Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #106
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,268

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #107
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

they are probably the most practical city motorcycles made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
+2 Cutting through parking lots, potholes, no worries while parked. All around great getaround scooters and fun.

+3

Single cylinder not having to run at 5,000rpms in 35-45mph traffic just so it's in the band...

Then the streetbike can never really USE all it's power...

Quote:
55-8-152. Speed limits -- Penalties.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (c), it is unlawful for any person to operate or drive a motor vehicle upon any highway or public road of this state in excess of sixty-five miles per hour (65 mph).
High insurance/squid fatality rate.

A SM is not 450lbs.

Less complex engine...

If only a few stunter shows (Jason Britten) would show them they'd taker off quicker than a Kawisaki Ninja without a fairing (ER650n)... (hint)

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 10:32 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #108
kkrider
mountain endurance rider

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well sure just ignore the best of the bunch the 690 SMC to make your point. The fact is, the DRZ, and WR make crappy SM's mainly because they have such shitty power to weight ratio's. As for Husky, if they truly have discontinued the 630 SM, it's probably because something else close to it is in the works and we'll see it when they finalize their street bike lineup.

Something like this maybe:

That is pretty nice.
kkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #109
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
The gig is up!THe companies found out and realized how much fun you guys were having and said WE cant allow ll these people to have all that FUN ! FUN no WAY in hell was that gonna fly anymore! So they cut production ok now back to WORK nothing to see here.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #110
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

they are probably the most practical city motorcycles made.
Practical? For what they cost? A basic cheap bike of any sort that gets good mileage is a city bike. Blander the better so they dont get stolen.
Hard to go fast and slide corners in a city so a Super-Moto is a poseur city bike for the most part.
I think most people buy su-mo bikes for the look anyway.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #111
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
If only Husky had given us the STR (the concept bike pictured above in Post 108) before BMW purchased them! Instead, we get the TR650 Strada. Even the SMS-630 was a much better option, alas also now gone from the USA.

[Edit: when I saved a copy of the photo, I noticed that its title is transposed. It is STR, not SRT.]

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #112
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,268
The lastest picture of my L

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #113
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Practical? For what they cost?
If you're talking about a real race supermoto, sure. But a low-tech dirtbike/dualsport with 17" wheels can be had for a VERY reasonable price.

Quote:
A basic cheap bike of any sort that gets good mileage is a city bike.
I have $6K total in both of my bikes, one bought new and the other with <4K miles. 75mpg for the CRF230, 50mpg for the DR650.

Quote:
Blander the better so they dont get stolen.
Ugly and drop-tolerant -- check.

Quote:
Hard to go fast and slide corners in a city
Not hard in my city, unless by "fast" you mean >85mph. Light bikes, wide sticky tires, and 17" front wheels make for agile cornering at city speeds -- better than the dirtbikes and dualsports that are their ancestors.

Quote:
so a Super-Moto is a poseur city bike for the most part.
Low-tech sumos are light, nimble, easy to maintain, look OK when filthy, are ridiculously cheap to insure, and provide great visibility in traffic (upright riding position, tall-ish seat). At least once or twice a month I go over curbs and train tracks in gravel rail beds to take a shortcut -- try that on your street bike.

Quote:
I think most people buy su-mo bikes for the look anyway.
Personally, I think supermotos look pretty crappy (especially mine). But for my urban riding (lots of low-speed turns, no luggage, park inside my building at work after pushing the bike up a ramp) they are a practical year-round commuter.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #114
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Supermotos are the perfection of all two-wheeled beauty.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #115
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
I agree sm's have their niche, unfortunately I think its too small for manufacturers to make a profit at. You can pick up a ds and leave it dual-sported, and have the ability to do what a sm can do+ hit the dirt. A sm has to try and compete with true street bikes, which they can only do for city commuting.....once you try and take a real road ride or a long freeway run, you find out how uncomfortable and underpowered a single cylinder no wind protection sm really is for serious street duty.
They're cool bikes for some, or if you can own multiple machines, but it seems like for the majority they aren't working well enough to buy?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #116
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 419
This bike has it's Niche for sure. I got 17"s on order, gonna have (2) sets of complete wheels, best of both worlds.
although not the world beater SM, I think XR650L's have a very decent platform to work with

Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #117
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I agree sm's have their niche, unfortunately I think its too small for manufacturers to make a profit at. You can pick up a ds and leave it dual-sported, and have the ability to do what a sm can do+ hit the dirt. A sm has to try and compete with true street bikes, which they can only do for city commuting.....once you try and take a real road ride or a long freeway run, you find out how uncomfortable and underpowered a single cylinder no wind protection sm really is for serious street duty.
They're cool bikes for some, or if you can own multiple machines, but it seems like for the majority they aren't working well enough to buy?
I ride my girlfriends SM630 at 80 mph with ease and the wind blast with clean air is not too bad with a good helmet (Shoei Quest), as good as any other non-fared bike. Plus when you need the binders or side of the road to avoid an ER visit from a texting cager.. there is nothing better than a SM.

Found it so fun to ride that I picked up a pair of 17" SM wheels for my TE630 to swap out the with real dirt tires.

As for long freeway ride.. 250 miles+.. agree.. I'd take my FJR and nock off 1000+ miles a day with ease but now we are talking something other than a "city bike".

Not really sure what experiences you have had to reach your conclusions but they differ from mine??
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Fast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #118
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
A Supermoto is better on dry dirt than skinny knobbies are on pavement! I run 19s on my XR650R, which is the best of both worlds!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #119
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
While SMs make crappy street or dirt bikes, I seldom ride mine. But they are CRAZY FUN and great way to go to jail and/or lose you license! I laugh out loud when I do ride it and it's never leaving the stable!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #120
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Duke 390 confirmed

While not a SM (lacks the suspension travel and the dirt-bike frame geometry, the Duke 390 confirmed today should be an enjoyable, nimble street thumper. Specs say 44 hp and 324 lbs. wet with full tank. Suspension travel of 5.9" and 6.7" ground clearance sounds OK for the urban environment.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote