Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #46
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
you mean,

its, A REAL MOTORCYCLE.

No... I mean good, basic no bullshit bike transport.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #47
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Then Came Bronson ftw.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Ive had 2 883's. I have the 09 iron and im gonna keep that bike a long time. I get more compliments on that bike than my friends do on their more expensive baggers. Even here in Milwaukee some folks don't know what the Iron 883 is, they ask about how I blacked out the motor (powdercoated) its stock . Where did I get it, blah blah blah. Anyway I put Road King air shocks on the rear and that really helped out the suspension. It's very doable as a 2 up machine altho I and my girl are small. A-holes still call it a chick bike but f them, the Iron is a very special bike IMO. My brother had an old Bonneville 750 which he rode for many many years, I heard the newer Tigers are kinda nice too. Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #49
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I have had two sporties and loved them. Also look into a Dyna the local dealer here had the Street Bob new for 9999.00
Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #50
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt77 View Post
My previous bikes have been a BMW F650 GS and the Ducati Multistrada.

Cheers
Then you know the sh!t-eating grin that only a v-twin engine will put on your dial.
You won't get that with the Triumph. The recent Bonnie I rode was nice, but bland. And who the flock wants a "nice" motorcycle?
But, if you are planning on taking the Minister of War and Finance on the back as a regular thing, the Sporty is probably a bit more cramped on the back than the Bonnie. But, does she put that sh!t-eating grin on your dial?

i am obviously biased (riding a Sportster and refusing to grow up since 1977) but I would take the Iron over a Trumpy in a heatbeat.
And all the aftermarket accesories are there, and cheaper than Triumph stuff, to make it handle and perform and look however you want to set it up.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #51
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
No... I mean good, basic no bullshit bike transport.

hehe,

you know what im sayin,' dead reliable, simple, and will do about anything you need it to do. plus it has some soul.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #52
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHADV View Post
I have had two sporties and loved them. Also look into a Dyna the local dealer here had the Street Bob new for 9999.00
Wow!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #53
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfooz View Post
I too like the Iron 883 and would like its looks and fuel efficiency. I would have buyer's remorse immediately after riding it and experiencing its roughly 1" rear suspension travel .

That new '12 blue color is one of the nicest looking paint colors I've seen -- especially combined with the new retro-looking tank decal. The mag wheels are a lot more practical than the Nightster's spokes both for flats and for getting a tire inflated.

So go get one of the blue Irons and throw on a pair of shocks with slightly longer travel and ride the hang out of it.

'fooz

I too like the look of these bikes but I note the mention of Tubeless tyres.
The two 883's I have seen in the flesh (one a new one in the shop) both had TUBED tyres, back and front.

Is there a problem with the tyre choice the factory fit. Cannot these bikes run tubeless ?
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #54
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
The two 883's I have seen in the flesh (one a new one in the shop) both had TUBED tyres, back and front.

Is there a problem with the tyre choice the factory fit. Cannot these bikes run tubeless ?

i think it boils down to the spoked wheels are tubed, the alloy wheels are tubeless.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #55
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:

The tires are rated to run tubeless, the spoked wheel is not. If you get a cast wheel then it will have the same tire without a tube.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
MakerChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Wink

I just traded my 2011 883 Iron in on a 2011 V-Strom. I mostly commute to work, <20 miles/day, and run around on the weekend. This is MY opinion after 1800 miles on the Iron

It was uncomfortable and one feels every bump in the road. Everything I wanted to do require modding the bike somehow. It needed a windscreen, the motor bored out, bags, 2 or 3 more gas tanks, a new seat and perhaps some sort of shock absorber.

On the other hand it looked AWESOME! Little kids would stop and gawk. Women would walk up to me and men were jealous. Even puppies loved it.

My V-Strom has a 6 gallon tank, gets 50 mpg, the bags and cases don't make me look like an extra in a hop-a-long cassidy movie and it came with a windscreen. It doesn't sound like it's going to fly apart when I go above 60. It does, however, look and sounds weird. And it's from Japan.

Bottom line, as others have said, you gotta ride them and then you will know. I was all set to get a Versys until I rode it and hated it. I will never buy another HD. Bikes are personal.

Good luck and ride safe
MakerChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #57
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeifer View Post
It was uncomfortable and one feels every bump in the road. It needed... perhaps some sort of shock absorber.

Riding one, you'd think the modification required was to remove the rigid strut and put ANY rear shocks on it. The stock shocks are 11" eye to eye. But you could get Burley slammers to reduce the length to 10.5", just in case you have a grudge against yourself.

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 08:55 AM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #58
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 Bandit View Post
The tires are rated to run tubeless, the spoked wheel is not. If you get a cast wheel then it will have the same tire without a tube.

I should have been more specific.
Both the 883's I saw had CAST wheels . . . . and tubes. (and again ,one of these was a new bike on the shop floor.)
What gives ?

I assumed that since they had cast wheels they'd be tubeless.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #59
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
I should have been more specific.
Both the 883's I saw had CAST wheels . . . . and tubes. (and again ,one of these was a new bike on the shop floor.)
What gives ?

I assumed that since they had cast wheels they'd be tubeless.
Dunno. I don't think I've ever seen a Sportster with cast wheels & tubes here in the US. My 2001 never ran a tube.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #60
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I too have been trying to make his decision. After having ridden only the Bonnie so far, I can say that with the super bars, it fits me perfectly. As soon as I threw my leg over it, it just felt right. Someone really said it best in an earlier post. You don't buy either of these bikes based on the spec sheet. It's far more visceral and personal than that. I look forward to riding an Iron one day to compare. The last thing to point out is the fact that Bonnie guys seem to have no qualms getting on the bike and running a few hundred miles at a time. Every Sporty guy I have ever talked to always pointed out how uncomfortable the bike was. I need to be able to go further than the bar on Pirate night. We shall see....
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote