User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
CycleinCircles
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Nice report.
I went to school at MTU in the U.P. and am traveling up there this spring to visit some friends that are going there. Doing part of your ride would be a great detour on my way there. I would really appreciate it is you could post a map of your route. If you even make it up to copper harbor again you should follow US-41 until it ends then taake the dirt road until it becomes a snowmobile trail and you can follow that all the way to the tip of the Keweenaw , it is a great place to camp for the night.
Thanks,
Ryan

and once again nice report.

CycleinCircles screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 06:57 PM
CycleinCircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #32
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 410
Stunning!

What a gorgeous area! Very much enjoyed the pictures and your narrative of your trip. Most definitely makes me want to take a trip to the UP!

J.

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
Skopelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. Wonderful place and wonderful colours!
http://suzukidr250s.123.st
Skopelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleinCircles View Post
Nice report.
I went to school at MTU in the U.P. and am traveling up there this spring to visit some friends that are going there. Doing part of your ride would be a great detour on my way there. I would really appreciate it is you could post a map of your route. If you even make it up to copper harbor again you should follow US-41 until it ends then taake the dirt road until it becomes a snowmobile trail and you can follow that all the way to the tip of the Keweenaw , it is a great place to camp for the night.
Thanks,
Ryan

and once again nice report.
That's just where I ended up, sort of. That part is coming up. I'll PM you for the map, I have my gps tracks if that helps.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Made it to the Beginning!

One of my friends Kirk was talking about doing a Copper Key ride. From Copper Harbor, Michigan to Key West, Florida. Anyone ever followed this route before?

I was planning on camping at Fort Wilkins state park, but had some daylight left before it got dark and I was trying to find the rocket range at the tip of the peninsula. My gps showed this was the way to the rocket range. Its a small two track trail that my gps shows will end up at the rocket site.

More about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keweena...et_launch_site)

This doesn't look that steep but with the loose big rocks and having all the extra weight on my bike I stalled it once going up. I almost turned around but kept going once I made it over the top.

Eventually the trail lead to a dead end that I had to turn around at, but at least it had some nice views of lake superior along the way. This trail was very rocky and muddy but my tire choice for the trip proved to be invaluable.

Back out on the main dirt road after almost 1 1/2 hours on Horse shoe trail.

For anyone else that goes up that way, Horse shoe trail leads to a dead end. Picked up some mud as a souvenir on the klr.

With daylight starting to fade I made my way back to the beginning of US41, picking the pavement up from here.

Lighthouse overlooking copper harbor.

I went to Fort Wilkins state park and got a site for the night. Parked the klr and set up my tent, called it a night.

1994klr250 screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 09:20 AM
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #36
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
My gps showed this was the way to the rocket range. Its a small two track trail that my gps shows will end up at the rocket site.

Eventually the trail lead to a dead end that I had to turn around at, but at least it had some nice views of lake superior along the way. This trail was very rocky and muddy but my tire choice for the trip proved to be invaluable.

Back out on the main dirt road after almost 1 1/2 hours on Horse shoe trail.

For anyone else that goes up that way, Horse shoe trail leads to a dead end. Picked up some mud as a souvenir on the klr.

Really enjoying your ride and pictures! Here is a map to the rocket range. Hope it helps pinpoint it for anyone else looking for it. GPS file here.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #37
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Really enjoying your ride and pictures! Here is a map to the rocket range. Hope it helps pinpoint it for anyone else looking for it. GPS file here.

Thanks for the link Cannonshot, since I didn't find it this time its just another reason for me to go back up there again. Thanks for the GPS track as well. I looked at the rest of your Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail thread, that looks awesome. I didn't get to ride as much dirt as I wanted to. Only so much time to do the trip and riding in the sand and dirt really slows me down when I need to cover some ground. How long does it take to do that ride?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #38
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,479
That is one ugly KLR!

Congratulations on your spelling of "Tahquamenon"....I went to school in Newberry, and the school district is called the "Tahquamenon Area High School". Its a good thing buses are long, because that is painted on the side of every one!

Excellent trip and photos!

Next time, swing by and say "HI"...the following picture was taken less than 10 minutes from my house.

Quote:

Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
Quote:
Thanks for the link Cannonshot, since I didn't find it this time its just another reason for me to go back up there again. Thanks for the GPS track as well. I looked at the rest of your Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail thread, that looks awesome. I didn't get to ride as much dirt as I wanted to. Only so much time to do the trip and riding in the sand and dirt really slows me down when I need to cover some ground. How long does it take to do that ride?
If you sight-see, I would say 5-6 days. If you ride sporty and aren't much of a tourist, 4 days. It can also be broken into two sections (east and west) and ridden over two long weekends.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Love the report and pictures. Just a beautiful looking area. Makes me want to pack up and move there away from it all. I grew up in northern Illinois, and only made it to the UP 1 time as a 9 year old kid with my dad on a back packing trip. I still remember items from that trip clear as day. This report brought back those memories again. Thanks.

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #41
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
That is one ugly KLR!

Congratulations on your spelling of "Tahquamenon"....I went to school in Newberry, and the school district is called the "Tahquamenon Area High School". Its a good thing buses are long, because that is painted on the side of every one!

Excellent trip and photos!

Next time, swing by and say "HI"...the following picture was taken less than 10 minutes from my house.
Ugly is just the way I like it. Who else would ride a purple, teal, with a bit of pink on the gas tank klr?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 342
Great report! I've got a 1990 that I have gone completely through over the last several months, with the idea of my daughter learning to ride on it. The same bike worked great as a learner for my son, he's now on a 650. She hasn't been overly enthusiastic, and just as with her brother, I don't want to push it or it won't be any fun. So I've been bombing around on it when weather permits lately, and it is an absolute blast. What my V-Strom is to my Concours, the 250 is to my V-Strom,

Anywaaaaay, what I really wanted to say besides congratulating you on the report and all, is what kind of rack are you sporting off the back there? Thanks, and keep it up!
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #43
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
Beautiful scenery and roads. I must add it to my want to ride areas list. Great color. We spend the summers in Grand Marais, MN and need to check out that area this summer. Thanks for sharing.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #44
mattysuehurricne
Adventure Fabricator

Oddometer: 74
Nice report

A friend and I decided to ride the mccct over the summer as it was not too far from Buffalo and we hadn't realized the amount of ohv trails you have up there.... We rode about 300 miles of it and had enough.... That damn sand up there was the most annoying riding I've ever done. Your pictures reminded me of it.... We actually stopped form lunch and my buddy was just not enjoying himself so I made the call and we ripped highway back to the park and ride loaded up drove straight through to PA and rode the rest off the week in Sproul State Forest.... If you ever have the chance Renovo PA has a fall festival and there is hyner view sp nearby.... Sooo much to explore between dirt roads forest roads logging roads and all kinds of trails off of each to explore.... And no sand.... Lots of rock mud and roots though to enjoy

But either way nice ride nice bike I just picked up an equally ugly turquoise 95 650
mattysuehurricne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #45
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Love this ride report. I'm down in Sturgis (believed you passed through this town on your US12 ride). Group of local riders and I are traveling up in the UP in late June, all pavement ride though so supermoto wheels will be bolted on. Maybe later on I'll get up there like you and take on some of the dirt and trails.

Found any good restaurants along the trip?
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote