Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Matt77 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Harley Iron 883

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a while, reading with envy about where everyone is traveling and what bikes folks are doing it on. Anyway, got myself a profile and this is my first post so apologies if this pops up in the wrong forum ?

I've been without a bike for 6 years now (last bike was a Ducati Multistrada) and have finally managed to convince the Minster for War and Finance at home that I now need a new bike .

I'm weighing up a new Harley Iron 883 or one of the Triumph classic twins, the Bonneville, America or Scrambler. All very different bikes

I keep coming back to the Iron 888 but having never owned a HD, I'd be keen to get folks opinions, esp on the Iron 883. My previous bikes have been a BMW F650 GS and the Ducati Multistrada. I'll use the bike for commuting 3-4 times a week, weekend rides and maybe the odd bit of travel.

Cheers
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Harley dealers are always happy to let you take a test ride. Give it a go and see what you think. You have enough experience to make a valid comparison with your previous bikes and your current needs.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 296
I too like the Iron 883 and would like its looks and fuel efficiency. I would have buyer's remorse immediately after riding it and experiencing its roughly 1" rear suspension travel .

That new '12 blue color is one of the nicest looking paint colors I've seen -- especially combined with the new retro-looking tank decal. The mag wheels are a lot more practical than the Nightster's spokes both for flats and for getting a tire inflated.

So go get one of the blue Irons and throw on a pair of shocks with slightly longer travel and ride the hang out of it.

'fooz
Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt77 View Post
Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a while, reading with envy about where everyone is traveling and what bikes folks are doing it on. Anyway, got myself a profile and this is my first post so apologies if this pops up in the wrong forum ?

I've been without a bike for 6 years now (last bike was a Ducati Multistrada) and have finally managed to convince the Minster for War and Finance at home that I now need a new bike .

I'm weighing up a new Harley Iron 883 or one of the Triumph classic twins, the Bonneville, America or Scrambler. All very different bikes

I keep coming back to the Iron 888 but having never owned a HD, I'd be keen to get folks opinions, esp on the Iron 883. My previous bikes have been a BMW F650 GS and the Ducati Multistrada. I'll use the bike for commuting 3-4 times a week, weekend rides and maybe the odd bit of travel.

Cheers
First up, welcome to the zoo, Matt.

The Iron will do much , if not all of what you're looking for albeit in a manner
different from your previous experiences. New suspension front and rear will up its' handling performance and
comfort factor enormously.
The motor is ideal for back road / urban commuting but can get a little wheezie on the slab. The relatively upright riding
position is pretty good up to about 65 mph after which things get kind of drafty. The fuel tank means you'll be stopping
more frequently for fuel but given the ergos, that's not a bad thing.

The options exist to make it very much your own including punching it up to 1200 ( as i did with mine ) or 1250 CCs with no real effect on reliability. It's a pretty fine bike out of the box and for very little coin ( suspension ) can be improved dramatically. Or, you can join me and get totally excessive with it.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post

The Iron will do much , if not all of what you're looking for albeit in a manner
different from your previous experiences. New suspension front and rear will up its' handling performance and
The motor is ideal for back road / urban commuting but can get a little wheezie on the slab. The relatively upright riding
position is pretty good up to about 65 mph after which things get kind of drafty. The fuel tank means you'll be stopping

The options exist to make it very much your own including punching it up to 1200 ( as i did with mine ) or 1250 CCs with no real effect on reliability. It's a pretty fine bike out of the box and for very little coin ( suspension ) can be improved dramatically. Or, you can join me and get totally excessive with it.

Terry, there are few motorbikes that make me want to knock the rider off and steal it just to be able to ride it ten minutes. Yours is one.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt77 View Post
I'll use the bike for commuting 3-4 times a week, weekend rides and maybe the odd bit of travel.
Both bikes have that classic charm but it seems to me that Triumph is a better bike for all the things you mention: it is better for commuting because it is lighter, better for weekend rides because it handles better and I'd say it has a bit more 'go' than the Iron, and better for travel just because I think feet-forward position gets pretty uncomfortable for longer stretches.

I would say it is also far less common in your neck of the woods, which I guess could be considered either a plus or a minus. I'd lean towards a plus.

I don't know how they compare price-wise where you are but unless HD is seriously cheaper or you just want a Harley for no other reason than because it is a Harley, I would go with Triumph.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I've owned a 883 and ridden a few newer bonnies. The Triumph is a much better bike out of the box. Lighter, more power, better handling, more comfortable (especially for your passenger) and has all the reto kool ya need. I'd get the Scrambler just because it looks kool, but actually the Thruxton has all the good stuff (more power, better suspension) and with a bar change is just as comfortable. The sporty is kool too and has the aftermarket going for it but it will cost ya to get it as good as the triumph out of the box.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Terrytori
Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I'd say it has a bit more 'go' than the Iron, and better for travel just because I think feet-forward position gets pretty uncomfortable for longer stretches.

The Bonnie would be a better choice for long days in the saddle... I know... I've owned one and found it to
generally posses a more refined feel ... which is pretty much why I have the Sporty.

You will notice from the Pic above, that the Iron has mid controls rather than foot forward controls you
imagine it to have.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Matt77 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the responses folk.

I took the wife out to our local Triumph dealer and we both liked the America but Bonnie/Scrambler, well its a tough one. I need to ride all the bikes which once I've got new kit I will be doing. I'll keep you posted on how I go, and hopefully, what I end up with!
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
909KLRrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I picked up a 1200C in October 06 on ebay for 7500 It was 14 months old with 250 miles on it. It still had the factory warranty, I may digress to say my mother had a 06 883L and is was a bit low on power to run high speed on the freeway for extended periods. The gear ratio of the 883 trans is different from the 1200 makes for a gret upgrade to build he 883 to a 1200.. Commute wise I like the forward controls. @ 6'-3" I need to upgrade the suspension. HD has done a great job with a quality product and dependability. It is all a matter of preference. I want to add more M/C to my garage. Kids headed off to college are slowing that down . I have ridden the America and really like it. Good luck in your decision.
909KLRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
The America is a way different bike than the bonnie/scrambler. It is a heavier, raked out, cruiser with forward controls and poorer handling. Plus it just isn't a proper triumph classic kool bike imho. Closer call with the 883?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
that is hands down the best looking Harley I have ever seen. I would only change the handle bars if it where mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post

stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
that is hands down the best looking Harley I have ever seen. I would only change the handle bars if it where mine.
Not bad right out of the box either. IMO the 883 Iron is one of the best looking bikes ever.

While they could use a little help on the suspension (like almost every other bike sold) and they are a bit down on power from the 1200...
For bombing around town they are an absolute blast to ride. Sustained highway speeds 65+mph are NOT their forte'

Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #14
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,679
Yeah 883s "can" go at highway paces for extended periods.....

.....so can a 250 ninja, and one is as good as the other at it.

Depends if those are what you try them. Of the bunch you listed I'd go for a Thruxton, in the same class though I'd likely get a Ducati GT1000 before any of them. If I'm going to ride an airhead (not likely) I'll take the Duc's overachieving DS please.

Triumph 270* twin is a HUGE improvement over the 1960s-1970s bikes, but it rather uninspiring. I can't stand the 883, and the 1200 is only really tolerable after a bit of work.

But I'm not really a fan of air-cooled anything, so its a moot point.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #15
Terrytori
Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
As would I.

I ditched the higher bars in favor of the stock bars, a couple of months back.