Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #361
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
a buddy of mine sent this to me awhile ago and i've always thought about it. the "faux-cowl" for the R seats. looks pretty nifty. mounts to the grab rail holes in the seat.

http://www.gftpstore.com/BMW-seat-co...BTA-BMWBTA.htm
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #362
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
a buddy of mine sent this to me awhile ago and i've always thought about it. the "faux-cowl" for the R seats. looks pretty nifty. mounts to the grab rail holes in the seat.

http://www.gftpstore.com/BMW-seat-co...BTA-BMWBTA.htm

well would you look at that. guess i'm not so clever afterall;)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #363
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,943
Great minds lie in the same gutter...
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #364
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Sweet sassy molassy.

It has been a crazy weekend. and because I'm just so gawd dam excited I'm going to give you the punch line first...

THE BIKE RUNS! and runs GREAT! I just got home from putting 25 miles on it running out to Mike's and Renner's houses. It was F*CKING AWESOME!

That's the meat, here's the potatos...:) (there's going to be a LOT of photos)

Friday night was a bit obsessive. I was in the garage till about 2:30am trying to button up as much as I could before Renner and my buddy John showed up on Saturday.

I got the carbs/airbox on

I took apart and cleaned the front fender

Fun note - the red circle is the original color of the bike underneath the fender cap nuts:)

I got the exhaust on

And put the rear-sets on - the clutch side was easy enough

but I'm having a problem with the brake lever hitting the exhaust. I need to contact Boxer Metal and see if he's got any bright ideas... other than that they are very nice:)

Saturday, I had quite the mini Tech Day going on! My friends Renner, John, and Spinner came over and helped me more than I could have hoped for. (my wife took many of the following fotos:) )

It was a flurry of activity in the garage yesterday! While I was cutting out mounting brackets for the rear turn signals and tail light, Renner was doing laps around the bike double checking my cable routing, adjusting my front brakes, adjusting the throttle and clutch cables, etc etc. He was an airhead powerhouse!

When in doubt, everyone needs to look at it at the same time;)

John isn't quite an Airhead, but he's very knowledgeable about autos and vehicles in general, and while he came over mostly to make fun of me all day;) He lent a welcome hand adjusting the valves and installing the new points.

Spinner was mostly mocking my "by-any-means-necessary" metal fabrication;) (i'm in the green shirt)

The first time the lift had been lowered in a LONG time:)

We finally put the springs and fork oil in.

right before the first fire up:)

Today I made the bike street legal by doing a final hook up of all the wires to the rear end:) Mike finally had some free time this weekend and stopped by to see the progress:)

I did have an embarassing mistake today. I was going to take my first ride on the bike this afternoon. wheeled the bike out, tried to start it up, and BLEH. It started, idled like crap for a minute and died. and didn't want to start again. Boy did that suck. I didn't feel like messing around so went to lunch with the wife. Came back, tried again and nothing. Put my friend John on the speaker phone, tried to start it and he immediately tells me he thinks it is a carburetor problem, or more specifically a fuel problem. SHIT. He tells me to check the easy stuff first, like the fuel line and what not, but that there may be crap stuck in the carbs. So, I think to myself that there is no way the fuel lines or petcocks are blocked, and resign myself to a carb cleaning, but i dutifully check the fuel line and petcocks, and you know what?

I WAS OUT OF GAS. HA! So dumb! In all the excitement yesterday we had not put very much gas in the bike, and it turns out that I just hit the reserve when I tried to start it initially today, so I flipped the petcocks to Reserve and BOOM I was riding around the neighborhood having the time of my life:)

What a great weekend! Obviously the bike isn't done, but I can enjoy it more now, and get used to the rear-sets and clip-ons, and get used to the dual disc brakes, etc...:)

I'll keep updating the thread, but thanks to everyone that posted and followed along:) This has been a great time for me:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #365
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

First question: who's 1602/2002 is that in the first photo? Those were classic cars.

Isn't it wonderful when a plan comes together? And the long-awaited (although it hasn't been that long) rebuild starts right up?

Son, NOW you're an Airhead

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #366
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Those are Renner's Bill. The guy is totally out of control, I mean that in a very good way.

Spencer - great job, the bike is very nice, looks and sounds great. You've made some impressive accomplishments. Yes, you are now a true airhead. Time to ride now.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #367
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Ah, Renner's. I remember seeing one of his old Bimmers before. My first and only ever NEW car was a 2002. After a year I refi'd it so I could finance the R60/5 (back then, motorbikes couldn't be used as collateral on a loan and I was too young and fresh to do a signature loan). I have a stash of 2002 parts that I've been lugging around for 35 years...

Anyways, Spencer, drive it around for a couple of days, then start double-checking everything. Bolts for tightness/torque. Routing (rubbing!!) of the wiring harnesses. The Rats's Nest in the headlight bucket. Your added-lighting. After about 600mi (1000km), retorque the head, adjust the valves. If you have points, check the gap and timing.

But do enjoy riding it!!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #368
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

thanks guys:) yeah, i'm enjoying it alright;)

:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #369
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Dang. You got a new fisheye lens? A fisheye with T/S?

Bike looks happy. Do the new front binders work to your liking?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #370
Mal S7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Bike looks great!
I wasn't sure about that frame colour .... but now its all assembled it really works.

Well done. Cheers
Mal
Mal S7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #371
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Dang. You got a new fisheye lens? A fisheye with T/S?

Bike looks happy. Do the new front binders work to your liking?
same fish-eye lens you complained about before Bill;) Binders = Brakes? if yes, then i'm getting used to them:) they definitely stop the wheel, but i haven't sorted out my rear brake yet and I miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal S7 View Post
Bike looks great!
I wasn't sure about that frame colour .... but now its all assembled it really works.

Well done. Cheers
Mal
Thanks Mal!

A few first observations on the first 50 miles:

my friend said I had some white smoke coming out of the right exhaust - that's oil right? maybe from the breather hose? did I possibly just put a little to much oil in and it is finding its way out?

the bike really stumbles on initial accelerations. from a stop through first, i can get quite a bit of popping in the heads and hard running. once i'm into second it isn't a problem at all - does this sound like settled debris blocking the carbs? and once the bike gets rolling the fuel flow gets sorted out and the problem goes away?

I'm not convinced I like the rear-sets/clip-ons the way i have them. i feel like i'm falling forward. I'm getting used to it, but I'm going to fiddle with the clip-ons to try to get the bars back towards me some more so i can take some weight off my hands.

I have a small fork oil leak at the right top cap. I'll sort that out when I mess with the clip-ons.

I have a small wiggle in the front end when i get up to 80mph - Renner thinks I need to tighten the steering bearings down, and Mike thinks it could also have something to do with the way the new tires follow grooves. Again, I'll try tightening things down when I mess with the front end.

Aside from those things, the bike is doing great! runs really well after that initial stumble. No other leaks! nothing out of the pushrod tube seals, the head gaskets, and the shelf under the tranny is squeaky clean! I guess I did a few things right;)

tonight I'll go for my longest ride, a whopping 30 miles;) I don't think i'll have time to address any of the above mentioned issues until thursday evening...

Later!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #372
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
I have a small fork oil leak at the right top cap.
we should check the sealing surfaces.
you have that Al. crush washer there which I believe BMW is now substituting for the original fiber washer, which would seal better, IMO.
If we can't find an obvious path for the oil getting past the seal then maybe some oil resistant RTV is needed to solve the problem. I don't like to torque those caps very much.
'hoping to hear from more experienced inmates here, particularly if the fiber sealing washer is still available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic
I have a small wiggle in the front end when i get up to 80mph - Renner thinks I need to tighten the steering bearings down, and Mike thinks it could also have something to do with the way the new tires follow grooves. Again, I'll try tightening things down when I mess with the front end.
one exacerbated by the other. Fairly certain those bearings are bedding-in and need a follow-up adjustment.

