FXRS-SP is close.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...tster1200.html
Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #77
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post
It is interesting that we talk about riding the bike and contrast it with how the bike looks. One assessment requires us to do what we should love... ride. The other is done when we aren't doing what we should love... standing on two feet looking at the bike. We make up 50% of the image that is visually presented when we ride the bike, but we asses the image of the bike without a rider. So, as an exercise I dug up...

Summer... Donna.
Kind of reminded me of Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heros! You go Oddball!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #78
skysailor
Rat Rider

Why don't they make an Iron 1200?
Lyle
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #79
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
I believe in 1972 they made a 1000cc iron head.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #80
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Lyle

Because they want to let you have some of the fun.

Never had an 883 I didn't take to 1200.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #81
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Because they want to let you have some of the fun.

Never had an 883 I didn't take to 1200.
I hear you, but they're 1200's all suck since the R! I don't like the Custom, at all. Looks like it has two rear tyres! I do kind of like the 72, though. Too bad you can't just order a factory 1200 in the Iron. They even dropped the "Low" in 1200. At least it had a decent gas tank, and you could replace the rear suspension. They need a "standard" in 1200.
Lyle
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #82
DustyRoads
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I rode a Harley Sportster once. Many years ago. Down the interstate at 65 MPH. What I remember was that it vibrated like hell. I would prefer to rent a Harley. Currently I'm looking at the Triumph Scrambler but have not ridden one. Good luck.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #83
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
I hear you, but they're 1200's all suck since the R! I don't like the Custom, at all. Looks like it has two rear tyres! I do kind of like the 72, though. Too bad you can't just order a factory 1200 in the Iron. They even dropped the "Low" in 1200. At least it had a decent gas tank, and you could replace the rear suspension. They need a "standard" in 1200.
Lyle
They had them, for a short time.. The XR1200. I am going to wait another 2-3 years for the prices to hit the bottom(they will appreciate again) and buy one. That is, if I dont end up with a cheap 883 Iron with some minor tweaks....or maybe an 883R?.... Orange of course.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #84
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I rode a Harley Sportster once. Many years ago. Down the interstate at 65 MPH. What I remember was that it vibrated like hell. I would prefer to rent a Harley. Currently I'm looking at the Triumph Scrambler but have not ridden one. Good luck.
I rode down the 101 the other day for quite a long way averaging speeds of 75. The 48 doesn't vibrate at all really above 5 mph, and doesn't like to cruise in 5th gear at less than 70.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #85
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Lyle
They do (or did) it is called a Nightster XL1200N. Dropped for the 2013 model year.

The Iron XL883N is a cast wheeled 883 version of it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #86
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Every time I see a "48", oh man, it just looks so good, one of the best looking bikes available today...............

Then reality sinks in,

I'm one of the few folks who found the performance of the 883 more than adequate for my modest needs and desires which nullifies the bulk of the typical "harley tax". But at close to $12 k out the door, then by the time the suspension, seat, bars, foot controls, and range issues are addressed, your looking at $14k +.

Then I start considering what else I could get for that or significantly less money. Of course there would be significant savings starting with a used one, but then that gets back to the issue of what you could get for the same money............frustrating.

Maybe someday the moco will realize the Sportster could be a benchmark rather than a footnote for serious riders.

PPS. +1
I think that you and I may have a lot in common with regards to what we need a bike to do in order to "enjoy the ride". I don't need a bunch of power, the best handling/brakes or the latest and greatest gadget in order to enjoy my riding experience. I do expect decent brakes (you know, the kind that stop you rather than slow you down) and I do want the bike to handle to the best of it's inherent ability while being comfortable and practical. I also want a bike that simply makes me smile when I look at it and ride it.

I picked a bike that fit most the aforementioned purposes and fixed the things that didn't work for me. That bike wound up being a Sportster after having test ridden quite a few other bikes that either simply didn't make me happy or had a list of mods that would have pushed the price beyond my budget. Had it not been for the good deal I got on my bike combined with the terrible sales experience at my local Triumph dealership I would probably be riding a Bonnie right now. Of course had the new CB1100 been available I am sure that a new CB would be under my ass rather than the Sportster or Bonnie. Why? Because the damn MOCO has decided that the USA doesn't need a new XL1200R. If HD still gave us the Sportster "R" I wouldn't have even shopped around. I have my doubts that they (or the typical HD customer) will ever see the light. It's a shame really.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #87
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Because the damn MOCO has decided that the USA doesn't need a new XL1200R. If HD still gave us the Sportster "R" I wouldn't have even shopped around. I have my doubts that they (or the typical HD customer) will ever see the light. It's a shame really.
They are probably correct,
For their "typical" customer, looks are the first consideration. Things might be different if the XL1200R looked like a "48" or a scaled down Roadking. Just add real world function to their trademark form, it never works when they try to be what their not.

IMO, it wont change as long as the moco uses and considers the Sportster as nothing more than a starter bike to be traded in for a big twin
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #88
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
They are probably correct,
For their "typical" customer, looks are the first consideration. Things might be different if the XL1200R looked like a "48" or a scaled down Roadking. Just add real world function to their trademark form, it never works when they try to be what their not.

IMO, it wont change as long as the moco uses and considers the Sportster as nothing more than a starter bike to be traded in for a big twin
Hmmm.. ..A mini Switchback?........A Sport-Back? They could build it with existing parts. Perhaps the success of the Switchback will result in more affordable models that are focused on practicality while retaining a nice profile.

It's a shame that Sporties are viewed as you describe. They started out as HD's more performance oriented bike. that common perception does make it a bit more fun when you crap on a big twin though.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #89
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
It's a shame that Sporties are viewed as you describe. They started out as HD's more performance oriented bike. that common perception does make it a bit more fun when you crap on a big twin though.

I saw an iron head Sporty chopper yesterday...at the drag strip, he actually made it to round two because the guy he went up against couldn't hit his shifts. Sportster...little cute burnout, stages, wheelies to the 60 ft mark, second, gets around the full on lay down drag bike, into third, WIN LIGHT!!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #90
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelmike View Post
Inline4: The guy did a pretty good job evaluating the Sporties. He wasn't quite correct in regards to belt replacement, he was correct in that you don't have to remove the primary to replace the belt, HOWEVER.......being a continuous belt, it IS necessary to remove the swing arm. This having been said, the labor involved is still far less than on a big twin.
No. The last time I changed a belt on a sportster I just removed the belt guards, the sprocket cover and the lower shock stud. Run the tension adjusters in and the belt comes right off...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote