. The driver was trapped in there though, and then the truck started burning. The guy in the Stratus, I have no idea, but I don’t see how he made it. I am sure the drivers of both vehicles were killed on impact. Fortunately there were enough fire extinguishers around to keep the fire at bay until the firemen showed up. It was a huge mess. I don’t even really think I should post a picture, but maybe we need to be reminded of the dangers out there.

I tried to find my way around on some dirt roads since the road was closed and I couldn’t stand to be there any longer, but it was to no avail. I finally bumped into a biker, and he was a local, so he said the only way around was to go to Rollo, and over the Peace River. He said it would be about 20 miles longer. Turned out to be a 2 hour detour. It was, however, not a loss, because he took me through some really beautiful countryside, was good at spotting the deer, and I got to see things I might not have otherwise seen.

Peace River

I finally got into Fort St John, and decided enough was enough. I had intended to go to place further up the road, but stopped for the night. It is not the best place, run down and old, but full of friendly people. Actually, this whole country is full of the most friendly people. Everyone says, “Welcome to Canada” or something to that effect. It actually very nice. You don’t see that too often at home.

JMead11 screwed with this post 08-18-2007 at 11:38 AM
Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

I managed to get up early, didn't sleep well last night but hope to get further up the road today. Want to do some swimming in the springs if I can make it.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Excellent, thanks for updating us with pics and comments, fantastic journey

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
SkidinNC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Great report; looking forward to updates.
2001 Yamaha YZ426
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660R
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
SkidinNC is offline   Reply With Quote