I assume we haven't yet checked sag.... as squishy as the front end felt the other day I'm thinking some preload is needed.

Have we checked ignition timing since the points were replaced?

Renner screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 01:23 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #373
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
same fish-eye lens you complained about before Bill ;)
No complaints-- you have your style, I have mine (which may tend to lean towards boring reportage or product photography). I was just

Quote:
A few first observations on the first 50 miles:

my friend said I had some white smoke coming out of the right exhaust - that's oil right? maybe from the breather hose? did I possibly just put a little to much oil in and it is finding its way out?
New rings, new top end, low miles-- the rings may need to seat and break in. They are already good on compression but may be less so on oil-control. Give it some miles, then look at it.

Quote:
the bike really stumbles on initial accelerations. from a stop through first, i can get quite a bit of popping in the heads and hard running. once i'm into second it isn't a problem at all - does this sound like settled debris blocking the carbs? and once the bike gets rolling the fuel flow gets sorted out and the problem goes away?
Double check the timing, double check the carb synch/adjustment. Check aslo for intake vacuum leaks.

Quote:
I'm not convinced I like the rear-sets/clip-ons the way i have them. i feel like i'm falling forward. I'm getting used to it, but I'm going to fiddle with the clip-ons to try to get the bars back towards me some more so i can take some weight off my hands.
Might need getting used to, might need adjustments. Might need to talk to someone with a similar setup. You're getting into one of these personal preference things here.

Quote:
I have a small fork oil leak at the right top cap. I'll sort that out when I mess with the clip-ons.

Aside from those things, the bike is doing great! runs really well after that initial stumble. No other leaks! nothing out of the pushrod tube seals, the head gaskets, and the shelf under the tranny is squeaky clean! I guess I did a few things right;)

tonight I'll go for my longest ride, a whopping 30 miles;) I don't think i'll have time to address any of the above mentioned issues until thursday evening...

Later!
Spencer
You, Renner, et al have a good grasp of the situation. You have everything new and things are going to need adjustments and settling-in. If nothing went wrong I'd worry that something was missed...

Have a good ride...
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #374
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
we should check the sealing surfaces...
I assume we haven't yet checked sag....
Have we checked ignition timing since the points were replaced?
I have some RTV ready to go if the inspection of the parts warrants it:) No we didn't check sag. No we didn't do timing. All stuff that is going on the list;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
No complaints-- you have your style, I have mine (which may tend to lean towards boring reportage or product photography). I was just

New rings, new top end, low miles-- the rings may need to seat and break in. They are already good on compression but may be less so on oil-control. Give it some miles, then look at it.

Double check the timing, double check the carb synch/adjustment. Check aslo for intake vacuum leaks.

You, Renner, et al have a good grasp of the situation. You have everything new and things are going to need adjustments and settling-in. If nothing went wrong I'd worry that something was missed...

Have a good ride...
Some good suggestions, thanks!
My evening ride got moved to Thursday, so i'm going to see what I can do tonight. I'll take some more fish-eye photos for you
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #375
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

gah.

boo!

So I ruined Renner's evening tonight. On top of a root canal, he spent a couple hours trying to set ignition timing, trying and failing ( ;) ), and now the bike won't start.

So when I got there, we checked the points, adjusted them a wee bit, and Renner put the timing light on and we were getting almost a top dead center reading instead of the mark we were supposed to get, indicating the timing was retarded. I think Renner's exact words were "you are really really retarded";) so we started messing with the contact plate and that's when things went down hill. we adjusted and adjusted the points and timing and the bike just won't start. we got a few very impressive backfires.

we pulled the plugs and they were pretty fouled, apparently from running retarded, and all the fuel in the cylinders and the backfires(?), but we kept using them. We did try a different battery thinking that mine was run down with all the trying... anyway, nothing worked.

Any bright ideas? the bike was obviously running before we started messing with it...
www.blindfishz.com