Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #61
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hey Aimee,

Nice report! I always forget about day trippin'...
I like the cool stuff you found at black rock.

kelly
Hi Kelly. Thanks for checking it out. I was only looking around for about an hour and found so much. Give me two hours and I may find a discarded trunk full of pioneer money.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #62
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Nice photos. Do you know how far you can travel on the Applegate-Lassen Emigrant Trail?

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #63
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro View Post
Nice photos. Do you know how far you can travel on the Applegate-Lassen Emigrant Trail?
Thanks SenorPeligro. The trail actually starts around Rye Patch Reservoir/Lassen Meadows in Nevada. It branched off of the California Trail at about that point. Word has it, you can go all the way to Goose Lake, CA at the CA-OR border following along the actual trail. Lassen headed south at Goose Lake into Northern CA, Applegate kept going north into Oregon. Part of the Lassen route runs through Lassen Volcanic Park and that is off limits to vehicles. It is now part of the Pacific Crest hikers trail.

Also--The High Rock Canyon gate is closed the first weekend in February until mid-May. Apparently the nesting Raptors and California Bighorn Sheep need their privacy during mating season.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #64
deadbird
Very Large Bird

Oddometer: 149
Missing the Black Rock Desert.

I love that area, I'll be out for a week around the 4th of July for my annual trip.
Last year was WET and kept us out of the deep Playa.
Stop by the dude ranch at Soldier Meadows next time, it's very cool and they are very nice.
There is so mutch to explore out there, you are just scraping the surface, happy travels.
-Deadbird
deadbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #65
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
I love that area, I'll be out for a week around the 4th of July for my annual trip.
Last year was WET and kept us out of the deep Playa.
Stop by the dude ranch at Soldier Meadows next time, it's very cool and they are very nice.
There is so mutch to explore out there, you are just scraping the surface, happy travels.
-Deadbird
Hi deadbird. It hasn't even started snowing around here yet. I hope the winter does not last forever again. We will definitely stop by Soldier Meadows Ranch one day. I've heard they are great folks. Have a great trip in July. I can only imagine the crazy firework displays that take place out there.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #66
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hey PP lock your doors, I hear Grey Wolf OR7 is headed toward Susanville!
He came pretty close to us. If he drops down a little south, he will be cruising across the Black Rock desert.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #67
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Thanks for taking us along. I grew up in Reno and got to ride alot of desert including Doyle down the road from you as a kid. I will be trying to explore some areas between Rome and Reno this year so it's always fun to see what is in store. As others stated, great pics and history.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #68
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 478
Pinkpillion,
Great report and a question. I am preparing for an April spring break trip from Reno to Denio to see the WWII bomber crash site. I know the High Rock Canyon Road is closed and I'm picking a route around but need to know where the locked gate is located.
Question: Is the locked gate near High Rock Lake??? Or is it farther north???

Thanks bunches and Richard is a lucky guy to have a cool mate that rides:)
KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #69
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Thanks for taking us along. I grew up in Reno and got to ride alot of desert including Doyle down the road from you as a kid. I will be trying to explore some areas between Rome and Reno this year so it's always fun to see what is in store. As others stated, great pics and history.
Thanks GG. We ride in Doyle at Fort Sage quite a bit. I still need to get over to moon rocks though. So much to see!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #70
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Pinkpillion,
Great report and a question. I am preparing for an April spring break trip from Reno to Denio to see the WWII bomber crash site. I know the High Rock Canyon Road is closed and I'm picking a route around but need to know where the locked gate is located.
Question: Is the locked gate near High Rock Lake??? Or is it farther north???

Thanks bunches and Richard is a lucky guy to have a cool mate that rides:)
KJ
Hi knobbyjoe. The gate is at the mouth of High Rock Canyon (right across from the lake). You would be stuck there. It would be quite a hike to the actual big canyon, it is way up the trail. No access from the other way, another gate locks you out from the other side five miles south of Stevens Camp. I am stoked he takes me to all of the crazy places that I mark on the map. (and he carries the gas and tools) Have a great trip in April.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #71
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_the_bald View Post
Please keep it coming!
I'm looking into a trip out to NW Nevada this year.
For you that know... If Jan isn't the smart time of year, would June or Sept be the better plan?
September is always safer out on the dry lake beds, depends on the year of course but June can still have wet spots on the playa, days are getting shorter though in Sept. so first half is safer if your coming from a long way away. I have been snowed on out there on Oct. 1 (that is rare). Labor day is Burning man festival, so might want to avoid that unless you want to attend, I have fond memories of all the trips there, but the camping and exploring are definetly more comfortable with the good weather. Enjoy
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #72
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
Hi PinkPillion. I completely missed this one. I'm glad it got bumped. Thanks for making my morning. What an awesome read! Of course, with the Husky you are no longer on the pillion. The new bikes are cool.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Hi PinkPillion. I completely missed this one. I'm glad it got bumped. Thanks for making my morning. What an awesome read! Of course, with the Husky you are no longer on the pillion. The new bikes are cool.
Well there you are Dave6253. Glad you found it! "Pillion"---Funny you mention that-- It makes people think I am a wuss. The huskies are super rad. We will be taking them out for a nice 4-dayer in about a week. Thanks for checking out the RR.