Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #91
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Let's throw a curve ball....how about the Guzzi V7 line? You could get quite a bit of both worlds.
Check out the latest Motorcyclist Magazine and you'll find a comparo of the Iron, Stone and Bonnie.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #92
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
They had them, for a short time.. The XR1200. I am going to wait another 2-3 years for the prices to hit the bottom(they will appreciate again) and buy one. That is, if I dont end up with a cheap 883 Iron with some minor tweaks....or maybe an 883R?.... Orange of course.
What would you consider to be a bottom price for a low mileage XR1200X? I'm thinking I might want one but am seeing pricing hovering around 10K. What would you consider to be "cheap" for an 883 Iron?

Basically these are the only 2 HD's that appeal to me and I may be ready for another bike, particularly if the price is right.

Thx... nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #93
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Ive seen them as low as 7500 already. Im hoping they drop to around 5k-6k. I can convince the wife(and myself) if that happens probably.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #94
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Ive seen them as low as 7500 already. Im hoping they drop to around 5k-6k. I can convince the wife(and myself) if that happens probably.
i hope they go that low, so I can afford one, how every I don't think HD wants to have something that cheap, they did once but I think it was like 2005.

Damasovi
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #95
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,509
same same

I was in the exact same frame of mind. Really liked the looks of the 883 iron & the Bonnie. Had a chance to ride them both at a recent demo day and like others have suggested I would try to do the same. LINK

The Iron & Bonnie look pretty similar but are very different. FWIW I'm saving up to buy the Bonnie.

Good luck,
Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #96
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
i hope they go that low, so I can afford one, how every I don't think HD wants to have something that cheap, they did once but I think it was like 2005.

Damasovi
I should clarify. I am referring to used units.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #97
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Hmmm.. ..A mini Switchback?........A Sport-Back? They could build it with existing parts. Perhaps the success of the Switchback will result in more affordable models that are focused on practicality while retaining a nice profile.
Thats a fantastic idea, but...............

.............The mentality that a Sportster is a "starter/girls bike" is so entrenched that it would be a major uphill battle to get the herd to accept a full feature Sportster on it's own merits..
Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #98
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

.............The mentality that a Sportster is a "starter/girls bike" is so entrenched that it would be a major uphill battle to get the herd to accept a full feature Sportster on it's own merits..
Yup. The dealer laughed at me, as did forum members for even suggesting it. So:
I bought a C50T instead of spending $$$ on parts for an 883 or 1200 Sporty Lower than too low, as a blank canvas.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #99
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:

Why would they need to get the herd to accept a full feature Sportster. The herd already buys enough of the Sportster line as it is and the herd are not the type to be intertested in a full feature bike.

Whether marketed as a starter/girls bike or not, the majority of Sportster riders move on to a bigger HD at some point. Most never go back to a Sportster but some of us do.

If HD was to build a full feature Sporty they need to market it towards riders that would not normally consider an HD, much like the recent XR which was such a poor seller they pulled it from the lineup.

It's a great idea on paper and the ADV guys would be oohing and aahing but they still wouldn't buy it in spite of the fact they lament that HD doesn't build the style of bike they desire.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #100
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
I was in the exact same frame of mind. Really liked the looks of the 883 iron & the Bonnie. Had a chance to ride them both at a recent demo day and like others have suggested I would try to do the same. LINK

The Iron & Bonnie look pretty similar but are very different. FWIW I'm saving up to buy the Bonnie.

Good luck,
Canoli
Great write up, well worth the read!

Z
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #101
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Why would they need to get the herd to accept a full feature Sportster. The herd already buys enough of the Sportster line as it is and the herd are not the type to be intertested in a full feature bike.

Whether marketed as a starter/girls bike or not, the majority of Sportster riders move on to a bigger HD at some point. Most never go back to a Sportster but some of us do.

If HD was to build a full feature Sporty they need to market it towards riders that would not normally consider an HD, much like the recent XR which was such a poor seller they pulled it from the lineup.

It's a great idea on paper and the ADV guys would be oohing and aahing but they still wouldn't buy it in spite of the fact they lament that HD doesn't build the style of bike they desire.
I ditched my GS Pig and got a sportster. I can't stay off the thing.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #102
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Your obviously not grasping what I'm saying or I'm not being clear enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

My first streetbike was an 883, and par the course my second was a FLT.

There are lots of folks like me who have had Harleys and would go back.

The idea of a Sportster based Switchback is very interesting, and I would love to have a "48" for what it is if it had standard ergonomics, uncompromised suspension, a reasonable sized fuel tank, and a decent seat.
Not a Buell, not a XR, not a Milwaukee built UJM, but a Sportster as a Sportster, without the compromises in function.

The Switchback is a success because it's a true to form big twin with real world function, why not a true to form Sportster with real world function? Is wanting a "48" that could match the minimal real world functionality of a Triumph Bonniville or a Moto Guzzi V7 so unreasonable?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #103
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Is wanting a "48" that could match the minimal real world functionality of a Triumph Bonniville or a Moto Guzzi V7 so unreasonable?
No.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #104
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Your obviously not grasping what I'm saying or I'm not being clear enough.

My first streetbike was an 883, and par the course my second was a FLT.

There are lots of folks like me who have had Harleys and would go back.

The idea of a Sportster based Switchback is very interesting, and I would love to have a "48" for what it is if it had standard ergonomics, uncompromised suspension, a reasonable sized fuel tank, and a decent seat.
Not a Buell, not a XR, not a Milwaukee built UJM, but a Sportster as a Sportster, without the compromises in function.

Is wanting a "48" that could match the minimal real world functionality of a Triumph Bonniville or a Moto Guzzi V7 so unreasonable?
I hear what your saying. My first streetbike as an adult was a '00 XL1200S, then a softail, then 2 baggers with a couple non HDs thrown in the mix. I'm now back on a Sporty, XR1200, along with a real DS and a bagger.

But the if the 48 had all you are asking it would not be a 48...what makes it the 48 is the slammed suspension, tiny tank, and solo seat.

What you describe and what compares to the Bonni or Guzzi is more like the XL1200S or the XL Roadster, neither of which were great sellers for HD.

As you implied, the herd won't buy bikes like that and my point was if HD is to try it again they need to market to those outside the herd, like you and I and others on this forum, and if they do, we need to step up to the plate and buy those bikes new.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #105
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Moo!
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote