Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGardenSnake
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #122
RoberTx
Blind man ridin'

Oddometer: 282
Marketing analysts run the show, not the consumer. Motorcycling is being turned into cults of fadists.
RoberTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #123
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbuddy View Post
Pumpkin hand guards, GENIUS!!!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #124
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I'm thinking about picking up a street legal sumo. I lust after the Aprilia SXV 550 but, in a risk benefit analysis they are WAY to frageelay (that's Italian I think). What bike comes in second on stock horsepower?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #125
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
If you're talking about a real race supermoto, sure. But a low-tech dirtbike/dualsport with 17" wheels can be had for a VERY reasonable price.

I have $6K total in both of my bikes, one bought new and the other with <4K miles. 75mpg for the CRF230, 50mpg for the DR650.

Ugly and drop-tolerant -- check.

Not hard in my city, unless by "fast" you mean >85mph. Light bikes, wide sticky tires, and 17" front wheels make for agile cornering at city speeds -- better than the dirtbikes and dualsports that are their ancestors.

Low-tech sumos are light, nimble, easy to maintain, look OK when filthy, are ridiculously cheap to insure, and provide great visibility in traffic (upright riding position, tall-ish seat). At least once or twice a month I go over curbs and train tracks in gravel rail beds to take a shortcut -- try that on your street bike.

Personally, I think supermotos look pretty crappy (especially mine). But for my urban riding (lots of low-speed turns, no luggage, park inside my building at work after pushing the bike up a ramp) they are a practical year-round commuter.
I have the 19"/17" combo wheels on my DR650,fat Excel rims,an inmate here gave me a great deal on them. I have ended up leaving them on the bike all the time mostly,it just works good that way.
Honestly on a tight bumpy coastal backroad it would be hard to go faster/safer then that bike will go.
It just rips and takes no notice of bumps or potholes.

I dont go fast anywhere near civilization as those cars have sharp points on them and arent any fun to play with.
Riding in the gravel by train tracks around here is begging for a flat tire,the amount of metallic junk around train tracks is not good.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #126
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a street legal sumo. I lust after the Aprilia SXV 550 but, in a risk benefit analysis they are WAY to frageelay (that's Italian I think). What bike comes in second on stock horsepower?
Why take second place? Find a lightly used KTM 950 SM.
A guy has a fully set up 690SM on craigslist here in Chico,I try not to look at that add much. Its pretty.........
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #127
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx View Post
Marketing analysts run the show, not the consumer. Motorcycling is being turned into cults of fadists.
This is true, the only problem with this is they are only able to analyze the sales numbers of the bikes they sell and make available for the people to buy. This of course doesn't include the number of bikes people convert or modify for their uses because the manufacturers don't sell what they want.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #128
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Smr

There's one in my garage. I am thinking of selling or trading my SMR 990. I love the motorcycle ..but I don't ride it enough. It makes fun of me each time I walk by it. I reckon the bike knows I don't have the balls to exercise it the way it needs. I wish I could push a button and turn it into a S.E.or 690 enduro. I love the motorcycle...but don't need the motorcycle. I guess I'm getting old. I have composed a "for sale" add a couple times only to chicken out before posting. What I need is a shrink.!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #129
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
There's one in my garage. I am thinking of selling or trading my SMR 990. I love the motorcycle ..but I don't ride it enough. It makes fun of me each time I walk by it. I reckon the bike knows I don't have the balls to exercise it the way it needs. I wish I could push a button and turn it into a S.E.or 690 enduro. I love the motorcycle...but don't need the motorcycle. I guess I'm getting old. I have composed a "for sale" add a couple times only to chicken out before posting. What I need is a shrink.!

Just pm me with your problems with all the details ?

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #130
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have the 19"/17" combo wheels on my DR650,fat Excel rims,an inmate here gave me a great deal on them. I have ended up leaving them on the bike all the time mostly,it just works good that way.
Honestly on a tight bumpy coastal backroad it would be hard to go faster/safer then that bike will go.
It just rips and takes no notice of bumps or potholes.

I dont go fast anywhere near civilization as those cars have sharp points on them and arent any fun to play with.
Riding in the gravel by train tracks around here is begging for a flat tire,the amount of metallic junk around train tracks is not
good.

i was looking in to a old trail bike like a 350 or 450 then getting 17/17 for it just fit hand gaurds, bashplate. take of the flashers and then just have fun on it. as it be cheap to run and if it has a rack i just carry a lock to make sure its where i left it.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #131
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
I hate to admit it, but the lack of factory SM's may be a blessing in disguise...

Why, you ask? Because, like everything else, the factory SM bikes were suffering from scope creep. Manufacturers began making giant SM's, such as my Aprilia Dorsoduro (750 being discontinued, 1200 only now), the big KTM SM, and the Ducati Hypermotard. These bikes are all fun, but true supermotos have been eclipsed by the marketing for these "mega-motos".

For the true SM experience, you are better off with a true dual sport dirt bike with street tires. Light, agile, and raw; less is more. As long as they make 250-400 street legal thumpers, the supermoto is within the reach of the average buyer.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #132
crash279
DFW Supermoto Crew

Oddometer: 41
We have a healthy group in the DFW area:

crash279 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:49 PM
crash279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #133
crash279
DFW Supermoto Crew

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Gotta bring 'em up right
crash279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #134
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
i use to have a road legal pitbike that was a crf50 size motard and it was great fun. i would love to get a crf70 size one on 12/12 with a 160cc motor would be so much fun on back road ect.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #135
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
i use to have a road legal pitbike that was a crf50 size motard and it was great fun. i would love to get a crf70 size one on 12/12 with a 160cc motor would be so much fun on back road ect.
Why take a CRF 70 to a 160 and mount 12's ? The CRF 150R is a more popular choice and they rip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=g77P0uuIB2Q#!

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote