ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Dust to Glory, a mini review

I saw DUST TO GLORY on Friday night. It was kind of amusing because the theater audience was composed of myself, the girl I was with, and 4 other people.

Anyway, this movie profiles the venerable BAJA 1000 race. I went to see this movie just to see some cool race footage, but the movie is a lot more than that. The stories were awe inspiring, the characters were admirable. I rate DUST TO GLORY close to or better than FASTER. It's that good.

While not all of the footage is motorcycle related, a big chunk of it is. And trust me, the car races are amazing to watch as well. In BAJA, they have what is called an 'UNLIMITED CLASS', where anything goes. These multimillion dollar vehicles actually have choppers flying right above them as route scounts!

Oh yeah... the race route is not closed to the public, so in some sections, you have racers racing right among crowds, and local vehicles. Amazing.

Check Yahoo for local showtimes; you won't regret it.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,185
Thanks for the review. I missed it Friday, due to work (sucks).

It's coming to the Charles Theater in Baltimore on the 22nd though.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,127
I want to watch it again. It was good! What show time did you go to?
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I went to the 11:10 showing on Friday in Georgetown.

This movie is definately worth catching. I will probably get the dvd as well.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Just saw the movie.

AND IT KICKED ASS.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
Stumby
2 wheels needed

Oddometer: 674
Looks like Netflix allready has it...

Dust to Glory
Stumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Thumb

A friend of mine was in Baja at the race when they filmed this. He has nothing but good to say about the Baja experience and the movie should be excellent.

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Went last night in Atlanta with some of the AdvRiders from the area. Great movie, documentary, no professional actors, real racers, real racing, real people, some really scary footage. If you like adventure riding you are going to like this film.

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
I agree fully: Went with GreyGhost and a few others last night: It is a great story told (and filmed) by someone with an obvious sense of adventure and a great sense of humor. No over the top hero worship, just gives you a great sense of what the race is really all about. And the middle 'stint' with Johnny Cambell wringing his Honda over the beaches at full-out speed were amazing. I am going to see it again!

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompton
I agree fully: Went with GreyGhost and a few others last night: It is a great story told (and filmed) by someone with an obvious sense of adventure and a great sense of humor. No over the top hero worship, just gives you a great sense of what the race is really all about. And the middle 'stint' with Johnny Cambell wringing his Honda over the beaches at full-out speed were amazing. I am going to see it again!
Me to. But, I am thinking of buying the DVD instead. I see that Hollywood Video lists it as well as netflixs. Me thinks we could have another Atlanta get together at someones house and have a viewing if we can get a copy.

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,658
Ghost! Good to see you and Jr. again.

rc! Great to meet you.

Incredible movie! If only I had a nickel for every time I said, "oh, shit!" in my head, and every time I said, "niiiiiiiiiiiice," out loud.

The beach footage of Johnny Cambell chasing Andy (somethiner'nuther . . ?) was incredible. Interviews with Robby Gordon and some Hawaiian named Pflueger (sp?), both supertruck pilots, were great. The Mouse McCoy story topped it all . . . sonofabitch rode a big Honda the entire 1000 miles ALONE, finishing after a . . . oops . . . go see it.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #12
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
Me to. But, I am thinking of buying the DVD instead. I see that Hollywood Video lists it as well as netflixs. Me thinks we could have another Atlanta get together at someones house and have a viewing if we can get a copy.

"Say when."

Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #13
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,425

I ate pizza and watched Golden Girls last night.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
I tried to d/l it last night without success. (shhh......) I will see if I can scrounge up a copy for my collection. I will order it through NEtFlix and see!

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 04-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #15
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
Ghost! Good to see you and Jr. again.

rc! Great to meet you.

Incredible movie! If only I had a nickel for every time I said, "oh, shit!" in my head, and every time I said, "niiiiiiiiiiiice," out loud.

The beach footage of Johnny Cambell chasing Andy (somethiner'nuther . . ?) was incredible. Interviews with Robby Gordon and some Hawaiian named Pflueger (sp?), both supertruck pilots, were great. The Mouse McCoy story topped it all . . . sonofabitch rode a big Honda the entire 1000 miles ALONE, finishing after a . . . oops . . . go see it.
Dija get to your buddies dry? I drove through a shitstorm of lightning and got dumped on about a mile from the house, getting off on Windy Hill.

Kurt Vonnegut