all looking great
I thought huckys had the master kit if BMW does not
the orange junk on the calipers is antisqueel crap ususually used on cars
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #272
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
Sometimes we'll put a smear of Moly 60 on the driveshaft splines, on the theory that moly adheres to metal as a dry lubricant, even in hypoid oil. But the driveshaft oil is all that is normally needed.

You do know The Trick to mating the final drive to the swingarm? Before you tighten the four bolts, slip the axle in-- that provides the final alignment. No sealant on the gasket.

Moly 60 on the wheel splines, inside and out. No options.

The Orange goo on the brake pads? Some will put a dab of silicone sealant as an anti-squeal agent, and soem anti-squeal agents are orange. Not a big deal.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #273
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastranger View Post
all looking great
I thought huckys had the master kit if BMW does not
the orange junk on the calipers is antisqueel crap ususually used on cars
Great call! Huckys DOES have a MC kit for $69, thanks! (I wonder if it is worth it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Sometimes we'll put a smear of Moly 60 on the driveshaft splines, on the theory that moly adheres to metal as a dry lubricant, even in hypoid oil. But the driveshaft oil is all that is normally needed.

You do know The Trick to mating the final drive to the swingarm? Before you tighten the four bolts, slip the axle in-- that provides the final alignment. No sealant on the gasket.

Moly 60 on the wheel splines, inside and out. No options.

The Orange goo on the brake pads? Some will put a dab of silicone sealant as an anti-squeal agent, and soem anti-squeal agents are orange. Not a big deal.
Bill! Thanks - moly it is:) And I had read about using the axle, but it is always good to hear reinforcement!

2 votes for antisqeal. 10-4. Now that i read your comments I suppose it makes sense - it reduces vibration right? is it something I should do too? or wait and see if i get some squealage?

Thanks again! I'm off to the garage...
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #274
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

gah. brakes.

with no small amount of grunting i was able to get the supplies and bleeders off each caliper. bad news on one of the bleeder ports - trashed threads.

I guess I can helicoil this. (?) Or should i just look for a new caliper?

how about my pistons?:

some corosion - what do the experts think? usable?

Some good news though, I got the swingarm and final drive all together:)

and I needed some motivation so i put the tank on the bike:)

exciting!

oh, a while back a smarter guy than me suggesting getting another filter screen for the petcocks, which i did

but question - do i continue to use the gasket with the big screen? If yes, does it go on top or under the gasket? I believe this is a melding of petcock models so my diagrams don't cover it...

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #275
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
gah. brakes.

with no small amount of grunting i was able to get the supplies and bleeders off each caliper. bad news on one of the bleeder ports - trashed threads.

I guess I can helicoil this. (?) Or should i just look for a new caliper?

how about my pistons?:

some corosion - what do the experts think? usable?

Some good news though, I got the swingarm and final drive all together:)

and I needed some motivation so i put the tank on the bike:)

exciting!

oh, a while back a smarter guy than me suggesting getting another filter screen for the petcocks, which i did

but question - do i continue to use the gasket with the big screen? If yes, does it go on top or under the gasket? I believe this is a melding of petcock models so my diagrams don't cover it...

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Spencer
No. The new screen is the gasket. Do Not use the old (or new) fiber washer.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #276
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
Ahem,

may I have this:
Quote:
It would fit my slingshot nicely; I'm running out of shrapnel for the squirrels.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #277
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
No. The new screen is the gasket. Do Not use the old (or new) fiber washer.
Thanks! I suspected that but wasn't sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
may I have this:

It would fit my slingshot nicely; I'm running out of shrapnel for the squirrels.
No, i'm going to put it on a chain and wear it as a necklace. It is my tribute to previous owners and the wonderful lessons and learning experiences they give us;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #278
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Thanks! I suspected that but wasn't sure.

No, i'm going to put it on a chain and wear it as a necklace. It is my tribute to previous owners and the wonderful lessons and learning experiences they give us;)

Hah! That's actually a really neat idea.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #279
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,987
I don't know if you will be able to Heli Coil that bleeder screw thread or not. I think I would try if I had to but usable calipers are pretty cheap on Ebay if you wait for the right one. If the caliper you have has a number 40 stamped on it it is a 40 mm caliper. If no number then it is a 38 mm. Try to get another pair and maybe you'll also get some usable pistons. Those pistons are shot, no good. There may also be corrosion inside the calipers, where the pistons go?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #280
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I don't know if you will be able to Heli Coil that bleeder screw thread or not. I think I would try if I had to but usable calipers are pretty cheap on Ebay if you wait for the right one. If the caliper you have has a number 40 stamped on it it is a 40 mm caliper. If no number then it is a 38 mm. Try to get another pair and maybe you'll also get some usable pistons. Those pistons are shot, no good. There may also be corrosion inside the calipers, where the pistons go?
crap.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #281
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

All BMW bikes had 40mm calipers by this time. Only the very first /6 bikes had 38mm
The BMW Caliper Rebuild kit is expensive, BUT it comes with new Pistons.
I will send you my phone number out in Joshua Tree by PM, you can call me at WireWerkes tomorrow after 9 a.m.
I probably have a good caliper in my stash...really cheap.
I'm leaving town on Thursday, so don't hesitate too long.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #282
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I took some measurements and photos last night, but of course forgot to upload the photos. the caliper bores(where the pistons go?) seem ok. I'll try to get a photo up this evening. But the measurements i took of the uglier piston tell me the corrosion is right at the thick o-ring - so what happens, brake fluid can leak out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
All BMW bikes had 40mm calipers by this time. Only the very first /6 bikes had 38mm
The BMW Caliper Rebuild kit is expensive, BUT it comes with new Pistons.
I will send you my phone number out in Joshua Tree by PM, you can call me at WireWerkes tomorrow after 9 a.m.
I probably have a good caliper in my stash...really cheap.
I'm leaving town on Thursday, so don't hesitate too long.
Thanks! I'll try to give you call this morning. I'm wondering how much JUST the pistons are - I had already bought the rubber bits. I didn't think the pistons might be bad...

spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #283
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,987
It has been a frustration for some time, buying brake parts. It used to be there were two choices, complete kit with piston or seal kit. There has never been just the piston, you had to get it with the seals. I'm not sure it's still this way, in fact I suspect that only the complete kit is now the order of business. But check you might be able to buy just the seals.

You want to change that caliper if you can. The part Mr WW has may not even need seals. It is not a good place to try and repair a thread. I suspect that any repair will leak.

I know I've followed a lot of your project and you have replaced and rebuilt a lot of stuff. Don't worry this is the best way. A lot of us have rebuilt our bikes this way. Hopefully you'll get to do some miles after the heat this Summer is over. I rode today downtown. Had to pull over in the park because the bike was so hot and dying some at red lights. I later today went a few miles out of the beltway to a place that sells VHS video tapes for a dollar. I have a large collection of movie tapes. I'm thankfully home again in the Metro areas coldest AC house.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #284
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
It's going to be difficult to repair that bleeder thread. It's short, there is no room to work and the axis of the thread has to be comcentric with the conical bottom of the hole so that the conical tip of the bleeder nipple will mate precisely and seal. It'll probably leak if you try to fix it.

I'd do the offer of the replacement caliper.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #285
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

That Caliper body is IN THE MAIL today.

www.wirewerkes.com