ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Advice For Newbie Adventure Around Waynesville-BRP

I visited this area last year briefly on my VFR and camped at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. I want to go back this year and am hoping there are enough forest roads/trails/dirt-gravel roads to justify taking my new KTM 625 SXC. It would be a long ride on that from Cincinnati, but doable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rides or trails that they'd recommend? Keep in mind I swapped the knobbies for Pirelli Scorpion d/s tires, and am a relative newbie to offroad stuff. But I wanna gert that bike DIRTY!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,187
Waynesville - Dirt roads

There are tons dirt roads in the area. From Waynesville, South on 276, up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway - look for dirt roads to the left and right. First one on the left (I think the name is Yellow Creek Rd.) goes all the way to Asheville (comes out on 191 near the Parkway). Second one of the left is ~8 miles and comes back out on 276 near the stables. First one on the right is a spur off of Government Rd and goes by Looking Glass Mountain. The directions are from memory. You need maps. MS Street & Trips shows these roads but they aren't named/numbered right. The Delorme Gazetter for NC is the best map to have for exploring in this area. If you have a GPs i could send you some waypoints to help you find yopu way. I prefer to ride over around the Cherohala Skyway. There's more dirt roads, the roads are more fun, and there is not as many hikers, bicycles, campers. fisher people. What is your schedule? I plan to ride in the area several times this spring/fall. BTW, the D/S tires will be fine. These roads are rock based and I have always found them in good shape reguardless of the weather.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

maps and suggestions

Ron, the owner of the "tailofthedragon" website, has done a lot of dirt road riding around Robbinsville, NC and has posted info on his website at:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/other_dual.html

Also, if you go by one of the many places that carries "tailofthedragon" merchandise (Iron Horse Campground, Tapaco Lodge, Wheeler's 129 Performance, etc.), you can buy one of his maps that shows 100+ miles of dirt roads in the area.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 04-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the info! I'll mostlikely be traveling down there on Sunday, 6/26, riding Monday and Tuesday, and heading back on Wednesday. I called the BRMC Campground, and the owner says he knows of a lot of places to ride, so, coupled with your info, I should be able to find some interesting trails.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 04-15-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Andy's deffinately right with the road suggestions, there are FS roads everywhere around here. Some of the best in the Pisgah region, right off of 276. Also some good ones west of brevard, one accesss from the south is off of highway 64, I believe its called "Cathy's Creek rd" there's also access from highway 215 (i can't seem to remember the name!), you can basicly follow dirt from there to asheville if you want.

BUT-

I would add, that I believe there are still a few closed from the barrage of storms we recieved last september, specificly, #1201 iirc, which led from 276 to 191. There's still tons of riding, but my advice would bo to contact the Forest Service and get advice on the most recent closings/openings. They also have the best maps, in my opinion.

Something to keep an eye on, there are TONS and TONS of gated FS roads, that you're not supposed to go down. Bikes *can* be squezzed around alot of the gates..... to do so takes on some degree of risk of getting caught, and I have no idea of penalties or fines, but I can't stand someone telling me i can't go somewhere, it only makes me want to more! So, um, keep those in mind. (and make sure your map SHOWS whether the road is gated or not.)

You'll love it over here, it's d/s heaven!! Make sure you take lots and lots of pics....Feel free to ask any questions about the area, I'll do my best to help out. I've lived here a few years and am fairly familier with the 'good stuff.'
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Gventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Hey guys - I'm heading up on Thursady the 28th from Raleigh - will either stop in Boone or go to Blueridge Campground depending on what time I get away from the office. For Friday and Sat. I had planned to ride the fireroads off 276 (Brevard side) and then find some I heard about over north of Roseman, and anything else I stumble into. Anyone want to link up and ride? I'll be on a KLR.
Gventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Have friends in the area.....

.....they are street bike riders, but they tell me about the forest roads, which are mostly unknown to them. They took their van down one in the Pisgah NF
last year and said it was "scarey". In the van, yes. On a properly set up bike,
YES!!!!! What a ride!
Riding from Cincinnati to that part of NC on a 625SXC is wicked hard core, but doable. Do your butt a favor though, and find a better seat than the
stocker. If you're not used to doing BIG miles on a daily basis, you'll be crying
out loud before you get to TN.

RF/TC

deerslayR

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey

deerslayR screwed with this post 04-18-2005 at 01:05 PM
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:23 AM   #8
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boy, it didn't take me long to figure out the stock seat was literally a pain in the a**. Got the comfort seat now along with the 18L tank, and some moderate length rides so far have been fairly comfortable.

I'm jazzed to hear there are some good trails right off 276, since my time down there will be limited. Thanks again, all, for the suggestions. As the time gets closer, I'm sure I'll have some more questions...

Regards,
Tom
Old 04-19-2005, 03:48 AM   #9
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Map for Cathey's Creek etc.

I have ridden these roads and it was fun. Watch out for hikers, bikers, and campers.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 04-19-2005 at 03:48 AM Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll be arriving at the BRMC campground on Saturday afternoon (6/25), staying until Monday morning. If there's anyone who wants to do some riding with a newbie, the company would sure be welcome.

You can find me at the campground by looking for the D/S'ed KTM 625 SXC w/ Ohio tags.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. I'm wimping out and trailering the bike...
Old 06-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
I'll be arriving at the BRMC campground on Saturday afternoon (6/25), staying until Monday morning. If there's anyone who wants to do some riding with a newbie, the company would sure be welcome.

You can find me at the campground by looking for the D/S'ed KTM 625 SXC w/ Ohio tags.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. I'm wimping out and trailering the bike...
Enjoy your stay. I'll be working the entire weekend unfortunately! I hope the weather cooperates with ya, it's been on and off rain, and quite humid.

There'll be lots of great riding through the area, looks like you already got plenty of advice on all that. Shame you won't be here longer to enjoy it all!

Safe trip and ride,
Chris

ps-hollar if ya need anything while you're in the neighborhood!
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
jambie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

TRIP CANCELED!

What a bummer...

As I was finishing up preparations for getting under way, the central a/c unit for the house experienced what we aviators call an "uncontained failure".

Fairly spectacular, and undoubtedly expensive, so I'll have to postpone this trip for awhile.

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice and info.
Cheers,
Tom