Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #406
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Ummm, you might want to have a chat with the owner of the shop that mounted the tires.
If you brought them the tires, you're SOL.
If you bought the tires and tubes from them and had them install them, there is whole different liability thing going on.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #407
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Ummm, you might want to have a chat with the owner of the shop that mounted the tires.
If you brought them the tires, you're SOL.
If you bought the tires and tubes from them and had them install them, there is whole different liability thing going on.
I had thought about that. I took them the tires, but it was their tube. regardless, it would be virtually impossible to prove anything. I probably won't go back there though.
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #408
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Spencer,

I would call or visit them (with shorts and short sleeve shirt) and let them know what happened. Do it diplomatically without blame or malice, just as an informative move to the owner. Just to see what he says and how he responds.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #409
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
Spencer,

I would call or visit them (with shorts and short sleeve shirt) and let them know what happened. Do it diplomatically without blame or malice, just as an informative move to the owner. Just to see what he says and how he responds.
Definetly!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #410
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Spencer,

ha, how would that go? "hi, a tire/tube that you mounted failed and almost killed me, and i just thought I'd stop by and see what you'd have to say" I may not say it with malice or blame, but i imagine the response would be interesting;) Maybe I should ask you to do it Mike;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #411
Mike V.
Adventurer

If I remember correctly, you left my house that day in a flurry to get them mounted just before they were closing on a Saturday. Did you watch them mount the tires? Were they in a hurry to get you out?

I've used them numerous times for tire-tube purchases and mounting. I'm curious to see how this pans out and his response before making any decisions.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #412
Mike V.
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
ha, how would that go? "hi, a tire/tube that you mounted failed and almost killed me, and i just thought I'd stop by and see what you'd have to say" I may not say it with malice or blame, but i imagine the response would be interesting;) Maybe I should ask you to do it Mike;)
Let me know when you want to go. Sometimes you have to ask the difficult questions. Ever dealt with contractors like I have?
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #413
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Did you watch them mount the tires?
I've used them numerous times for tire-tube purchases and mounting. I'm curious to see how this pans out and his response before making any decisions.
I use the same shop. AFAIK the owner is a stand-up honest sort of guy and has treated me well, but it's a shop employee running the tire changer.
IMO it would serve the local motorcycling community well if tire changing procedures were reviewed with the young mechanic, with an example of the consequences of poor technique nearby.
If it's not too late perhaps asking him to dismount the tire from the bent rim so the tube could be inspected at the shop where it was installed.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #414
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Tire pressure

First off, sorry about your crash, hope that you'll heal quickly so you can heal the bike. if the insurance calls it a total you may want to try and negotiate by offering to do the labor if they'll cover the parts. It's worked for me in the past and will avoid the salvage title issue.

Re the tire failing. I've pinched my share of tubes over 40 years of wrenching and none of them did not announce their leaking within minutes. Usually the soapy water would continue to bubble after inflating the tire.
I can't imagine one lasting 150 miles, if I read that distance correctly earlier in the post.
Did you verify that the tires were properly inflated after they were mounted ?
Until you get the tire of the rim and the tube inflated you won't really know what happened.
Make sure that you mark the postion of the tire on the rim so that you can get a relationship between the tube and tire after removal. It'll make it easier to find the puncture, if that is in fact what happened.

About the jacket not protecting you from rash, remember as you're going down the road, sliding on the jacket, the jacket moves around on your skin, as well as transfering heat from the friction. Long sleeve T shirts help in that case.
I've had leather jackets leave me with friction burns/rash, still better than scrubbing dirt and gravel out of an open wound, no matter how cute the nurse is that's doing it.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #415
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Did you watch them mount the tires? Were they in a hurry to get you out?
No, i didn't get to watch, but no, they didn't seem in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
...IMO it would serve the local motorcycling community well if tire changing procedures were reviewed with the young mechanic, with an example of the consequences of poor technique nearby.
If it's not too late perhaps asking him to dismount the tire from the bent rim so the tube could be inspected at the shop where it was installed.
it shouldn't be to late for anything - Dave is just supposed to do an estimate. the tire is still "intact". the problem is that after the flat, I crashed, AAA manhandled the bike onto a truck - pushing it on the flat/rim, I had to push the bike into my garage, the tow company had to manhandle/push the bike, Dave had to manhandle/push the bike. with the flat, all of that activity could easy cause any damage I might find upon inspection. I guess i shouldn't suspect the shop of an error without evidence, and that evidence is not likely to appear, so I don't want to roll all injured into the shop and slap a destroyed wheel on their counter with any explicit or inadvertent implication of blame. I'd have to go to every shop in San Diego with a Public Service Announcement to not be a dick;)

((However, I've been thinking, and for all the people that wear shorts and tshirts out riding, they would be well served with a reminder that you don't have to do anything wrong to crash! no one has to hit you, you don't have to be a crappy rider, you don't have to hit sand/gravel. You can just get a fast flat.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
First off, sorry about your crash, hope that you'll heal quickly so you can heal the bike. if the insurance calls it a total you may want to try and negotiate by offering to do the labor if they'll cover the parts. It's worked for me in the past and will avoid the salvage title issue.
yeah, i'm anxious to see what they'll let me do.

Quote:
Re the tire failing. I've pinched my share of tubes over 40 years of wrenching and none of them did not announce their leaking within minutes. Usually the soapy water would continue to bubble after inflating the tire.
I can't imagine one lasting 150 miles, if I read that distance correctly earlier in the post.
Did you verify that the tires were properly inflated after they were mounted ?
Until you get the tire of the rim and the tube inflated you won't really know what happened.
Make sure that you mark the postion of the tire on the rim so that you can get a relationship between the tube and tire after removal. It'll make it easier to find the puncture, if that is in fact what happened.
yes, the tire was properly inflated. and you're right, 150miles seems pretty far for a pinch to last. see my above comments about pushing the bike around - i don't know if the tire/tube relationship is still accurate, but i do plan on doing all you and diston suggest to try and find an answer.

Quote:
About the jacket not protecting you from rash, remember as you're going down the road, sliding on the jacket, the jacket moves around on your skin, as well as transfering heat from the friction. Long sleeve T shirts help in that case.
I've had leather jackets leave me with friction burns/rash, still better than scrubbing dirt and gravel out of an open wound, no matter how cute the nurse is that's doing it.
not that i'm glad you've gone down, but i'm glad to read your comment;) I'd been thinking that maybe my jacket was just to loose around the arm (allowing it to move) and a tighter jacket may have performed better. definitely better than having dirt and gravel in there! but i did my own scrubbing in the shower - i'm not ashamed to admit there were tears;)

spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #416
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Damn!

I am truly sorry - been following from the begining and you did inspire me to pull out an old project. I have been amazed at how quickly it moved and how good it really looked.

On the insurance - remember it is a negotiation. I have always been able to work with the adjusters to get what I wanted out of any settlement. If you want the bike to do it again - find out what the "totaled out" number is and settle for just shy of that - keep the title clean. Ask the dealership to share the estimate with you before you talk to the adjuster, and then ask what absolutely needs replaced and what you can fix. Even keeping the bike for parts might be the way to keep the ole' girl around.

Good luck and do not be pushed into a quick settlement! The last time I had to go through this was my brothers car and the insurance company sent out a drop dead gorgeous 25 year old who tried every trick in the book to get me to accept the settlement she wanted to take back to the boss. However - the low cut halter top leaving nothing to the imagination, the constant touching and the puppy dog eyes everytime we came to an impasse, she finally admitted to me that this was her specialty - dealing with old farts in the autobody business who don't want to roll over. We finally came to an agreement, or I would tell everyone I knew how to get her out on an estmate.
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #417
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Resolution with the insurance company! The bike is NOT totaled! In a surprise move, they deemed it "repairable". So now, as I understand it, they send me a check for the repair estimate, less my deductible, and I can go to town fixing the bike. Again. ;)

I need to get the bike towed back to my house tomorrow. Then i suppose I'll start taking parts off it. I really need a front rim/wheel. That will make it a roller again and much easier to work on. I'm going to post in the flea market and tap some of the people that have already told me they might have parts.

Thank you all for reading along and for all the support:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #418
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
I really need a front rim/wheel. That will make it a roller again and much easier to work on.

I have a spare you can borrow, no problem.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #419
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
So now, as I understand it, they send me a check for the repair estimate, less my deductible, and I can go to town fixing the bike. Again. ;)
sweeet. so does that include labor costs of what it would be if a shop did all the work? cuz that would be a bigass check. haha. no idea how any of that works.
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #420
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post

I have a spare you can borrow, no problem.
ha! you are the best:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
sweeet. so does that include labor costs of what it would be if a shop did all the work? cuz that would be a bigass check. haha. no idea how any of that works.
yes, it includes everything on the estimate;) it is not an inconsiderable check
www.blindfishz.com