Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Ive had 2 stroms,1000 and 650,both were hidden under covers around the side of the house so as to not offend the neighbors with their looks. Neither had any sort of personality what so ever,if all you want is a bike that runs,get a strom.
The 650 in particular has the cheapest suspension available short of buying a Linghiaow China bike.
It bounced and banged to beat the band on hiway rides,absolutely sucked on a gravel road bouncing and clanging all over the place.
Yet most people love em and say they work fine. Id buy the Tiger,way more fun having the 3 cylinder grunt and maybe better suspension. WEE's are great for beginner bikes,if I had never ridden a bike that worked well I wouldnt have noticed what a cheap ill handling bike the strom is.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I own an SV650S and a DL650A. Rode a Tiger last fall and was really unimpressed but they are more unusual and better looking.

So, as usual "Ya gatta ride 'em."
For me, the 955 does look a bit weird... call me a pervert, but I prefer the Wee´s looks (I know she ain´t pretty either !!) Now the older 885 Tiger, that was a bike that looked like it could make a few RTW-tours for breakfast!

I had an SV650, too, and now on my 3rd DL650. I´d say it is surprisingly good for its engine size, and value for money is tough to beat. Just like the SV was, but DL is much more of a tourer. But it just doesn´t appeal to everyone.

Of course a 955cc bike will have more power, if that is what you want... the comparo should really be between DL1000 and 955, I think – but there aren´t many mid-size bikes, that people even consider instead of a 1000, so that tells you something about its abilities. The Wee is one of the best 650 bikes for 2-up as well. Not saying the Tiger couldn´t be even better.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Now the older 885 Tiger, that was a bike that looked like it could make a few RTW-tours for breakfast!
You mean like this one? I did 2500 miles in 4 days last summer on it and it was all-day comfy. My friends riding Harleys could barely walk by the end of it. I had the chance to ride a Wee and for me there was no comparison, the Tiger just makes me smile everytime I ride it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive had 2 stroms,1000 and 650,both were hidden under covers around the side of the house so as to not offend the neighbors with their looks. Neither had any sort of personality what so ever,if all you want is a bike that runs,get a strom.
The 650 in particular has the cheapest suspension available short of buying a Linghiaow China bike.
It bounced and banged to beat the band on hiway rides,absolutely sucked on a gravel road bouncing and clanging all over the place.
Yet most people love em and say they work fine. Id buy the Tiger,way more fun having the 3 cylinder grunt and maybe better suspension. WEE's are great for beginner bikes,if I had never ridden a bike that worked well I wouldnt have noticed what a cheap ill handling bike the strom is.

No argument, but after $$ spent on a 955 and a DL 650 for suspension mods the DL 650 had the better handling.

The 955 is a nice bike but it needs more care in maintenance.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
I have owned 26 bikes in 30 years of riding. When I bought my 05 Tiger I found the bike I will be keeping a LOOOOOONG time. ANd the ONLY bike I currently own. Reliability has not been an issue at all. Comfort, excellent, 1 or 2 up great around town or highway. the 955i engine is full of grunt, decent top end for the style of bike handles very good at speed for its size, it is versatile--seen them on the street track, off road gettin air and ridden around the world. Can pick up groceries with it, and even carry eggs home without breaking them (do it all the time) and look good doing it
And the minute you hear that triple engine growl, you will certainly smile over the soft put put of the wee strom. Plus, everytime you stop you get questions, compliments and often wonderful history stories like "my Uncle owned a 68 Triumph---fine bike, etc. etc.blah blah) My TIger even does EVERYTHING a 1200 GS can do, with more horse power, and try and find a GS for the same price you get a decent used Tiger....and don't even get me started on that "shaft" drive versus chain argument.......I can carry a spare chain and change it in the middle of nowhere.....do that with the shaft drive......
Here are a couple comparo articles to let you see side by side.
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/triumph_tiger_2005.php
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz...m_650_2005.php

For the $$$$ I would always take a 955 over a 650.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I have very unstable relationship with my 07 Wee. On the one hand, this is the wrong design altogether, everything is wrong in this bike, on another hand, its most comfortable, reliable, maintenance free bike as I have owned, ever. And the last part is very much shared by the majority of Wee owners. Try to search for Wee’s average mileage, people reporting trouble free100K are quite common… They do not maintain or love them, they simply ride them.

The only thing Triumph is ahead with is its character. But for me character means problems. Just small ones, like loose wires, leaking gaskets or rusted up calipers, something minor, nothing to speak about, really, but every day.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Take you pick of pretty much any big traillie bike on this board and you will find people for & against it. Most people who own Triumph Triples do so because of the engines, it is a sound that just gets into your soul. I always read posts about so-called poor reliability with Triumphs, but I have yet to see much in the way of actual proof. Some early 885 models had issues with the sprag clutch if the battery was weak, but that is likely the worst of it and that was addressed years ago. My 885 has roughly 25,000km on it and has needed nothing other than routine maintenance. From what I read/see, the 955i Tigers are about as bulletproof as they come. The good thing about the 955i models is there is pretty good aftermarket support if you want to dress them up a bit too. I love my 885 but that is one drawback, not much in the way of farkles unless you want to go across the pond to find stuff.

IMO, the V-Stroms are like Swiss Army knives. Solid, reliable, practical, good at lots of things but doesn't really excel at anything. Neither bike is likely to disappoint you but they will certainly make you smile for different reasons. Until you have the opportunity to try both out in the flesh, it will be tough to choose.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
keystiger
rat on a roll

well......

I can report zero leaks in gaskets, no issues with rusted, uhm... anything or any problems at all in 6 years.
Only standard maint. type stuff, brake pads, tires, oil etc. etc. which you replace on any bike.

And (if it matters to you) the other thing aside from character that differs is horsepower. I see figures online in the 65-70 hp range for MR. Wee. Around 100-125 for the Tiger.....IF that sort of thing means anything to you.

BUt I can tell you it means a grand slide load to me when I am cracking the throttle to get out of the way of giant SUV driving soccer mom more interested in texting than
driving on the roadway........just saying.

No offense intended amk a riding buddy of mine owns and dearly LOVES his wee strom, puts thousands of miles a month on it. ANd it is a fine bike for him, and maybe for many. Just pointing out price being the same you get more Tiger for your $
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
Yenool OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for all the responses fellas. Some good info. There always seems to be a wee near by, so I'll hold out for a month or two to hopefully be able to find a Tiger to test ride. The closest one I can find right now is just under 300 miles away. Until then my adventures will be limited to the asphalt with my SV.
Yenool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
keystiger
rat on a roll

Well, if you like the SV, I have seen some blokes on this site turning SV's into offroad (very capable off road) bikes......just a thought.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #26
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,653
not odd

I find this a very rational choice and have stewed upon it MANY times.
so far I've stuck with the devil i know...

I find the Tigger a unique entry and Triumph should have kept evolving it instead of trying to switch it to a road warrior.
Around here, a 955 of the latter years can be quite inexpensive if you catch one - I see maybe four or five up for sale on craigslist per season [which is awful long here... really year-round if you can stand the heat].

everytime I consider it however I think to myself: "what exactly do I GAIN from switching from Weestrom which is all dialed-in at this point, to Tiger?"
And the answers I come up with are:
- its different.
- its probably a much more suitable 2-up ride in the boonies. but I avoid 2-up if/when I can which is most of the time
- it has more raw power

Other than that, its all downside:
- worse fuel efficiency
- a few more issues that must be dealt with
- wee bit tougher aftermarket
- not as nimble
- its heavier - i hate weight
- the unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenool View Post
So I've been riding for over 5 years now, the last 3+ on a SV650S. The sport bike setup is finally catching up to me (my back in particular) and the adv bikes are really interesting to me. I'll mostly be using my new bike for commuting, but I'd like to get out on the weekends and still be able to do some twisties and getting off the pavement would be awesome too (I would think at least - haven't really done any off roading). Some long distance touring once a year could be cool too.

Anyways it would seem both of the Wee and older Tigers can be had for $4-6k depending on mileage and add-ons. They both seem to be mostly street oriented, but as I've found on here plenty of people play with them in the tame (and some not so tame) off road duty. My main concern is that the Tiger may be less reliable and cost me more time/money on maintenance. Since I'm coming from an SV I'm already pretty familiar with the Suzuki V-twin and have been pleased with it. Part of me loves the reliability, but another part is ready for something new as long as it won't cost me an arm and a leg. Plus the wee is kinda ugly :-p

Any advice fellas? I'd appreciate it!

-Yenool (San Diego)
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #27
Mikemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I say just get whatever you get the best deal with

A year ago in January 2011 I picked up a 2005 Vstrom (DL650) with 8,800 miles for $3900. Not a scratch on it. While I was really looking for the DL1000, there was no way I could have passed up on this deal. And now with my bike fully farkled with crash bars, skid plate, alum panniers, madstad, etc.. my total cost out of pocket has been less than $5000
Mikemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
Exploron
exploron

Oddometer: 79
I've ridden and like both.
I could have bought my bro's squeaky clean, babied V-strom that he doesn't ride much. Instead, I rolled the dice and had a used '06 Tiger shipped from a Ga dealer to me here in Az.
Glad I did. The Tiger makes me smile, the V-strom just got me down the road.
My '06 tiger is bone stock as far as I know and it regularly gets 50 mpg. That gives me a longer range than my buddy riding his V-strom.
Maybe all the other Tigers out there have been modified and don't get 50 mpg.
The V-strom's realiability is legendary. The Tiger has a couple minor quirks, but for some (most), the power makes up for it.
I did change out (very easy) the regulator/rectifier to the newer mosfet type as I read the stock one can lead to electrical system problems.
The other famous issue for the Tiger is the radiator cap. A little challenging to get to. Get a spare. Apparently, they tend to crap out.
Also, I absolutely had to get the seat modified - Spencer's made all the difference.
The stock V-strom seat does seem to be more comfy, but then again seats are such a personal thing.
The passing power of the Tiger on the highway is fantastic.... addictive even. That triple whistle is also a beautiful thing.
The tranny on the V-strom feels a little smoother. The V-strom headlight might be stronger.
I will attest, the Triumph will get you more attention at the gas station, especially from older Triumph fans.

Can't go wrong with either. One is more practical, one is more powerful.
Exploron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #29
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,653
that's a good MPG figger on the tigger.
and I agree it is an attention getter. everytime I see one I think what a great looking gnarly thing it is. that is a look that will endure over a long time - it will be like the transalp someday
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #30
Exploron
exploron

Oddometer: 79
Yep, just looked at some old gas receipts showing 48-50 mpg U.S.
I think the guy on post #17 made a good point.
Perhaps the comparo needs to be with the V-strom 1000?
That might just be the ticket if a guy wants total reliability with power and doesn't need "something different" or thrilling.
Exploron is offline   Reply With Quote