Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #391
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
ouch! serious bummer. sorry about that! glad you are still in one piece though. it's true you just never know what's gonna happen, so i gotta +1 on the more gear. heal up soon!
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #392
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
wear more gear.
the arm rash was THROUGH my very nice armored Fieldsheer jacket without tearing the jacket. I've actually been thinking a lot about the jacket (surprise surprise), Is this normal? I'm sure the jacket saved me from worse, but shouldn't the jacket have prevented the arm rash?
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #393
gfx
gfx

Oddometer: 40
Nooooo. This went from my favorite current thread to my worst nightmare. You put all your love and time into these old gems and the next day it's gone.

Glad you're OK and would probably get a different brand of jacket

R.I.P - 1988 BMW K75S "Red Rocket"
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #394
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
the arm rash was THROUGH my very nice armored Fieldsheer jacket without tearing the jacket. I've actually been thinking a lot about the jacket (surprise surprise), Is this normal? I'm sure the jacket saved me from worse, but shouldn't the jacket have prevented the arm rash?
I meant it in the most sisterly way, not a "told you so" shit way. Can't believe the jacket gave up like that. How fast do you think you were going when you hit pavement? God that's gonna sting in the morning. Was there elbow armour in the jacket?

edit Just went back and looked at the pictures of the bike.....I almost started to cry. I hope you get some cash from ins. and pick up where you left off.!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #395
Mal S7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Oh no, that really sucks! Sorry to hear it Benthic
Vicarious enjoyment of your project turns to a share in the horror.

Let me know how I can buy you a beer.

Solace

Mal
Mal S7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #396
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
dang, you'd think a jacket would hold up better than that. but who knows, maybe it saved your arm. i'd take a photo of you wearing the jacket and your arm and send it to fieldsheer and see what they think. you could probably at the very least get a free jacket out of it. unless they say you were "wearing it wrong" haha. i also didn't mean to sound like a told-you-so nanny, just trying to look out for a brother.

you could have a bonafide "airhead mechanic" take a look at your bike and price out everything you've done and labor costs for your insurance and you would most likely make more money than you put into it, and then get a good 12 more pages out of this thread. haha.
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #397
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,977
Sorry to hear and thanks to the miracle of the modern day computer actually see your latest problem. The bike is fixable or it's parted out. Don't make too much of a decision for a few days. The arm will heal. There's an Herb that greatly helps this kind of wound, it is called Comfrey. Can be found in a salve. Sometimes available locally at the Health Food Store or on the Interwebs.

From the look of that scrape and you say the jacket wasn't damaged it must be the jacket rode up on your arm. There's no way you got that scrape "through" the jacket and didn't damage the jacket.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #398
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067

heal up, and repair well. Like others I've followed along and this is really sad. I hope the damage isn't too bad.
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #399
sithndman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Aw, shit, that sucks! Well, you got it all fixed up once, just think of the fun of doing it again!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #400
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Thanks for the kind words everyone:) my insurance estimator will review the bike's condition next week and do their thing, and then I'll start fiddling with the bike and decide what to do. i HAVE been looking at parts and ideas online though since it hurts to move to much;)

my initial list of needed parts:

left valve cover
exhaust headers
mufflers
instrument cluster
seat pan
front rim
turn signals
controls
center stand

but that is just what i can see with no real investigation. we'll see what happens...

Not to belabor the jacket/gear issue, but it was/is a good jacket (Fieldsheer Corsair 2.0, with elbow/shoulder/back armor), and it did not ride up my arm past my elbow. The lesson to take away, is that you can still get injured with quality gear on. this was my second crash, and boy do i hope it was my last!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend:)
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #401
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Spencer, be sure to post that list in our flea market. I think a lot of people here could help you out with that stuff, and more importantly want to. I hope you're healing up without too much difficulty. Wondering if the tire bead broke, or the tube ate shit? Will you have the frame checked? How's the subframe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone:) my insurance estimator will review the bike's condition next week and do their thing, and then I'll start fiddling with the bike and decide what to do. i HAVE been looking at parts and ideas online though since it hurts to move to much;)

my initial list of needed parts:

left valve cover
exhaust headers
mufflers
instrument cluster
seat pan
front rim
turn signals
controls
center stand

but that is just what i can see with no real investigation. we'll see what happens...

Not to belabor the jacket/gear issue, but it was/is a good jacket (Fieldsheer Corsair 2.0, with elbow/shoulder/back armor), and it did not ride up my arm past my elbow. The lesson to take away, is that you can still get injured with quality gear on. this was my second crash, and boy do i hope it was my last!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend:)
Spencer
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #402
Captain Yesterday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Shit that sucks, I guess it have been worse, hope you heel up and don't get to discouraged
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #403
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Spencer, be sure to post that list in our flea market. I think a lot of people here could help you out with that stuff, and more importantly want to. I hope you're healing up without too much difficulty. Wondering if the tire bead broke, or the tube ate shit? Will you have the frame checked? How's the subframe?
the healing process in on-going;) i did a half day at work Tuesday because it got a little painful, and i started oozing, but it worked out ok because StateFarm called me and looked at the bike that afternoon. it was a nice guy, but he said because it's an old bike their estimating programs and such don't work and I'd have to take it to a shop for a real estimate. I had San Diego Motorcycle Towing haul the bike to Dave Cambell's BMW shop, and he's going to work up an estimate. He was certain they'd total the bike. Guess I'll have to wait and see what everyone says... Since a shop is inspecting the bike, I hope to get good answers to your questions about the frame - at minimum, the muffler supports are bent, but those can be hammered back out i believe.

As for the tire, the insurance guy and I looked at the tire, and could find no punctures or damage, which indicates to me that it was a tube failure. With no exterior tire damage, there's like 2 conclusions right? The shop that mounted the tire pinched the tube and it took 150 miles to work free and pop, or a defective tube? Are there other possibilities? I didn't do anything to the spokes or the tape on the inside of the rim, so I don't believe that was the problem. I will really inspect the rim and tube and tire when I get the bike back, but I doubt it will ever be clear what caused the failure, especially after towing the bike several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yesterday View Post
Shit that sucks, I guess it have been worse, hope you heel up and don't get to discouraged
I'm a little discouraged. I'm not certain what happens if the bike is "totaled". I still have the option of withdrawing the claim, but then i'm forfeiting any possible compensation. It's a weird system (designed to prevent fraud i suppose) - the shop has to include labor costs, and prices for brand new parts, and fixing EVERYTHING (even parts that are scratched but working). I told StateFarm that I would be doing the work myself so labor costs wouldn't be involved, and of course used parts are cheaper than new (i even already have spare fork tubes, and some other stuff), but the decision to total is based on the "official" estimate, and not necessarily on reality...

with any luck I'll know by next week what's going on.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #404
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,977
I always thought the deal with collecting insurance money from your company is that your rates then go up. But I never had the experience.

Tires can go bad from a poorly sealing valve. They can go bad from a slow leak. Tires don't only loose pressure fast they loose some pressure almost all the time. A slow leak is bad enough but sometimes the slow leak becomes the fast leak.

You didn't find a puncture in the exterior of the tire? Is often the case. The way to find punctures is to inflate the tire and immerse in water so you can look for bubbles. With tube tires do this to the tube. After the leak is found in the tube then the puncture in the tire can sometimes be found.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #405
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I always thought the deal with collecting insurance money from your company is that your rates then go up.
This is also a question i need to sort out. I was initially told that because it was a part failure, and not my fault, that my rates wouldn't go up, but I have also heard that it might also be tied to how much they pay out.
www.blindfishz.com