User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
k12lts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Braided Stainless brake lines 81 R100RT

I need to replace the rubber brake lines on a newly aquired 81 R100RT. Any suggestions on brand or best price?

The best I've found are at Moto Bins in the UK.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Beamer Bum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Spiegler

Spiegler has kits for your bike. http://www.spieglerusa.com/brakes/cy...line-kits.html.
Made in USA and the braided lines make your brakes feel much firmer.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,617
Call cyclebbrakes.com they do custom Galfer's for something like $60, with a discount to ADVR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by k12lts View Post
I need to replace the rubber brake lines on a newly aquired 81 R100RT. Any suggestions on brand or best price?

The best I've found are at Moto Bins in the UK.
I have used Spiegler's on a couple of my bikes and the difference in braking is significant but I'd also suggest that you rebuild or at least bleed your brakes for the best results.

With an unknown, used bike, I like to rebuild em.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 08:23 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
I've just spent the last couple of days on mine.....rebuilt the 40 mm ATE calipers, fitted a new Brembo 13mm master cylinder...but the old hoses for test purposes.
Took me ages to get the air out....ended up with the calipers removed, sitting bleed nipples up on a box with a 25mm bar inserted in the calipers....
Got a reasonable 'pedal' but could with some effort pull the lever to the grip.Used up over a litre of fluid...
Today got some Allegri brand hoses that you buy in pre made lengths and bolt/loctite on the couplings.
Braided hoses used to be illegal here in NZ but this type meet our local standards.
Just finished my initial setting with the new hoses using the refined box/bar method....have already got a better 'pedal' on the lever, only 250 mils.....getting better at this...
Going to leave the lever with a carb rubber ring on it overnight and go and have a beer....its 24C here
I put a set on my Bevel a year or so back and it was definitely an improvement over the original 1978 ones...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
The common upgrade from the oem brake lines are ss lines. After 30 years, they'll feel fantastically improved over the discards. So will a set of oem rubber lines, and they'll feel just as good as new ss.

With the multitude of ss options available, I'm guessing they'll be cheaper??

Another option is Venhill, via ebay.

Voltaire...try loosening the master cylinder and tilting it a bit to allow the air to bleed better. A mate does it that way and swears by it.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Incredibly short memories you guys have.
BMWRENCH makes these line to order.
www.thenickwackettgarage.com
He's gives professional advice here constantly
for free.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 06:51 AM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
He's gives professional advice her constantly/
for free.
From his website...

Quote:
Custom Brake Lines There are now several companies making braided hoses, but mine are the only ones made by someone who is intimately familiar with BMWs and classic Triumphs. If you have a problem with the fit, or need a custom hose, you can call me. You’ll be speaking to the guy who makes them and has probably installed them on a bike just like yours.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,400
New braided teflon is a lot better than new rubber and lasts a lot longer too. My braided teflon lines are over twenty years old and they are just as firm as the day I got them. I have recently seen a rash of trouble caused by rubber lines going bad. Why bother with it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
I fitted new pads and changed my brake fluid a couple of days ago - as an experiment I clamped the hose at the top, and the lever was rock hard.... then I clamped at the bottom of the hose and it was rock hard. With no clamp there is some softness in the lever. No real test with new pads of course, but I'm pretty confident there is no flex in my old rubber hoses. I might have to get my wife to recheck for me as I'm a bit weak - I tend to cry at sad movies.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I fitted new pads and changed my brake fluid a couple of days ago - as an experiment I clamped the hose at the top, and the lever was rock hard.... then I clamped at the bottom of the hose and it was rock hard. With no clamp there is some softness in the lever. No real test with new pads of course, but I'm pretty confident there is no flex in my old rubber hoses. I might have to get my wife to recheck for me as I'm a bit weak - I tend to cry at sad movies.

"Clamped"?... please explain what that means.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
Brake hose clamp - used when doing work on brake systems. I usually clamp the hose so when I push the pistons back fluid won't go back up into the master cyl. Also used in brake diagnosis (on cars) - clamp each wheel to see where problems are.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
k12lts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
He's gives professional advice her constantly/
for free.
Thanks for all the tips, I sent an email to these guys today.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I have also used Spiegler's SS lines on my 81 RT. Got the complete kit that included the one for the back brake as well. Made a huge improvement. I have installed Spiegler lines on many bikes and have always found the fitment to be just about perfect.

Easiest way to bleed the back brake and actually make it work is to leave it on the bike. Get a couple of large syringes and use one to suck all the brake fluid out of the master cylinder, Then fill the other clean one with new brake fluid and use a small piece of clear tubing to attach it to the bleed nipple on the caliper, open up the nipple and slowly force brake fluid into the system. Eventually it will fill the master cylinder. Do this a couple of times and you should have a good solid brake pedal. I flush my brake fluid every 2 years this way. Always have a good working rear disk on my bikes.

As to the person that clamps his brake hose so that he can press the caliper pistons in without brake fluid going up into the master cylinder. Just were the hell does it go then? Also, I don't believe that clamping a hose does it any good, tends to weaken the hose at that point and will become a failure point. On something so critical as the braking system, I would not want to do anything that may compromise it, especially in an emergency stop situation.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
If you want to make your own, pull the hoses on the bike, measure the diameter and threads of the banjo bolts and fittings. Then carefully write down what fittings go where, the number you need and go to Advance Autozone and order Earl's brake line stuff. It'll take a few days to get in, assemble it and you'll be done.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote