Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #181
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Bearings about $200. Seal and gasket set another 35-40.

Then it's a matter of whether it needs anything else.

I took my gearbox apart, and decided to replace nothing. Everything in it was clean as could be, and I do not subscribe to the notion, "Well just replace all the bearings anyway since it's apart." I don't like wasting resources and replacing things that still work.

I'm taking it to a gearbox tech day to get a second opinion from the veterans, and to put it back together properly adjusted. The only issue I found was that the shift forks didn't seem to be adjusted exactly right.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #182
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Spencer,

Transmissions are a no-fly wrenching zone for me. No experience with the internal disassembly/assembly and diagnosis of existing critical conditions. If I "helped" it would be more in the area of observance and emotional support. My recommendation would be to take it to a knowledgable source. You'll save a considerable chunk if you do the R&R yourself and having a local expert will surely save you shipping charges. Just my opinion and recommendation.

-Mike V.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #183
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,294
Quote:
Transmissions are a no-fly wrenching zone for me...
True that. I've done tranny's before, but there is a subconscious "feel" that comes from experience. There is more to shimming and inspecting parts than going by the numbers.

I did bearings-and-seals on my tranny 30-ish years and 90K ago when I was young and energetic, but since the venerable old vier-gang box has a lot of NLA parts in it and I've not done one in decades, I'm sending it out to be refreshed. Watch a couple being done by experts, then try one of your own on a long-term project. And/or have a mentor walk you thru it. After all, who will be the Oak's or Anton's or Ted's of the 22nd Century? You have plenty of time...
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #184
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Mike, i feel betrayed. You mean you don't want to watch me destroy my transmission? ;)

spoil sports... ;) jk of course. is a complex balancing act - learning and experience vs safety and convenience.

Maybe I'll cart the transmission over to the pro tomorrow and chat him up a bit more. Maybe he'll let me observe and take some fotos... somehow don't think it is terribly likely, but no harm in asking.
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #185
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh yeah, after you take your impact driver to your oil pump screws, you may want to change them to allen head.
If you change the oil pump cover screws from the old Phillips head counter sunk to the later style bolt hex head you have to change to the later style cover also. Also note this is a place that it is recommended you use a torque wrench.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #186
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
Bill! spline lube is on the menu! I need to pick up some correct moly grease - maybe tomorrow - you think local auto parts store will have it?Spencer
Honda Moly 60. Don't think you will find it anywhere except a Honda Motorcycle dealer. They may even have to order it. Check Snowbum's site for more recommendations and suggestions about making your own. Spline lube needs to be slick for the clutch to move, it doesn't move much, and have an impact additive that can withstand the pressure it sees. It also has to be sticky to stay in place. The Honda product may not be the best but it seems that up to this date it is the best we have found. Other opinions on lubing the splines but if you don't make the mistake of using too much and only apply it to the splines of the trans you will be OK. If you are going to a regular auto parts store you might try asking for "high pressure grease." If it contains Molybdenum your on the right track.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #187
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I love tearing transmissions apart. i have three in pieces now. Have only ever put one back together.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #188
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Honda Moly 60. Don't think you will find it anywhere except a Honda Motorcycle dealer. They may even have to order it. Check Snowbum's site for more recommendations and suggestions about making your own. Spline lube needs to be slick for the clutch to move, it doesn't move much, and have an impact additive that can withstand the pressure it sees. It also has to be sticky to stay in place. The Honda product may not be the best but it seems that up to this date it is the best we have found. Other opinions on lubing the splines but if you don't make the mistake of using too much and only apply it to the splines of the trans you will be OK. If you are going to a regular auto parts store you might try asking for "high pressure grease." If it contains Molybdenum your on the right track.
northwoods has a premade moly60 mix for sale for cheap. i got some from there along with some other odds and ends. if you buy a tube of the stuff from honda or mix your own you will probably have enough for 50 lifetimes. this little bit is enough for you and some friends.

http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/Tools.html
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #189
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
I love tearing transmissions apart. i have three in pieces now. Have only ever put one back together.
ha! that is where i do not want to be;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #190
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Spencer,

I have plenty of HondaMoly60 you can have. I'll prepare a bottle for you this weekend.
Tom, Ted and others offer it if you choose to purchase some later but I have enough for both of us for a few years.

This isn't hypoid - don't put it in your mouth.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #191
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
ha! that is where i do not want to be;)
It's not as bad as it seems. Something always comes up. I have a working, sort of working, trans in my bike right now. It came from a '77 Airhead that I parted out. I have another used box and the one I rebuilt which I will someday take apart to fix the problem I built into it. I'm sure there is stuff about the Getrag 5 speed that I will never master but I think I have built a serviceable trans and can do even better. But like I say, I'm always busy so I haven't gotten around to it.

I don't plan on doing this for income or even to make a little money but I do think I can sell a couple of working transmissions to my fellow local Airheads. Well that is what I used to think. My opinion of my Airhead pals has not been too high of late. I mostly see these guys that want a restored bike parked in the garage. Garage Queen types. I don't really get along with people once I have found out all they want is a museum piece. If I get my hands on their museum piece I will ride the shit out of it. Actually I don't get along with a lot of people anyway.

We're having a tech day tomorrow. You wanna come?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #192
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I have this advice about rebuilding your own transmission. If you want to do this to learn about the makings of your bike and you have this insatiable urge to fix your own stuff then go at it. The Getrag 5 speed is doable. If you want to do this to save money then forget it. It will cost more money than you think, there's a couple of tools you have to have, there's the part about shimming, tools for that too, and it will take longer than you think. You can brake even after you rebuild 4 or 5.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #193
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
We're having a tech day tomorrow. You wanna come?
I absolutely would, but MD is a bit far away (although i used to be in DC every weekend so i'm familiar with silver spring:) )

apt13! as you see, big Mike V. is hooking me up - probably did what you mention and has oodles of it;)

Mike - you're lube is safe from my mouth. boy does that sound bad.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #194
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Happy Monday everyone! (if that is ever possible)

I had a very enjoyable weekend:) After discovering a slipping clutch on the way home from work on Friday (up a very large hill near my house) I proceeded to worry and fret that I had accidentally greased up my clutch during the transmission swap. However! Mike and Ben came over to my place before the tech day and in 3 minutes we'd adjusted my clutch cable properly and all was well with the universe again:) ((Thanks Mike!))

Then it was off to the tech day:) It was very enjoyable to meet a bunch of guys all with this same strange interest in 30 year old german motorcycles. It was kind of light on "tech", although it looked like there were 2 bikes that really did get some attention, but it was heavy on socializing and was a lot of fun.

Good times:)

I'm trying to get a bit of "last minute" advice from another local guru about my transmission today, and depending on what i hear may take my tranny into the pro tomorrow.

Next up is Stoner's tech day on May 5th. After that I think I'll take apart the front end... i think I'll give the house some attention for the next 2 weeks...

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #195
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
any better photos of the little flyscreen on that brown bike? i'm obsessed with putting a flyscreen on mine for some reason, haha.
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote