Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #76
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
I just went through this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815559
Reader's Digest version: Neither bike is bad. It really came down to comfort and personal preference. I so liked the looks of the Tigger and the uniqueness of being a Triumph, but ultimately the Wee fit me better. You really need to ride both and then decide. I don't think one has any particular advantage over the other.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #77
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
old thread, but these are the 2 bikes I'm thinking about.

Might get one or the other, used. $4000-5000 to spend.

I've seen low mileage examples of both bikes in that range.
I was in this same boat in August, I ultimately focused in on the Tiger once I researched and found them reliable...the looks and power already had me looking hard at them

I ended up buying a stripped and neglected '01 Girlie for $3300...distance and availability helped make my choice. No regrets here...more character and "soul" (and power) is what you get with the Girlie over the Strom. I love this thing

Maybe I can offer you a test ride if I get out your way playing the RI/east CT TOR...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #78
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Thanks ddavidv:

That was an interesting read. Thanks for this: http://cycle-ergo.com/

I had seen it before, but lost the link. It really is helpful to see where things fall before even trying the bike.

Funny about the Caponord. I just started considering it also, but they are scarce.

I'm leaning towards the Tiger now, but I haven't even sat on one. I have a Wee that I can try anytime, but a 955 isn't in my list of bikes owned by people I know. (edit: looks like there might be one not too far. thanks bobnoxious) I need to Ebay my Penton before I can do anything.

There's a Triumph/Aprillia/Royal Enfield dealer in the next town and a Suz/Kaw/Yam dealer in the same town also, so support is there for almost any choice I make.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #79
birddogone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hey Rusty, I first noticed 955 Tigers about a year ago. Had a glimpse of one at night, while in Cody WY this past summer, certainly never sat on one much less rode one. I drove 1400 miles round trip this past fall to buy an 06 and have never been happier with a motorcycle. Ridden BMWs for 30 years and probably will sell my K bike in the spring.
Rod in Va.

Quote:
Thanks ddavidv:

I had seen it before, but lost the link. It really is helpful to see where things fall before even trying the bike.

Funny about the Caponord. I just started considering it also, but they are scarce.

I'm leaning towards the Tiger now, but I haven't even sat on one. I have a Wee that I can try anytime, but a 955 isn't in my list of bikes owned by people I know. (edit: looks like there might be one not too far. thanks bobnoxious) I need to Ebay my Penton before I can do anything.

There's a Triumph/Aprillia/Royal Enfield dealer in the next town and a Suz/Kaw/Yam dealer in the same town also, so support is there for almost any choice I make.
birddogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #80
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Thanks ddavidv:

Load that KTM up and come out here for a day of riding with me, and I'll get you on the Tiger
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #81
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
[QUOTE=Seavoyage;18051019]The Tiger lost it's 9.3" (230mm)/7.9"(200mm) long travel suspension after 2001. 2002 forks reduced to 180mm, and 2005-2006 were 170mm just like the 1050. All were 43mm damper rod, KYB non adjustable forks; but the fork caps can be replaced with pre-load adjusters off a Speed Four.

2002-2006 were very much road oriented, with the 2005-2006 going further (less suspension travel) and loosing the wire spoked wheels. [/QUOTE

Did they really change the front suspension after 2001? Does this make for an advantage or dis-advantage to getting an '01 Tiger? I am looking at an '01, the same year the friend of mine has. I thought they all were the same from '01 to '04 and then they shortened the stroke and went to cast wheels.

I noticed that racetech has kits for the '02 to '06 only, nothing for the '01. Makes sense.
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #82
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
[QUOTE=Hatley Rocket;20411601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
The Tiger lost it's 9.3" (230mm)/7.9"(200mm) long travel suspension after 2001. 2002 forks reduced to 180mm, and 2005-2006 were 170mm just like the 1050. All were 43mm damper rod, KYB non adjustable forks; but the fork caps can be replaced with pre-load adjusters off a Speed Four.

2002-2006 were very much road oriented, with the 2005-2006 going further (less suspension travel) and loosing the wire spoked wheels. [/QUOTE

Did they really change the front suspension after 2001? Does this make for an advantage or dis-advantage to getting an '01 Tiger? I am looking at an '01, the same year the friend of mine has. I thought they all were the same from '01 to '04 and then they shortened the stroke and went to cast wheels.

I noticed that racetech has kits for the '02 to '06 only, nothing for the '01. Makes sense.
01's had soft valves or seats if I recall correctly. I have zeroed in on '02-04's for now, but this suspension talk has me thinking. "get an '01 and fix the valves." What is the consensus?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote