User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #256
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
some photos of the frame repair work:

i popped off the ID plate before powdercoat - i'll put it back on after:)

My jumble of parts waiting their turn at the PC'er. I feel like a parent leaving their kid at preschool (I don't have kids)

good times!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #257
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post

good times!
Spencer
Nice!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #258
Werner1111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
anyone know what the tab is for in the middle of the cross piece below (near the brake lever pivot)? I don't remember taking anything off that.

Spencer
I think that tab is used on bikes with rear disc brakes, which I believe started in 1978. There is a support bar that runs from that point to the rear caliper. Look up this part number on Max BMW - 34 31 1 236 821.
Werner1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #259
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I picked up the frame and parts today from the powder coater!

(i'm linking from facebook - i hope this works...)

I didn't unwrap everything yet, but what I've seen looks fantastic... If only I were ready to reassemble! It's been a far to busy few weeks and I did not get done what i wanted while the frame was away.

also. I bought my wife a bike - 1970 Honda CL350.

It runs but not real well and need some work... but that will be a different thread;)

Hope everyone had a great holiday!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #260
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
i dig that frame color, can't wait to see it all put together.
and super sweet 350!
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #261
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
i dig that frame color, can't wait to see it all put together.
and super sweet 350!
ah, i see you have a CB360 - i may be picking your brain for where to find parts and resources;)... I know very little about this bike so far...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #262
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Made some progress this weekend!

Got the powdercoated bits into the garage and am very pleased with them:)

I also spent a bunch of time working on my forks. If you recall I had some unpleasant surprises in my dual disc set, but with some elbow grease and a lot of swearing I finally got them fully disassembled to know what parts I had to work with. the forks that come on my bike in contrast were exceptionally clean, but the PO had tightened a bunch of things down like a champ and it took a visit to Renner and the use of a special tool he had and an impact driver to get everything finally apart. I'm confident that I'll get one really good set of forks out of this deal;)

from the original forks:

I also spent some time working on the rear wheel. Mike V has kindly offered to help me with the wheel bearings but I want to clean up the wheels first. I don't have the patience for polishing that some other inmates have displayed, but I spent some time with some fine sandpaper, steel wool, and polishing grease and am satisfied.

the front wheel, not cleaned up yet:

oh, on the rear wheel, is it ok for me to take this hub apart?

seems like it would make it easier to clean the splines on the opposite side...

I think that's it for now. I called the Beemer Shop and they're shipping a bunch of stuff to me this week! I should have my new clutch and new shocks and springs and a whole bunch of bits in just a few days! I'm so excited to start reassembly! I'll get my shaft put back in the swing arm probably Tuesday afternoon... it's all coming together:)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #263
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Spencer,

Looking good. Not a problem taking the bearing cap off. Five bolts will release the cap and tapered bearing on that side. The grease seal is pressed into the cap. You'll need to order a new gasket for the cap (pn:36311232523) if you haven't done so already.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #264
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Boom Baby!

rear-sets arrived today:)

www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #265
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,934
Wait, what? Rear sets??? Are you going cafe with this bike?? I missed that part.

PS You been back to look at the first page of this thread, lately? Crazy.

Quote:
Boom Baby!

rear-sets arrived today:)

hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #266
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Wait, what? Rear sets??? Are you going cafe with this bike?? I missed that part.

PS You been back to look at the first page of this thread, lately? Crazy.
cafe-ISH;) yeah, i've come a long way:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #267
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Yeah man!!

Been following along - it is crazy how fast you are moving! You are doing everything that I have been wanting to do over the last 2 years in six months! I cannot wait to see it as it is coming together. It is going to be one sweet ride.
All of the other projects have now been put on the back burner and the R75/7 has moved to the front.

One question - when you powder coated the frame did the guys take care of all the bearing mount and threaded holes or did you have to protect those?

Eagerly awaiting more pics

Roy
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #268
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Been following along - it is crazy how fast you are moving! You are doing everything that I have been wanting to do over the last 2 years in six months! I cannot wait to see it as it is coming together. It is going to be one sweet ride.
All of the other projects have now been put on the back burner and the R75/7 has moved to the front.

One question - when you powder coated the frame did the guys take care of all the bearing mount and threaded holes or did you have to protect those?

Eagerly awaiting more pics

Roy
Thanks Roy:) The powder coater I used masks off what you tell them, in my case it was a standard "inserts" and "threads". the inserts are all the bearing seats and such. They did a pretty good job, but not perfect. When Renner was over we noticed that the brake lever pivot hole got some powder coat in it that i need to clean out, and I imagine there are some other areas as well that I'll have to clean out. Last night i took a good look at the steering neck and it was pretty clean. I did take some very fine sand paper to it just to make sure.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #269
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

OMG so awesome. I can't wait to get these installed! I got a box of parts yesterday, with more coming next week I hope. I believe I have everything to rebuild my front end so that is what I'm going to focus on this weekend:)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #270
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

hello weekend!

I've been working away, but it doesn't seem like much has gotten accomplished.

I was going to reassemble the final drive/swing arm, but I'm not sure about greasing the splines - DO i? what kind of grease there? or does the hypoid take care of it?

It was not easy getting the old gasket off, but perseverance will get you everywhere:)

Oh, and how about the grease on the final drive?

I also put the bearings in the swingarm. I figured it was easier to do with the final drive off. I didn't have an appropriately sized socket to help me hammer them in, but Renner suggested I use the old races, which worked perfectly, but I had to bust out the bearing puller to get them back out! (thanks again Mike!)

Let me also say that I LOVE the Beemer Shop. While I was cleaning stuff up and taking things apart I noticed that there were several orings and bits that I wanted for the brake pivot (felt ring), and brake parts (calipers), so I called up (my new buddy;) ) Robert and he ordered some stuff up for me.

I cleaned up the metal, but the felt is pretty old.

So. Brakes. I discovered that the former owner glued the pads into the caliper with some sort of sealant.

I was able to get them out, but am left baffled! Also I can't get the fittings off the caliper. I'm going to put Speedbleeders on there but the fitting seemed stuck. I've got some penetrating oil on there right now and will try again tomorrow...

For those who wanted to know, the master cylinder is 17mm.

I wasn't sure how to determine the size until Renner told me there should be something stamped on the MC. Even so, it hardly looks like a number!

Anyway, MC! there are some orings and parts in there i'd like to change, but the Beemer Shop tells me you can only buy a whole MC... anyone know where I can get the o-rings? I was thinking of painting the the thing too...

Lastly, I riveted my plate back on the frame:) sometimes it is the small things that make me happy:)

Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com