Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #181
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Great fun for hooligan antics and great on the twisty's. But totally useless for most of the riding I now do. I actually GO PLACES ... for days or weeks at a time. I rarely see SUMO's set up for touring. I struggled to strap a duffel on the back, so two to three days max and never two up.
This is why I picked up a 990 SMT. Check out the 950SM thread in Road Warriors. Quite a few set up for touring.

Also, with the 640 I put together, it has a little TT rack, tank bag, 18l tank and I have some Ortlieb bags for it. I've done a 3 month trip with that same set up.
2 up would still be a bad idea.

I see what you're saying though. A full out MX bike converted to SuMo would not be pleasant on a long trip.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #182
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
A full out MX bike converted to SuMo would not be pleasant on a long trip.
It's not that bad with a Renazco seat! I've done lots of 2-up riding and am sure there are better bikes for it, but not many (any?) that are more versatile.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #183
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post

Wouldn’t a KTM Adventurer or BMW GS be better for long distance touring?
I ride my DR650 with 17” wheels more than any other bike I’ve owned. Usage of a particular motorcycle depends on geographical location and rider preference more than anything else. I wouldn’t trade my current set up for anything else (except maybe a sumo’ed KTM 690) . I think there will always be a place for supermoto type bikes, but I’ll agree it will never be a huge part of the overall motorcycle market.
As far as the fad goes there still seems to be a lot of ex-sportbike riders switching to supermoto, maybe a sign of the economy?
I agree, lots of sport bike guys coming over to SUMO bikes. A good thing.
You don't need to go 150 mph on the street to have fun.

Both KTM and GS are great ... but pretty expensive (even used) and maintenance intensive. On the road both are better/faster/smoother than my DR650. A talented mechanic can keep them going but most need dealer help to solve things like ABS or CANbus fault codes of the BMW.

I've got about $3500 into my DR650 ... and it hasn't cost a dime beyond tires, oil, chain/sprockets ... and it's never left me stranded. Off road it crashes a HELL OF A LOT better than any plastic clad KTM or GS or fancy SUMO bike. So cheaper there too.

If you crash riding alone in the Desert, its nice to have a bike that you know will keep going and not sustain much damage. Don't want to end up like the bleached bones in this pic (Baja). Both the KTM and GS can do OK on mild off road. But fully loaded can be a handful in deep sand or more technical rocky/steep going.
Anyone ever ridden a SUMO in deep sand? Somehow those 17" tires just don't work!

The DR650, once set up, does pretty well. A SUMO version could do OK but I might be a bit nervous about the 17" sport bike wheels getting dinged or cracked.
I've ridden the DR650 through Baja many times. It's set up as a RTW bike ... just haven't found the time/money to actually DO a RTW trip.
Only made it to Guatemala so far, out to Colorado and back and another trip out to Moab. No trucks or trailers, I rode there ... and back. Near 50,000 miles now.

Sumo's are perfect for weekend day riders who want to get out and rip up the back roads. Nothing better ... and safer and really more fun than a 150 HP sport bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #184
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post

Wouldn’t a KTM Adventurer or BMW GS be better for long distance touring?
I ride my DR650 with 17” wheels more than any other bike I’ve owned. Usage of a particular motorcycle depends on geographical location and rider preference more than anything else. I wouldn’t trade my current set up for anything else (except maybe a sumo’ed KTM 690) . I think there will always be a place for supermoto type bikes, but I’ll agree it will never be a huge part of the overall motorcycle market.
As far as the fad goes there still seems to be a lot of ex-sportbike riders switching to supermoto, maybe a sign of the economy?
I bought a DR650SM this summer largely because the roads where I live are very poorly maintained and I was getting beat up on my road bikes...love it and ended up selling my Monster and buying a Tiger 955i, short travel suspension didn't cut it any more. The DR works great on the dirt roads I ride as is, will buy a 19" front wheel and run ADV tires if I get more ambitious...that way both bikes would run the same tire sizes (150/70-17 and 110/80-19)

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #185
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Anyone ever ridden a SUMO in deep sand? Somehow those 17" tires just don't work!
The key is to have two wheel sets each intended for their primary purpose and the right machine that they can be bolted to. I use a 21/18 dirt set up to get me in remote locations..

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #186
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

That looks like a pass going out of Ophir, Colorado. Is it?
I'll post up a pic I have of that area. Looks almost identical. Snow and all!
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #187
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,843
not Ophir pass.. the first photo is heading up to Imogene Pass out of Teluride

The second photo is from the end of Yankee Boy Basin.. if my memory serves me correctly

coming down the other side of Imogene,, took a few hours to clear the snow that had drifted deeply over the road enough to allow a safe descent without going over the edge or getting continually stuck and digging out .. sorry about the hyjack

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #188
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
No Hijack ... who doesn't like great pics with bikes in them?
I did those Colorado passes on street tires! MY BAD!

My poor DR had Avon Distanzias (Blue bike). All the KLR's had knobbies.
This was in July!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #189
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
Supermotos are great bikes, but do not have wide appeal. Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Honda all dropped them because they did not sell well enough to be profitable. If you want one, just get a dual sport and build it. I never considered buying one, because none of them came with centerstands, and they use tubeless tires with tubes in them. I considered buying a used DR650 and building a supermoto out of it. It's a simple air cooled carbed bike, and an aftermarket centerstand is available for it. I might still do it, but I have bought and sold so many bikes lately I no longer have any extra cash.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #190
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
not Ophir pass.. the first photo is heading up to Imogene Pass out of Teluride

Yes! That's the one! Teluride!

It's been a few years.

I knew it looked familiar. Did it as part of the TAT.
ATC350X
550MXC