Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #151
HamAce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I've only seen 2 Supermotos on the street around here (city of 1.5 million with lots of bikes), so it doesn't surprise me much. I've always loved the idea, look, and feel behind the bikes, but I never considered buying one; just not practical.
I have just recently sold my Husky '07 450SMR (regrettably), in search of wider pastures, and dirt roads. But I have to say that it was the steepest learning curve, most exciting riding I have done. I would regularly smash Ducati's off the lights, with them laughing at me shaking their heads. I am a huge ambassador for the Super Motard. Pity Husky have done away with the 630..
HamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #152
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
I'm right here. I just picked up this beauty about 2 months ago. 2003 625 SXC converted to supermoto. I forgot how much much I love the LC4's. Funny, this vibrates WAY less than my 640 adventures. I still have my 96 DR650 with dirt and supermoto setup. I put the supermoto set on my DR 2 years ago and have had my dirt setup on once since then. I recently did a 1500 mile, 4 day trip on my DR with the Supermoto setup and did about 150 miles of dirt with no issues. If I had to have one bike it would be a 650 class single.

My DR650 halfway through the Rattlesnake in SE Washington/NE Oregon.

From 9-2012 SE Washington/NE Oregon

On a side not check out the Michelin Pilot Road 3 for long life supermot tires. Great for the wet PNW.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #153
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 439
I prefer the term "Sport-tourer"
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #154
calfinm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Sold my SM wheels and bought a 19/17 setup too. Suits me a lot better.

Wow, I have a 530 that ive been struggling with exactly what its place in my life is since getting a wr250x (other than the obvious every time i ride it ear to ear grin )...i think you just solved it.. Great looking bike
calfinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #155
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,414
I just went through the first five pages of Thumpers, and found nothing.

Despite that, I know I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Apparently, the DRZ-SM is back for 2013...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%....aspx#Overview

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #156
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Yay, the same old DRZ...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #157
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Having ridden a pretty powerful sport bike/sport-tourer (1200 Bandit), I can say that I find dual sports to be more practical and even more fun to ride. I will admit I have never really understood the supermoto thing, though I have given it thought since I tend to respect every motorcycle for the type of experience it offers.

When im on my bandit (cammed, header/exhaust, timing advance, jetted, 1 tooth down front sprocket), I have "power" through the throttle grip- sheer brutal acceleration and torque (Bandits have a lot of midrange) that allows me to pull out in the smallest of gaps, completely OWN any vehicle I see, and of course to FEEL that rush as the speedo climbs.. too fast. But then, it feels limiting to me as well. You can only use that power so much. You can only ride on the roads available. You can only push in a corner so much because you have to watch out for asshats pulling out in front of you, cats, deer, cops, oil on the street, dirt, gravel, etc. You are in a prison of sorts. With a dual sport, that "power" is that there is no road. That big 21" inch front (and accompanying knobbies) makes curbs, stairs, parking lots, ditches, yards, etc feel like part of the road- just made of different materials.

Where im going with this: if I had to guess why supermotos arent super popular, I would say its because they take on all the limitations of a streetbike (except they do have more suspension travel) where they are fairly limited to street (bar exceptional skill) while having few of the usable benefits of a streetbike- namely power (but also storage, comfort, etc). They dont have the power of a sportbike (most of us love power), the comfort of a crusier, or the go-anywhere of a dual sport. Supermoto on the track makes sense to me as there arent so many variables and I can see why it would be fun; loooots of lean angle, low weight, and the speeds are slow enough relative to some literbike that you can enjoy it without being so close to death.

Not trying to say any of you sumos are wrong (ride what makes you smile)- just explaining it from the perspective of a guy who loves all bikes but doesnt really find the supermoto gig appealing
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #158
crash279
DFW Supermoto Crew

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Having ridden a pretty powerful sport bike/sport-tourer (1200 Bandit), I can say that I find dual sports to be more practical and even more fun to ride. I will admit I have never really understood the supermoto thing, though I have given it thought since I tend to respect every motorcycle for the type of experience it offers.

When im on my bandit (cammed, header/exhaust, timing advance, jetted, 1 tooth down front sprocket), I have "power" through the throttle grip- sheer brutal acceleration and torque (Bandits have a lot of midrange) that allows me to pull out in the smallest of gaps, completely OWN any vehicle I see, and of course to FEEL that rush as the speedo climbs.. too fast. But then, it feels limiting to me as well. You can only use that power so much. You can only ride on the roads available. You can only push in a corner so much because you have to watch out for asshats pulling out in front of you, cats, deer, cops, oil on the street, dirt, gravel, etc. You are in a prison of sorts. With a dual sport, that "power" is that there is no road. That big 21" inch front (and accompanying knobbies) makes curbs, stairs, parking lots, ditches, yards, etc feel like part of the road- just made of different materials.

Where im going with this: if I had to guess why supermotos arent super popular, I would say its because they take on all the limitations of a streetbike (except they do have more suspension travel) where they are fairly limited to street (bar exceptional skill) while having few of the usable benefits of a streetbike- namely power (but also storage, comfort, etc). They dont have the power of a sportbike (most of us love power), the comfort of a crusier, or the go-anywhere of a dual sport. Supermoto on the track makes sense to me as there arent so many variables and I can see why it would be fun; loooots of lean angle, low weight, and the speeds are slow enough relative to some literbike that you can enjoy it without being so close to death.

Not trying to say any of you sumos are wrong (ride what makes you smile)- just explaining it from the perspective of a guy who loves all bikes but doesnt really find the supermoto gig appealing
You have it waaaaaay wrong. We ride almost as much off-road as on-road. I have yet to see/meet a sportbike that can beat a supermoto stoplight to stoplight, and turn urban areas into a huge playground. Look up DFW supermoto on YouTube for some proof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
crash279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #159
plutonic
Banned

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:

Wow... I thought I will never see a good explanation of a phrase " the glass is half empty ".
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #160
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonic View Post
Wow... I thought I will never see a good explanation of a phrase " the glass is half empty ".

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #161
crash279
DFW Supermoto Crew

Oddometer: 40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_z4Xu_mhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-pN1z74Ib4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1zdarPRJQ

crash279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #162
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereisnoSpoon View Post
Not sure exactly and I don't have access to it right now to look. They said it was a tire for an aircraft landing wheel.

It worked pretty well, even in loose sand.
for my understanding this is a racing rain tire, most probably an older metz or michelin...
being an aircraft engineer I at least can say I never saw a plane where such a tire was fitted...
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #163
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfinm View Post
Great looking bike
Meaning you really like this most probably perfect working, but ugliest headlight ever seen
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #164
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:

I feel the same way....but I've never ridden a supermoto, so I'm going to reserve final judgement till I get a chance
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #165
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Make sure that you ride it off-road with 70/30 tires. Watch the videos - the dirt performance is awesome, as long as you're not trying difficult single-track.

The tire/suspensoin combination make the urban curbs, bumps and potholes disappear, just like on a DS, but with much better street manners. A true SM is but built on a racing MX/Enduro chassis - a DS with SM wheels and tires, adjusted suspension and rake/trail is simply a DS with a different set of compromises. Some like it, some don't but they rail almost anywhere they go!

Edit: I think that the reason that they didn't really catch on in the USA is that there hasn't been a consistent racing series here to promote the concept, or am I wrong? They started the racing series in Europe, right? and the trend went pretty quickly to the streets?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote