Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #286
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
There has never been just the piston, you had to get it with the seals. I'm not sure it's still this way, in fact I suspect that only the complete kit is now the order of business. ...

Hopefully you'll get to do some miles after the heat this Summer is over. ...
Hucky will sell me just the pistons (plus a few odds and ends since i was on his site;))! Still, at $100 a piston, you'd think these brakes would have a better reputation;) And I live in San Diego - we don't get the same sort of stupidly oppressive heat/humidity you do;) (and it won't snow later;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
It's going to be difficult to repair that bleeder thread. It's short, there is no room to work and the axis of the thread has to be comcentric with the conical bottom of the hole so that the conical tip of the bleeder nipple will mate precisely and seal. It'll probably leak if you try to fix it.

I'd do the offer of the replacement caliper.
Yeah, i'm sure it would be hard, but as long as the drill bit and helicoil tap didn't damage the conical bottom (and I drilled straight!) I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but really, with the offer from wirewrkr it didn't make sense to go through the effort. now what do i do with this chunk of aluminum... its to big for a necklace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
That Caliper body is IN THE MAIL today.
You are AWESOME! Another great guy in the airhead community:) Thanks for taking the time to talk to me today!
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #287
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
now what do i do with this chunk of aluminum... its to big for a necklace.
You could, just for fun, go ahead and tap the thing just to see if it would work. What better to practice on than a piece of crap?
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #288
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
The drill bit has a taper on the front that will probably not touch the tapered bottom of the hole but the tap to make the threads that the Heli Coil will go into has a very long taper to it. You won't be able to make the threads with out destroying the seat of the bleeder screw. The bleeder screw seals against the bottom of that hole.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #289
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
You could, just for fun, go ahead and tap the thing just to see if it would work. What better to practice on than a piece of crap?
I thought about it, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The drill bit has a taper on the front that will probably not touch the tapered bottom of the hole but the tap to make the threads that the Heli Coil will go into has a very long taper to it. You won't be able to make the threads with out destroying the seat of the bleeder screw. The bleeder screw seals against the bottom of that hole.
I would have had to get a bottoming tap kit. That's really why doing it didn't make any sense - the cost of the helicoils and the bottoming tap set would have been more than an entirely new(to me) caliper!
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #290
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
I would have had to get a bottoming tap kit.
+1 bottoming tap, then break the helicoil tang upwards. possible.
Also moot thanks to wirewrkr

what to do with the lump...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #291
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
PROJECT-S calling

Benthic,

Just found your thread. Good reading. I too am rebuilding an airhead. Mostly cosmetic stuff still. Check out my thread and let's compare notes. Ha, we can go for a ride when I get my BMW running as I live in The OC... Actually we can go for a ride any time as I have 5 bikes to choose from (life is good).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054
http://www.photosbytink.com/bmw/

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #292
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
List it on Ebay for what you paid for mine, just be honest and state " needs simple thread repair in bleeder screw hole"
Some one will probably buy it at that price.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #293
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
or list it for WAAAYYY more and become famous in the ebay funnies thread!
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #294
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
or list it for WAAAYYY more and become famous in the ebay funnies thread!
HA!

I just put my check in the mail to Hucky's. Now I have to wait. Have I mentioned that I hate waiting?;) Some good news - I think Renner has some time to help me sort out my front end this evening:) If you haven't been watching, he's been going to GREAT LENGTHS to sort his own new front end out:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #295
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Benthic,

Just found your thread. Good reading. I too am rebuilding an airhead. Mostly cosmetic stuff still. Check out my thread and let's compare notes. Ha, we can go for a ride when I get my BMW running as I live in The OC... Actually we can go for a ride any time as I have 5 bikes to choose from (life is good).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054
http://www.photosbytink.com/bmw/

TINK
TINK - i've been following your thread as well:) I love seeing people do this kind of thing. Threads like yours definitely helped motivate me to do what I'm doing:)

Having a bike to ride while rebuilding one is the best way to go;) But I can't wait to get on THIS one;) With any luck mine will be road worthy by the end of August... then I stop riding my maintenance/worry free 2007 Honda;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #296
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
TINK - i've been following your thread as well:) I love seeing people do this kind of thing. Threads like yours definitely helped motivate me to do what I'm doing:)

Having a bike to ride while rebuilding one is the best way to go;) But I can't wait to get on THIS one;) With any luck mine will be road worthy by the end of August... then I stop riding my maintenance/worry free 2007 Honda;)
I MUST RIDE every day, or, like a shark, I die.
After reading (part of) your thread I went out to the garage and got to work. Thanks for the bump start.
Hope to meet up one day and compare beemers Not sure when mine will be back on the road, but sooner than later is my goal, hopefully before the first snow falls... Snow!? in Huntington Beach Hmmmm...

TINK
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #297
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Some fun progress tonight! Renner came by and helped me with the front end:)

First, we put the bearing races in the steering stem, and the bearing on the bottom clamp

Then bearing in the top

then we put the forks in and measured them but the were out of parallel pretty far, but we throw on the top clamp

THEN!

and

BOOM BABY! Thanks Toaster Tan!! we also did the glass test and they were very tolerable in that plane as well:) ((we had measured the forks before installation and they were pretty damn straight too))

Then we had some fun:)

head light brackets and clip-ons:)

Then Renner took off and left me to my own devices...

I felt i had to throw the control perches and headlight bucket on just to see it... now i wish I had put the tank back on for this picture... oh well, next time:)

Then I finished modifying the headlight bracket that holds the ignition

had to drill it out and make the shoulder bigger to accept the nut

Perfect!

Then I felt ambitious and tried to start putting the forks together. I think it was Mike V. that gave me the idea to use a soda can instead of ruining some feeler gauges

and I put the stops in the bottom, but had to stop. I need to do some reading on the fork inner bits to make sure I put it back together right.

and then I called it a night. But that is not all! Wirewrkr's caliper showed up today!

THANKS AGAIN! I'm almost back in business! I ordered SpeedBleeders today too, so hopefully all my brake parts will arrive close to the same time:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #298
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Tink too...

Wow Benthic, that looks familure... TINK

Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #299
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Wow Benthic, that looks familure...
Ha, yeah I saw yours this morning:) Sadly I've forgotten how to reassemble the fork internals. I thought I had taken better documentation fotos, but i'm a little shy in this area. With any luck Renner is going to stop by and show off his new front end and give me a few more pointers this afternoon...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #300
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Renner stopped by again and he helped me sort the fork internals and we measured the sag in his new suspension:)

I took a few more mock-up pics:) forks are assembled, but nothing is tightened down yet and I left the springs out. turn signals are just tied on for the moment...

With any luck i'll have a bunch more parts from the Beemer Shop tomorrow and will be able to make some real progress again:) fingers crossed!

Happy Friday everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com