Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I'd reccomend the 883 Superlow. You get mid controls which are way more comfortable and a big 4 1/2 gallon tank. You don't need 1200 cc. 883 cost less to buy, gets better gas mileage, has plenty of power and has lower taxes here in Kansas. I've owned 16 Sportsters and my Superlow is my favorite. I fit a NOS Shoei fairing which cost $150 new with shipping and weather protection is very good.
oldhippie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
HannibalSmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I've ridden the Bonnie, and Harley. (Disclaimer: I ride a 95' Dyna Super Glide) They are slow, but reliable. Fun to ride and have plenty of power. Passenger also prefers it to the SV650.....
HannibalSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Triumph 270* twin is a HUGE improvement over the 1960s-1970s bikes.
Yeah, they no longer blow the fuck up when you when you look at them on Tuesday. I love Sporties, They are too great. Had a bunch. Wish I had one now.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #34
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,093
If I was sitting down and chosing between an 883 Iron, a Bonnie (of any variation) I'd also look at a used Nightster
the 1200 gives you a little more umph then the 883, and has the same style.

If I only did in city, short squirts around town. like less then an hour of riding at a stretch
Then there would be a nightster sitting in my garage. It's small it's light it's easy to ride, it feels like a big MINI bike.

The iron has misplaced some of that feeling.
And the rest of the sporty line up leaves me feeling cold.

Both of the Harley's have more engine character in one piston then every modern Bonnie made... Combined.

But the plain jane Bonnie is the worst, it's just a lifeless boring power plant. Which is great if you're looking for a such a beast. It's a great new dad bike. easy to ride, mellow and fun with a little bit of style tossed into the mix.

The Thruxton is a better, slightly lighter weight, better engine, but the seating position and style of the bike are writing checks the engine has no way of cashing.

The Scrambler... Great engine character, except for one thing. It's dog slow. A YUGO would be faster off the line.

If it was me, I'd get a base model crashed Sporty and make a caferacer out of it. (Using some Storz and some custom bits)
Cooler then the Bonnie's street cred from both the Pirates and the Hipsters, what more could you ask for...

Well performance, durability, quality, comfort and resale value. But who's keep track.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
shirojiro
bassist

Oddometer: 81
I just went through the same decision between the same bikes. got distracted a little by the Scrambler and Thruxton for a bit, but ended up deciding between a Bonneville and an 883 Iron.

I ended up with the Iron, and what people say about it is true: it's heavy, slow, and has virtually no rear suspension. But that said, I really enjoy riding it to work and for non-spirited riding.

Both bikes look great to me. It really boiled down to which one floated my boat more and which one makes me smile more. I think in general, motorcycle purchases are a visceral thing. I sold a really nicely farkled DR650 after spending a few years trying to bond with it. I never loved that bike and after a while it just wasn't worth it to me to keep it.

Many people on this website like bikes that are more functional. I get that too. I'm keeping my CB-1 for fwisties and my dirt bike for dirt. I still might end up with a DL650 Vstrom someday for longer trips. The Iron is a nice bike though. It is what it is: a primitive visceral bike that looks pretty cool IMHO.

FWIW, the Iron is my first non Japanese bike in almost 30yrs of riding. Holy crap I'm getting old.

Anyhow, neither bike is a bike one purchases because of the spec sheets. Id try them both out, and it will become clear.

shirojiro screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 08:31 AM Reason: spelling
shirojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #36
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
When we got married I bought my wife an 883 as a wedding present. But I drove it most of the time and it was a real pleasant machine. Tooling around town was so easy as it is very narrow and was made for splitting traffic (California of course). It's a bike, bike. If you know what I mean.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Choices

Sounds like a shift of focus when you went to considering a Trumpet America. That moves you toward the Dyna category for HD and it will fix a bunch of the Sportster issues that are being discussed. It adds a $ and weight factor, but it is smoove.

I was a Nightster drooler and then a back street look at the Iron wheels won it a lot of votes. I got the idea it was a solo bike for you and then the Scrambler issues sounded like it was a "joint decision" (I HATE those). I want to die for a Scrambler (two tone paint ) but I can't imagine it as a regular two-upper for you.

I bought Dyna and have been converting it to a fat guy's Nightster... including the fork boots (Jammers), thin line Cobra seat, lower bars, shaved chrome trim, SuperTrapp sleepers, retro air intake, shocks next. I bought their Wide Glide boots (1" longer) for my Super Glide so I could get that "slight droopy rubber boot" look. A shot of silicone to stop any sticking and now it is "Big Droople In Little Dyna".

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 03:28 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #38
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
This is what it looked like prior to changing out a whole whack of stuff.

I still run the bags on it. I think they are just fine and make for some easy overnights.

would those bags fits a 2005 sporty roadster? how much roughly was the bag set up. that would be very useful
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #39
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
When we got married I bought my wife an 883 as a wedding present. But I drove it most of the time and it was a real pleasant machine. Tooling around town was so easy as it is very narrow and was made for splitting traffic (California of course). It's a bike, bike. If you know what I mean.
you mean,

its, A REAL MOTORCYCLE.

Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #40
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post
Sounds like a shift of focus when you went to considering a Trumpet America. That moves you toward the Dyna category for HD and it will fix a bunch of the Sportster issues that are being discussed. It adds a $ and weight factor, but it is smoove.

I was a Nightster drooler and then a back street look at the Iron wheels won it a lot of votes. I got the idea it was a solo bike for you and then the Scrambler issues sounded like it was a "joint decision" (I HATE those). I want to die for a Scrambler (two tone paint) and I can't imagine it as a regular two-upper.

I bought Dyna and have been converting it to a fat guy's Nightster... including the forks boots (Jammers). I bought their Wide Glide boots (1" longer) for my Super Glide so I could get that "droopy boot" look. A shot of silicone to stop any sticking and it is "Big Droople In Little Dyna".

This was my solution too. I was shopping for a Sporty but came across a Dyna at a price that was too good to pass up with only 841 miles on it. I upgraded the suspension, put a Mustang saddle on it and added a sport windshield that was blacked out. I too call it my fat guy's Nightster.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #41
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
would those bags fits a 2005 sporty roadster? how much roughly was the bag set up. that would be very useful
Sarge... unfortunately, not cheap. $960 Can. Check out the video to see how easy they go on and off.

Here's the scoop: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
I'd get the Scrambler just because it looks kool, but actually the Thruxton has all the good stuff (more power, better suspension)
Just FYI the power difference between these bikes is negligible. The Scrambler has the 270 degree engine which is supposed to be a little more torquey, but the difference is nominal. The riding position, however, could not be more different. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Thrux stock suspension is the same as the Scrambler. And neither one is generally considered very good.

Also I'm a Triumph guy but I love the look of Terry's Iron posted earlier ITT. Very nicely done!
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #43
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
But the plain jane Bonnie is the worst, it's just a lifeless boring power plant. Which is great if you're looking for a such a beast. It's a great new dad bike. easy to ride, mellow and fun with a little bit of style tossed into the mix.
It is very easy to ride and mellow... I would describe it as user-friendly. As for boring? I suppose if you expect modern sportbike performance, sure. However, with pipe/airbox/jetting/re-map mods, you can increase the power and torque ~20% for under $1k, and you also get a GREAT sounding bike.

Quote:
The Thruxton is a better, slightly lighter weight, better engine, but the seating position and style of the bike are writing checks the engine has no way of cashing.
Again the Thruxton has the same engine as the Bonneville. I believe the header pipes may be slightly different, but it is pretty much indistinguishable from the regular Bonneville engine-wise. Disagree with your second point. The seating position and style of the bike are "writing checks" that recall the late '60s and early '70s. And while a modern Thruxton may not keep up with a modern sport bike, its acceleration, braking, handling and reliability will thrash any bike that was actually built during that era!

Quote:
The Scrambler... Great engine character, except for one thing. It's dog slow. A YUGO would be faster off the line.
Again, same engine. Different crank (270-degree) though, so I suppose it may feel slightly different. And slow is relative. I'm pretty sure a scrambler will run 0-60 in under 6 seconds. So if by "slow" you mean "still faster than 99% of cars," I agree.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #44
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Sporty Oil Cover

Gotta' keep pullin' for that used Scrambler (blue and white) with modified exhaust, futzed around with tires, better (a little longer) suspension and your retro good looks, Matt77.

Is anybody making a metal replacement for the Sporty plastic pop-up oil tank filler?

"Matt77 shooting the inverted V and 'commuting 3-4 times a week, weekend rides and maybe the odd bit of travel' as bad as he wants to be"... hat and chinos not included.

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 03:53 PM Reason: to grab the McQueen photo
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #45
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

More Fuel To The Fire

Does this mean anything to you?

If so, you too want to be dudes on Harleys like ol' Zipp and the 666 Bandit.

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 05:08 AM Reason: smaller photo