Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #376
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
So when I got there, we checked the points, adjusted them a wee bit...
actually, the first action was to check the existing ignition timing with a strobe.
I was pretty certain it couldn't be right as it had not been looked at since the points were replaced during the bike's reassembly.
We checked the timing he rode up on and at idle it was showing TDC=OT.

We then adjusted the points gap and would have adjusted timing but the bike wasn't inclined to start. I confirmed the points were clean.
We tried a number of things including removing the points plate to clean the crud out from underneath... managing to extract the frozen upper points plate retaining screw (after initially mangling it in the attempt to loosen that SHCS) .

After about 1.5 hrs I ran out of time.. dinner getting cold... so I gave Spencer a quick ride home.

Plugs are black with soot but not oily wet. May be fouled anyway so I'll try some clean plugs after work.

There are a number of post intial run maintenance items that need attention, which I plan to check & adjust while reviewing other possible causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic
... the bike was obviously running before we started messing with it...
running but poorly, missing and down on power. initially benthic wanted to rebuild the carburetors again but I asked that we look at other items first.

during one attempt to start he noticed sparking in the vicinity of the points. I looked and saw the ATU flyweights were intermittently arcing to the wire terminal clip which attaches to the points assembly.
Bent that out of the way; exorcised one gremlin.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #377
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,301
No ideas here. It sounds like you're doing everything "right".

This may be a classic case of "Coincidentally, and unbeknownst to us, the xxx also xxx'd at the same time..."

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #378
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
i'm glad Renner chimed in with some better descriptions. What would I do without this guy!? It's things like this, that don't have an easily diagnosed solution (like putting more gas in the tank!;) ) that I really stumble on. Even though I've disassembled and reassembled the bike, I have a LOT to learn. Hopefully this afternoon will hold some answers... as long as Renner doesn't get fed up and push my bike into traffic;)

on a more positive note - I fixed the rear brakes. I had installed the rear set slightly differently than Boxer Metal directed because I thought it gave me more swing of the brake lever between the switch and the swing arm, but I had done that before the exhaust went on. So flipping one piece, and installing per the instructions (imagine that) fixed the clearance issue:) I guess I'm not smarter than Chris afterall;)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #379
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
you know what you should do? a complete tear down of everything and then build it back up, might fix all your problems, heehee.
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #380
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
you know what you should do? a complete tear down of everything and then build it back up, might fix all your problems, heehee.
hardy har har

GOOD NEWS! I'm not sure what did it, but the bike is good again!

I got the Renner's yesterday afternoon, and he was just finishing up checking and adjusting the valves on the right side (after he had tightened the steering nuts, and checked some connections, and charged my battery, etc. etc... have i mentioned he's amazing?), so I finished up the left side valves (both sides were to loose). Then we changed the spark plugs. Renner had already set the points for static, so we tried starting the bike up. Nothing. CRAP. back into the points, and for kicks we put the OLD condensor back in. BOOM! started right up. So we're not 100% sure what was the correcting factor. It seems odd that the new condensor would be bad, so maybe it was a combination of lots of little things. If we had REALLY done it right, we would have changed only one thing at a time, but we didn't. oh well. I'm just happy the bike is running;) Now that it is home, I will probably put the new condenser back in just to see what happens. I guess if it still starts then it must have been the points and how we were setting everything.

the other good news is that I got NONE of that stumble I had previously mentioned. Now i only had 2 short rides after we got it running, but I'm hopeful that the timing/points fixed the problem:) I also noticed some extra power now that the timing is correct:)

i love this bike:) Tonight will be that 30mile ride i mentioned a few days ago. the only problem I anticipate is my lower back not being terribly happy with me;)

spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #381
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Might well be that there was a problem with the new condenser. Almost unheard of, but not unthinkable. And your problem was sounding like primary-igntion related so it's likely.

Was the condenser BMW-OEM?

But like I said, on a MAJOR rebuild like this, you're bound to have problems. And you'll probably have a couple more.

Quote:
Tonight will be that 30mile ride i mentioned a few days ago. the only problem I anticipate is my lower back not being terribly happy with me ;)
Once you get on the road you won't hardly notice the back...
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #382
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Happy Friday! I had a very successful ride up to Escondido last night (60miles round trip). Bike performed superbly:) If only I could remember to turn the petcocks on;) My only "problem" was that at speed (80mph) I noticed some wiggle that i believe was the new tires following the rain grooves of the 15's HOV lanes, because it doesn't do it on other freeways.

My re calibrated speedo seems to be fairly accurate at low speeds, but at high speeds it gets a little wavy so no way of knowing exactly how fast I was going, but I was hauling ass;) My tach seems to work pretty good up to 60-70mph, but after that it gets a lot wavy. oh well. lastly, based on the speedo and odometer, I got 34.9mpg last night, but my speeds were from 70-90mph. I'll need to do a more liesurely ride and see what i get:)

I think Mike and Renner are coming over tomorrow along with another Airhead to work on his bike - i have lots of space and the bike lift so we're doing a mini tech session at my house:) I'm hoping Renner will take my bike out for a ride and I can get an expert opinion on how it's handling/running (Mike is welcome to ride it too, but he'll probably hurt himself on the rear-sets;) )

Have a great weekend everyone!
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #383
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
might be out of the range by now, but be careful on them new tires for a little while!
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #384
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Happy Friday! I had a very successful ride up to Escondido last night (60miles round trip). Bike performed superbly:) If only I could remember to turn the petcocks on;) My only "problem" was that at speed (80mph) I noticed some wiggle that i believe was the new tires following the rain grooves of the 15's HOV lanes, because it doesn't do it on other freeways.

My re calibrated speedo seems to be fairly accurate at low speeds, but at high speeds it gets a little wavy so no way of knowing exactly how fast I was going, but I was hauling ass;) My tach seems to work pretty good up to 60-70mph, but after that it gets a lot wavy. oh well. lastly, based on the speedo and odometer, I got 34.9mpg last night, but my speeds were from 70-90mph. I'll need to do a more liesurely ride and see what i get:)

I think Mike and Renner are coming over tomorrow along with another Airhead to work on his bike - i have lots of space and the bike lift so we're doing a mini tech session at my house:) I'm hoping Renner will take my bike out for a ride and I can get an expert opinion on how it's handling/running (Mike is welcome to ride it too, but he'll probably hurt himself on the rear-sets;) )

Have a great weekend everyone!
Did you put on a new speedo cable when you had the gauges redone?

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #385
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
might be out of the range by now, but be careful on them new tires for a little while!
I've got about 150 miles on it since the rebuild start-up. and I am NOT aggressive in the curves, just the straights:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Did you put on a new speedo cable when you had the gauges redone?
I did not get a new speedo cable, maybe I should... but that wouldn't affect the tach, right?
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #386
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
(Mike is welcome to ride it too, but he'll probably hurt himself on the rear-sets;) )
I think I'll graciously decline. My new titanium knee joint is light years better than before with improved range of motion and no more pain. But anything over 95 flexion is a bit out of my comfort range. I'll stick to my old fart OEM fitted R100/7.

-Mike V.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #387
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

at least this one isn't my fault...

turns out no one is going to ride the bike tomorrow.

front tire failed on my way home from work.

I had just checked the tires last night for my ride. i don't really know what happened to the tire. I was having no problems at all until i got to my exit, all of a sudden the bike pulled and leaned me to the right, I looked down, saw a flat, started breaking with the rear tire, bike wobbled and dumped on my left side, I slid a bit, came off the bike, and i saw the bike do a flip over the curb.:(

I got pretty damn lucky. just road rash.

boy does this suck.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #388
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Dang.

Well. it's like she said: One minute, you're Cock-of-the-Walk; next minute, a Featherduster...

Condolences.

Bill Harris screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 04:03 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #389
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Spencer...trying to find the words. I'm glad you're not hurt too badly. This can happen to any of us, and it happens so quickly with no warning.

We'll get you back on the road again in time - your decision.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

-Mike V.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #390
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Oh shit!!! Man I am so sorry that happened to you and your ride. Fuck. After all that work! Man. Don't know what to say other than I feel for you. Keep us informed and wear more gear. Shit.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote