User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My old R90/6

So sometime back I posted up some pics of a Harley tank turned seat cowl that a rare few of you may remember.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638388

Well, it's time to scrap that plan and start really tearing into this thing.

Ordered an original solo seat, new clutch cable, throttle cable, and centerstand spring (apparently lost that in the moves).

Now it's time for some cleaning. When I originally got the airhead it was in great shape. A few parts missing here and there and whatnot but clean. However, when I moved to Oregon from St Louis I had it on a trailer and man did the salt/snow/ice spray take a toll. Got my soda blasting cabinet set up at the shop and started cleaning things up a bit. Thought you guys might be able to appreciate it.

The parts before the blaster.

Looks like the oxidation got down pretty deep into the airbox parts. Might have to change plans for those.

Soda isn't too tough on parts but also won't remove any base material so this is as much of a difference as I'm getting on those bits.

But the paint peeling is pretty darn good IMO.

Time to get back to blasting. Catch you guys later.
brentonodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh

Well, got the front cover cleaned up. In the future I'm going to have to get a bigger compressor for this cabinet. Not near enough CFM's.

Here's what it looks like after a bit of cleanup.

Moved on to the brake caliper since it needs blasting as well. It had been sitting on the bike with no hoses running to it so I was a bit worried about what I'd find inside. After some pushing, compressed air (down way low on the pressure), and pushing, and compressed air (slightly higher) and pushing, and compressed air (about 60 psi) KabooO!M that cylinder shot right on out of there. Sad to say that there's some pitting on the OD where the seal rides so this cylinder is going to either need some help or get replaced. Anyone have a good idea for that?

Here's a close up.

Part of me thinks I could machine out a new one sometime soon. The other part is thinking, "those are the things that make the bike stop"

Anyway. Time to head home.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Soda did nada to my oxidized cast parts. I ended up having them done with aluminum oxide, followed by scotchbrite buffing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

Perhaps I'll have to put the aluminum oxide media back in later when I'm finished up with the soda stuff.

So I got the brake caliper tore all the way down (seals out) and cleaned it up. Ended up polishing some of the mold parting lines off so it's looking super smooth. Going to hit it with some black caliper paint tomorrow. New seals and a piston should be here from Max. Those guys have everything.

Been looking at what to do with the master cylinder. Not too stoked on the idea of using the under tank design. After browsing for master cylinders I realized that I've gotta replace my KTM's master cylinder after a run-in with a Suburban on Pismo Beach a few weekends ago. Broke the mirror mount section of the master cylinder. Luckily, I'm not that concerned about the right mirror on the airhead just yet. We'll see if they fit. Pics to follow when it comes in.

Tomorrow I'm going to source some tubing and get prepped to bend a tail section hoop that'll weld on to the stock rear subframe. I believe now is a time for a beer though.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

So parts will be here Tuesday. Till then I'm trying to decide on a battery setup for the ole gal. Been practicing up the aluminum welding in order to make a new battery box for whatever I end up with. Thoughts on this? Saw something about a panasonic from digikey the other day.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 719
Cool2

I am on my second Panasonic, from Digikey.
There was one in it, when I made my purchase.......60,000 miles ago....It lasted a good many years....I do NOT recall just when I became an AIRHEAD. I can say that the current battery is at least three or even four years old....I do average something between 10,000 and 15,000 per year.
There WILL be a third of these, as well.....It may not be for quite a while.
Others will have different thoughts.
Good luck!
Have FUN!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

caliper painted and battery box

Finished up the caliper painting. I think it looks better than the peeling red paint that it had.

All prepped and ready for a coat.

Since it's raining out I figured it was a good day to practice up on the aluminum welding and try out making a battery box. Here's the progress so far.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,747
Seems like you're gonna do fine with the welded aluminum box!!

You can always make a "folded box" that only needs tacking at the top/corners... it leaves lots of slot for ventilation....

Lookin' good!!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

Battery box

So I'm about 80% done with the battery box. Got the box welded up essentially. Going to mount it horizontally under the seat so that it leaves the triangle area clear. Hopefully it turns out alright. If not, there's always the sawz all.

Started with some 6061 0.050" sheet and a Yuasa from my KTM. Figured it's a pretty standard size that I'll have around.

Fixture stuff up as much as you can when working with aluminum.

Also, speed holes in EVERYTHING. That's the only way to go fast!

I think it turned out alright. Got some cleanup to do and some brackets to make but good for tonight.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Nice work on the box, but that size battery is going to be hard pressed starting an Airhead, I had a GYZ 20 that couldn't cut the mustard. Unless you're going with one of the new leight weight LiPos or something like that.
You might also factor in some rubber between the box and the battery.

Looked at your previous thread with the HD seat, looking forward to where you'll be going with this.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 09:20 PM Reason: ESL
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

Hmmm, interesting. We'll see how she holds up. Could upgrade batteries or just whip up another box. Took about two hours for that one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
bpeckm
Grin!

Unless I am mistaken by the scale, that looks like pretty much the battery that I run, and it has no problem at all starting my R80, even in cool fall and spring weather....

Just out of curiosity, since I am starting to do some very rudimentary aluminum work: how do you cut those nice neat holes? I have some metal-cutting hole saws with a drill press, but they don't look like that!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

Thanks bpeckm. I just used a drill press and hole saw. You've got to hold the part down pretty steady and keep the right amount of pressure on it. If it's making a terrible racket while you're drilling then you're going to get lots of chatter and a hole that looks like it was gnawed out by a beaver

After you drill them give them a quick deburr with something like a deburring whip (fondly referred to as a swivel bevel in my group). You can get one at McMaster. P/N 4289A33. Cheers
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentonodon View Post
Thanks bpeckm. I just used a drill press and hole saw. You've got to hold the part down pretty steady and keep the right amount of pressure on it. If it's making a terrible racket while you're drilling then you're going to get lots of chatter and a hole that looks like it was gnawed out by a beaver

After you drill them give them a quick deburr with something like a deburring whip (fondly referred to as a swivel bevel in my group). You can get one at McMaster. P/N 4289A33. Cheers
Good to know... I do try to clamp down, and I understand the "gnawed by a beaver...."

I was trying to do some holes in the 1/2" to 1" range, which is a bitch cuz holesaws only go down to about 1", and twist drills bigger than 1/2" are spendy..... ended up using a spade bit, believe it or not, which was a sacrifice to the gods of aluminium

I have hand sanded the interior surfaces, have thought of a spindle sander for the drill press, will have to look into the "deburring whip" (That's a new one to me!!)

Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
brentonodon OP
Adventurer

The other thing to make sure of is keeping the RPM's down for the hole saw. I cranked our drill press all the way down to the lowest speed. It snagged in one of the plates once and about took the thumb off. Gotta be careful with these things ya know.

The little whips are very quick for deburring, can end up with some uneven cutting but take your time and you can do alright with one.