User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
LostViking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Thread Hijack,

Terry, if your Bonnie looks anything like your collection of Sportys. I'd love to see a picture of it. For comparison purposes.

Also any pictures of you Iron bagged up?

Hijack Off.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Rode a 2006 XL883 for a while (and a 1984 XLX1000). My XL883 handled the freeway just fine. I also test rode an early Bonneville (just after the new Triumph came out with the Bonneville) and liked it a lot too. The Iron is fuel injected (my 2006 had a carb) and has shortened suspension for the lowered look (my 2006 had standard length suspension). Either of these bikes would make a fine ride.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Thread Hijack,

Terry, if your Bonnie looks anything like your collection of Sportys. I'd love to see a picture of it. For comparison purposes.

Also any pictures of you Iron bagged up?

Hijack Off.

Never did much to the Bonnie... I'll try to grab a couple of shots of the Iron bagged up in the next couple of days.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Terry, there are few motorbikes that make me want to knock the rider off and steal it just to be able to ride it ten minutes. Yours is one.

Cakeeater
no kidding. The guy knows how to photograph his machines and must employ an army of oompa loompas to keep them clean too.

He should be styling bikes for Cobra or HD or someone.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #20
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I've ridden at least one bike from almost every major manufacturer (and some minor ones), but for some weird reason I've never ridden a Harley. I've wrenched on a few though, and over time I've learned to appreciate them for what they are - well built, beautifully finished, and very popular cruisers. Yes, they are heavy and lack the latest-and-greatest tech (never the intent of these bikes anyway), but in almost every case the build quality is top-notch.

If I owned one, I would definitely get an 883 like Terry's. Lighter (relatively speaking), reliable, great looking, and easily the best value from HD (especially with a 1200 kit).

Triumph is really making some fantastic bikes too. You should be able to ride both and decide. There are no bad decisions here - it comes down to what moves you. You'll know what you want after a test ride.
IBR #443 (2011 Finisher)
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
PerfectZebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
You will notice from the Pic above, that the Iron has mid controls rather than foot forward controls you
imagine it to have.
I had a Sporty that came through with forward controls and I soon switched to mids. In my opinion they were still too far forward and I found myself riding with my feet on the passenger pegs when cruising on the highway.
PerfectZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #22
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 308
What saddlebags work well on the Iron 883? There are some great looking bags in the P&A catalog, but as soon as I find a set that would look good on an Iron, I read the fine print that they won't fit on the Iron or the Nightster. I think a set of leather in brown or black bags would really be killer on it.

'fooz
Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #23
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
First up, welcome to the zoo, Matt.

The Iron will do much , if not all of what you're looking for albeit in a manner
different from your previous experiences. New suspension front and rear will up its' handling performance and
comfort factor enormously.
The motor is ideal for back road / urban commuting but can get a little wheezie on the slab. The relatively upright riding
position is pretty good up to about 65 mph after which things get kind of drafty. The fuel tank means you'll be stopping
more frequently for fuel but given the ergos, that's not a bad thing.

The options exist to make it very much your own including punching it up to 1200 ( as i did with mine ) or 1250 CCs with no real effect on reliability. It's a pretty fine bike out of the box and for very little coin ( suspension ) can be improved dramatically. Or, you can join me and get totally excessive with it.

Oh man, that's a BEAUTIFUL bike you've got there! Any more pics anywhere that I can see?? Looking to buy my dad's '02 883 for a second bike, kind of a project bike, would love to see a few more pics.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
Terrytori
Namaste

This is what it looked like prior to changing out a whole whack of stuff.

I still run the bags on it. I think they are just fine and make for some easy overnights.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 308
Quote:

I still run the bags on it. I think they are just fine and make for some easy overnights.

I remember seeing this Iron in another thread and thinking how good it looked. Really nicely done, Terry! Did you run into any issues with mounting those bags? (So many of the bags in the P&A catalog say they aren't compatible with the Iron/Nightster.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
Terrytori
Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by harfooz View Post
I remember seeing this Iron in another thread and thinking how good it looked. Really nicely done, Terry! Did you run into any issues with mounting those bags? (So many of the bags in the P&A catalog say they aren't compatible with the Iron/Nightster.
No issues, man... Pop off and on in less than a minute.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Yeah 883s "can" go at highway paces for extended periods.....

.....so can a 250 ninja, and one is as good as the other at it.

Depends if those are what you try them. Of the bunch you listed I'd go for a Thruxton, in the same class though I'd likely get a Ducati GT1000 before any of them. If I'm going to ride an airhead (not likely) I'll take the Duc's overachieving DS please.

Triumph 270* twin is a HUGE improvement over the 1960s-1970s bikes, but it rather uninspiring. I can't stand the 883, and the 1200 is only really tolerable after a bit of work.

But I'm not really a fan of air-cooled anything, so its a moot point.
My XLH883 would run 85mph all day and return 40mpg.

I like riding the snot out of what I have. On the highway, my Connie's no fun below 110. Just feels like loafing.

I don't like loafing, it's boring.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
LostViking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Terry,

Thanks for the Bonnie picture, and the 883 Bagged up. H/D does a real nice job with their luggage. Easy on/off, secure, not much hardware left to detract from the bike's looks when off.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:

Now that is something that catches my eye... Great job!!! I like the accomodation for passenger (I thought the Iron had no mounts for pegs?)

Ive had an 01 bonnie and loved its look, nice fit and finish but the suspension bothered me. I should have fixed it but decided a DS bike was more in my interest... Wrong!
I am looking into these HD's very closely...
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #30
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I was not thrilled with my new Bonneville.
Nothing really wrong with it besides the usual crap seat and suspension and being over weight.
Maybe too smooth, too quiet (even with tor's), the old ones were more fun.

I had an 883 in 1986, stock, 4 speed transmission, chain drive, and it had no problem running high speed on the interstate and did lots of full throttle long runs at 100 mph.

Its easy to get a lot more power out of an 883, plus, you can change the gearing for more highway use.
All the new bikes have the low seat, high forward peg problem for tall (6 foot) riders, plus really bad short travel suspension. You can fix the suspension.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote