Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
another frustrating day of work on the airhead...

Not really looking for advice...just venting. Went to change out my clutch (see thread here)

Finally got in new friction disk/diaphragm. I dig into it today. Everything came apart easy. Was to the clutch in 1.5 hours. (only second time doing it). Started to reassemble and had the wrong bolts to start the clutch...have no idea how. Went to the store a few weeks ago with a few extra of the old bolts in my hand. Off to the store I go to get the right ones.

Clutch goes together, then there is an alignment issue with the bottom of the trans...in and out and in and out trying to figure that one out. At the same time find that my top left trans mount bolt doesnt want to thread all the way in. Looks normal to me with a mirror, cleaned it out, coaxed bolt, went in fine for awhile then stopped about halfway to where it should go. It doesnt look like it, but only thing I can figure is its crossthreaded. Checked it with a level, seems straight, who knows. Going to have to come up with a tap....not looking forward to that one. Decide to put it back together with the three bolts for now. Get tranny to seat...im on my way...nope...

Now one of the driveshaft bolts wont start right. Tried diff bolts in the hole and all do the same thing, Start easy, then stop. Now afraid that I have damaged this one too. Going to have get it off there and come up with a tap...

grrr..... kill me now.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
240sx4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Boo! I hate it when stuff like that happens. I would recommend using a thread chaser set. I bought a set years ago and they have saved me quite a few times.
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,334
There should not be a problem putting any of these bolts in. The proper way to install any bolt is to start it by hand. That is insert and turn with the finger tips. Usually a little reverse rotation of the bolt will allow the start of the thread to click into place, you can feel this happen, then forward with the fingers till bolt is just snugged up. Usually all bolts are installed with finger pressure only and then you move to the wrenches or sockets. Sometimes parts being mounted have to be jiggled, lifted in the rear, to relieve pressure from alignment issues till the bolt is free to turn. Try this with the transmission, with the transmission not mounted, only the bare rear of the engine, install all the bolts that hold the trans in place. You should be able to install all the bolts finger tight, all the way in, or until they bottom out. After threads are confirmed OK then try to put in trans.

If you are having issues with threads that you have put together before then you probably over torqued these threads the first time. It is a common problem to destroy threads by over tightening. Retapping the threads you have will be of limited value. If the threads are damaged they will need HeliCoils. Not any fun at all. Get a grip on this issue, don't over tighten things and don't put in fasteners crooked.

When you put a transmission on the rear of the engine it has to be lifted to install the bolts. It will want to fall off. You lift and install one, lift again and install two. That's the top. Run these down finger tight till you can install the bottoms. Jiggle.

Finger tight. Then wrenches.

The bolts holding the clutch apparatus on the flywheel are a hardened special bolt. I wouldn't trust hardware store bolts in this application.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

well a great, no amazing neighbor of mine, who has gotten me out of more than one snafu, bailed me out once again. He just so happened to have a metric tap/die set. Came over and together got the threads chased in both the engine and the tranny output flange. Even a second set of eyes could not see anything amiss with the flange, but after carefully chasing the threads the bolt would now feed just fine.

Got tranny reinstalled and swingarm/driveshaft back on. Ran out of daylight, but should be able to get it going next day off.

Thanks for listening to me vent!
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,927
Patd

Patience & Attention To Detail

glad you didn't try to JAM it in...
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,000
Tell me about it...
I just finished a complete clutch componant replacement and rear main seal / oil pump cover o-ring on my Rat R100S sidecar rig.
Took a lot of care (from my standpoint) assembling everything. I ran the engine (rebuilt heads too) for a number of warm up cycles and all looked good, no leaks evident. Got the sidecar all mounted up and today took her for a 40 mile slab run at 60 - 70 mph.....damned oil drip coming from behind the transmission again when I got home....WTF.........

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The bolts holding the clutch apparatus on the flywheel are a hardened special bolt. I wouldn't trust hardware store bolts in this application.
Pay attention to what Disston posted! There are several places where hardened or high strength nuts and bolts are used in these bikes and substitutions are not a good idea. The flywheel, clutch and drive shaft coupling are prime examples.

You have now been warned!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
Pay attention to what Disston posted! There are several places where hardened or high strength nuts and bolts are used in these bikes and substitutions are not a good idea. The flywheel, clutch and drive shaft coupling are prime examples.

You have now been warned!
Not sure why this came up, didnt use anything that wasnt designed for the bike other than the starter bolts for mounting the clutch
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Not sure why this came up, didnt use anything that wasnt designed for the bike other than the starter bolts for mounting the clutch
I think they interpreted that you used "dime store" bolts to mount the clutch pressure plate.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
This sounds like you meant the hardware store....

"Went to the store a few weeks ago with a few extra of the old bolts in my hand. Off to the store I go to get the right ones."

If it's not what I thought my apologies but better safe than sorry. I did the clutch last fall in my R90. I replaced a lot of old hardware and she was ever so much grateful, I thought.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
Tell me about it...
I just finished a complete clutch componant replacement and rear main seal / oil pump cover o-ring on my Rat R100S sidecar rig.
Took a lot of care (from my standpoint) assembling everything. I ran the engine (rebuilt heads too) for a number of warm up cycles and all looked good, no leaks evident. Got the sidecar all mounted up and today took her for a 40 mile slab run at 60 - 70 mph.....damned oil drip coming from behind the transmission again when I got home....WTF.........
Knew a guy who replaced the seal twice, still dripped. Finally figured out the block was cracked around the rear main.

Wound up replacing the block. The bike had been in a wreck 100K before - could have been that - or it was the serious power and work he damanded of it. Anyway, hope that's not the case with yours.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gotcha, maybe worded it wrong. "wrong bolts to start the clutch" Meaning the alignment bolts to pull it in and install. Actually after screwing up my old ones and not replacing the DS bolts, both were new proper factory stuff from maxbmw.
Quote:
Quote: