infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
looking awesome.
+1,
good seeing those pics.
the seat excites me.

regarding the instrument binnacle bracket: I wonder whether that stiffening dimple at the OEM bend is a feature you'd like to add.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #347
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Good deal. A lot of time you won't find things amiss, but when you do it'll pay off bigtime. This is called attention to detail, and is the difference between a wrench and a parts-assembler.

And here is a glimpse at my latest obsession...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=42

...my bike is getting ready to hit it's 40th anniversary.
Bill! I certainly try to pay attention to detail - fingers crossed i've been successful;) 40 years! FANTASTIC! Congratulations! i love these old bikes:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
+1,
good seeing those pics.
the seat excites me.

regarding the instrument binnacle bracket: I wonder whether that stiffening dimple at the OEM bend is a feature you'd like to add.
Renner - i'll keep you posted on the seat progression of course:) I probably won't worry about the dimple, plus i'm not sure how i'd do it...

some progress:

I had to clean out all the old sealant on/in the engine case. the right jug was pretty well glued on. I found sealant in the cylinder hole, and the pushrod tube seal holes (the seals were COATED with sealant)

i'm finding some damaged surfaces:( I'm hoping everything still seals (hard to see the dings in the fotos)

Bill, I took some pics of the lifters. everything seems nice and smooth, the spot on the bottom of the lifter has no relief to it and is just a shiny spot. all 4 seem good:)

One down! and the piston is back on the left. By golly this engine will be back in the bike this weekend!!!

My new rear turn signals showed up today:)

I've got the battery on the charger and hope to figure out my run/turn/brake wiring this weekend:)

At lunch today I came across a group of bikers

A Harley, a Triumph, a BMW, and a Norton - there IS hope for world peace;)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #348
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,316
You're making good progress. The lifters look good and I wouldn't worry about the pushrod tube seal bores. I think that they hog them out with some sort milling tool, they are sometimes not smooth. Important thing is to lubricate the pushrod tube seals with oil or silicone grease on assembly so that they slide to and make a good seal.

Looking at all the parts it probably seems endless, but it'll go together soon enough. Got the wiring harness back in yet? That is always a fiddly job.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #349
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post

A Harley, a Triumph, a BMW, and a Norton - there IS hope for world peace;)
Just missing an Italian
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #350
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

a thing of beauty

My friend John stopped by at helped me get the engine in yesterday:)

I was extremely happy to get that done:) I also put the transmission back in, and the springs on the center stand. I'm having a hard time with the kickstand spring - that one is a pain:( I also started fiddling with my electrical and lights. I have head light, and rear running lights, but for some reason the turn signals don't work on the back or front, and I can't figure out how to make the brake actually work. sigh. electricity is definitely not my area of expertise...

ignore the few wire nuts, they were just easiest to use while i'm figuring this stuff out.

everything except the horn is connected to power though:) but I have to be careful - i accidentally hit the starter and the bike turned over! whoops:( I guess it means I put the wires back correctly;) I think i have to get and learn to use one of those meter thingys;) there may be a problem somewhere with power supply to the brake...

however, i CAN finish putting in the cables and button up the front end and all that jive this week at the least...

Hope everyone had a nice weekend:)
spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #351
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Wring can really be daunting. Work it one subcircuit at a time. If you are really unsure, temporarily wire a 5-10A fuse between the battery and main harness-- that will allow things to run for testing without letting The Magic Smoke escape. Or if yuou have a known short, wire a 12v bulb-- when the short is shorting, the bulb will light with no harm. One thing that helps is to make extra copies of the schematic and highlight subcircuits-- like "Headlight/Tailight and Turn Signals" or "Ignition, Charging and Starter". Helps make the Rat's Nest comprehensible (or less reprehensible).
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #352
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Got it in the mail today, THANKS!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #353
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

BLOWN FUSE! that's all it was. whew! My buddy Spinner came by tonight with a test light and multimeter and we puttered around being puzzled until he asked about the headlight. I popped the headlight off and Spinner immediately says, "oh, you've got a blown fuse". D'OH! I told you electricity wasn't my thing. But I learned a lot tonight!

We rigged up the old fuse

and voila! everything started to work:)

you of course can't see it in the photo, but the rear turn signals are also running lights, and brake lights, and there is a series of 5 flashes when the brake is engaged from all 3 lights. (ignore the wire nuts, they are temporary, and the different color turn signals was just to easily tell the left from right during testing).

I'm so happy it is a straight forward fix:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #354
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I picked up some new fuses and some hardware to start putting things together (fender, instrument mount):) I trimmed the aluminum fender I made down a bit so the stock seat will work with it. I'm anxious to get the bike running again, so I'm going to put the seat cowling and seat pan on hold for a bit... but they will be back! I'll post some pictures later tonight:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #355
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

no pictures yet as I was up far to late working on the bike, but i have a question:

How on earth are you SUPPOSED to get the felt ring on the clutch rod into the transmission case? I found it damn near impossible. Clymers says you "may" have to use a flat bladed screw driver to help guide the felt in, but it took me 3 screw drivers and most of an hour to get the damn thing in. AND i'm keeping my fingers crossed that is is ok in the tranny since you can't see anything once the rod is in...

so it's too late for me, but is there a trick to this?

Thanks all!
spencer

here is a facebook foto from midnight last night, but i'm not sure this will work...

www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #356
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

The Clutch Pushrod Felt Trick: wrap several turns of dental floss or dental tape around the pushrod felt to compress it. After the felt slips in, carefully pull the floss out.

Voila.

Bill Harris screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 08:19 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #357
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
The Clutch Pushrod Felt Trick: wrap several turns of dental floss ot dental tape around the pushrod felt to compress it. After the flet slips in, carefully pull the floss out.

Voila.
Brilliant. where were you last night?;) Thanks Bill!
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #358
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

We were around obsessing over our toys. You shoulda screamed...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #359
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

a few pics from earlier this week:
my new rotor bolts came from MAX BMW, for some reason they also sent me some m&m's. wierd, but i'm not complaining;)

Rotors on!

no pictures of my epic struggle with the felt ring, but the fruits of my labor is a installed tranny and connected shaft/swingarm!

I made some rubber mounts for my rear fender, and that reduction in width is what lets it play nice with the stock seat.

from the top

the fender allows the use of the battery box and tool tray:)

I popped the tank on for kicks, and rigged up my new bags similar to what I have in mind for a potential rear cowling

I was thinking yesterday about newer triumphs - perhaps you've seen how they can add a faux rear cowling by bolting it on over their pillon?

well, with the grab rail on the stock seat, I could do something similar! I need to mull it over some more...

Lots to do this weekend. my goal is riding the bike by sunday evening. I think it's do-able...

happy friday everyone!
spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #360
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
I was thinking yesterday about newer triumphs - perhaps you've seen how they can add a faux rear cowling by bolting it on over their pillon?

well, with the grab rail on the stock seat, I could do something similar! I need to mull it over some more...

Lots to do this weekend. my goal is riding the bike by sunday evening. I think it's do-able...
Hmmm, now that faux-cowling is a nifty idea. Your bike is a natural chick-magnet and it's be a shame to have to have to say "sorry, solo seat, no-can ride". Or, rather, not go riding with your SO. :)

It would be some work to fabricate a one-off version out of fiberglas using the "lost foam" method of sculpting. I approve.

Give some thought to what kind of seat you will eventually get-- Russell, Mayer, whatever. Many seats have a natural "break" or seam between the rider's part and the pillion's part, and you need to work that cowl into that break. And/or see where your butt sits when you're humpin' with the rear-sets and bar-backs. If you're happy with that seat, then go for it.