User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #421
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Sweeeet!!!

I am so glad to hear that! Now you get to do everything you wanted -oh you already did that!
Good luck and I will be watching!
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #422
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic
Resolution with the insurance company! The bike is NOT totaled! In a surprise move, they deemed it "repairable".
Good! These old tractors are tough. Just like Timex.

Quote:
Then i suppose I'll start taking parts off it.
Whoa. How are you doing? Healing up fine? Road Rash takes time, but no "surprise" aches and pains?

Quote:
I'm going to post in the flea market and...
And then there is IBMWR Marketplace: http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/

FleaBay, your risk. :(

And you've got great local Beemer connections.

First order of business: carefully break that front tire down for an "autopsy". It may not tell us anything now, but it'd be nice to have peace of mind. My take is that there was a small, slow leak that let just enough air out to let the handling go squirrelly the next day. Pinched tubes will go flat in four minutes, but a slow leak will sneak up on you. On a "new" tire, I check the pressure frequently and before each ride for a couple of days.

Keep us filled in. And do take LOTSA pictures, ya hear?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #423
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Whoa. How are you doing? Healing up fine? Road Rash takes time, but no "surprise" aches and pains?
I'm doing pretty good. i'm wearing long sleeves today;)

*the following might be gross for some*

the first weekend was really pretty painful. couldn't sleep because of pain and the wounds were pretty raw. The week saw the wounds scabbing up, and now i've just got to wait. the scabs break and ooze a bit with to much motion, but I could straighten my arm for the first time on Sunday, and like I said, i'm healed enough that I can wear long sleeves with out my arm gluing itself to the fabric. My arm is tired from holding a constant bend for more than a week, but the worst is definitely over. The only other pain is some soreness in my tail bone, but that is another spot that just takes a long time to heal. I really lucked out that my injuries were not worse.

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #424
ked
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
just checked in to see how things were progressing, and then i saw your pics! i'm sure glad to hear that you're ok, just keep an eye out for infection.

have you started a plan for the next bike, or is a re-build possible?

ked
Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #425
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

small update...

Renner lent me a wheel and I got the bike back home and on the lift a few days ago. tonight I finally had some time and started pulling some parts off the bike.

I had some difficulty getting the seat off since it was mashed so badly, but everything else is coming right off like normal.

there's dirt INside the valve cover. not much, but now I'm worried that dirt went down the pushrod tubes. SHOULD I be worried?

I'm not sure how serious this is. the hole for the valve cover stud is all crapped up. Does this need to be replaced, or can I just try to get it welded so no chunks want to break off?

my parallelogram centerstand;) the TABS on the frame actually look ok. I want to get a second set of eyes over hear to confirm or challenge my assessment... (coughRenner cough Mike cough)

this is where the muffler buckled when the bike stood up on it. the header has some interesting new bends where it enters the jug, but i forgot to take a picture.

A few other concerns - my brake master cylinder is completely empty. looks like it leaked out the end where the hinged arm pushes that bullet in. there was a bit of corrosion inside the MC when I rebuilt it - could it be that it just leaked over the last week? or something from the crash caused it to leak? No brake fluid damage to the powdercoat that i can see, but the paint on the MC is toast.

A friend gave me some old headers and some mufflers today. I'm not sure if I'll keep them, but at the very least the parts let me make sure everything is fitting during the rebuild.

Tomorrow is local tech day here in San Diego. I'm going to go sans beemer and socialize, maybe pick up a few parts and advice...:) It's BALLS HOT here, so I'm actually kind of glad to be driving over in shorts instead of riding over in full gear;)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend:)
Spencer

www.blindfishz.com

benthic screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 11:17 PM Reason: cool video for kicks
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #426
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Glad you and the bike are recovering. Quality time is essential.

Valve cover: take it by the tech session and see what the concensus is. I'd suppose welding (or JB Welding) it would do. Ditto on the 6mm clearance hole on the head-- that will tend to weep or seep, so I'd opt to clean it with spray brake cleaner, goop in some JB Weld and gently with a drift and light hammer tap the deformed opening to. How is the 8mm center stud?

Dirt in the pushrod tube? Look into the PRT with a thin penlight (may have to remove the pushrod) and see is there is dirt.

A frame shop or someone with tools could unpallelogram the centerstand.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #427
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
glad to see you in motion once again. this will prove to be the best thread ever, haha.

i hope you aren't throwing away you mangled bits, some of us scavengers might be interested in picking off any meat left on them!
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #428
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Valve cover: take it by the tech session and see what the consensus is. I'd suppose welding (or JB Welding) it would do.
Maybe JB weld repair and keep it for an on-board tool-tray/spare valve cover to swap-in next time you grind through one... you know... from dragging jugs in the corners and stuff.
Have those p-nut covers you purchased shown up yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Ditto on the 6mm clearance hole on the head-- that will tend to weep or seep, so I'd opt to clean it with spray brake cleaner, goop in some JB Weld and gently with a drift and light hammer tap the deformed opening to..
I'm with Bill here.
JB weld in the crack and try tapping the errant element back into position without having that 'loose tooth' fall out completely.
Once it's dry we can check/restore the flatness on that mating surface and you should be good to go. No sense in removing the head for that small blemish... if you were considering that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13
glad to see you in motion once again. this will prove to be the best longest thread ever, haha.
haha.
sorry... couldn't resist.
see you at tech.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #429
Bluespinner
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi Benthic,
I have been following your enthusiastic chronicling of this rebuild from across the Pacific as I have also just put my '79 R80/7 back on the road after 25 years. I hadn't check in on your thread for a few days, so just read about this disaster. First, I'm very relieved you haven't sustained more serious damage, though it hurts to even look at the photos of those grazes. Ouch. Second, I admire the way you are so positive about getting it back on the road again. If it were me I would probably have dumped the remains in the back of the garage and locked it up, though anyone who has been following your thread (and there seems to be quite a following) can already see that you are not that guy. Third, looking at your posts it is clear how much you have learned about airheads and mechanicals in general in such a short time. This is some serious dedication and willingness to learn, and you have chalked up quite a bit of credibility in my book (for what little this is worth ). I think you've moved beyond the "newbie" tag on your subject line.
This accident is undoubtedly a blow to your confidence, so you deserve a bit of time to take it all in before moving on. As a fellow R80/7 rider just getting (back) into the scene, I look forward to seeing how you step up to this. In the meantime, I hope you heal well and thanks for taking the time and effort to let others follow the ups and downs of your airhead story so far.

cheers,
Bluespinner
Bluespinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #430
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
No sense in removing the head for that small blemish... if you were considering that.
If he has to, eventually he can. But this is a low-effort attempt at heading off a minor annoyance. He has a very full plate ahead getting all the major damage taken care of. He can obsess and nitpick later if he is so inclined but the task at hand is to get the bike on the road again.

He'll feel better about every little scratch and nick now since the new is definitely wore off...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #431
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
to seal that 6mm nut, see if there's an old school VW parts house around. Buy a handfull of the self sealing oil pump cover nuts for the early (pre 68) VW oil pump covers. They have a plastic seal built right in and they seal up aginst the hole nicely.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #432
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
wow. im glad youre alright, that bike looks bad.

ive got a friend (thevulture) with a 83 r80 being parted out, i don't know all of whats left, but i know hes still got the whole rolling chassis.

if ya need anything, let him know, he'll make ya a good price.

now ya can do what ya wanted to with the bike on someone else's dime, so long as they dont salvage it, its a rad deal. (minus the roadrash)
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #433
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
i hope you aren't throwing away you mangled bits, some of us scavengers might be interested in picking off any meat left on them!
What mangled bits are you interested in? Once the bike was "finished" I had intended to list all the parts I wasn't using - who knows when that might be now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespinner View Post
...As a fellow R80/7 rider just getting (back) into the scene, I look forward to seeing how you step up to this. In the meantime, I hope you heal well and thanks for taking the time and effort to let others follow the ups and downs of your airhead story so far.
Thanks for your kind words:) It is very encouraging how supportive everyone has been:)

Quote:
He'll feel better about every little scratch and nick now since the new is definitely wore off...
I don't think i ever feel better about nicks and scratches;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
to seal that 6mm nut, see if there's an old school VW parts house around. Buy a handfull of the self sealing oil pump cover nuts for the early (pre 68) VW oil pump covers. They have a plastic seal built right in and they seal up aginst the hole nicely.
Great tip, i'll see what I can find! I know a VW enthusiast...

In update news. I now have 2 complete sets of exhausts and headers to play with - given to me for free by extremely generous Airheads. However, I think wirewrkr and I are coming to a deal on some EPCO's he's had for a while...:) (i'll give back the free exhuast parts I don't use) I also got a free centerstand that is in great condition except it is missing a foot tang. I will probably use this stand instead of the out of square one;)

Renner and I went in on an order to Siebenrock to take advantage of the 10% off so we should have some parts coming - including some new peanut valve covers, so I'm going to muddle through until those arrive. I might be able to borrow a cover just for engine diagnostics...

After much deliberation, and seeing 2 tired instrument clusters for sale at the tech day for $300 each, I decided to just buy an Acewell 2853 from Dime City Cycles. I got the BMW speedo cable as well so it should be an easy install.

I don't think i'm done with the insurance company yet. On Friday they tried to send another estimator out, but I think it was due to confusion on their end, not in an attempt to change the decision. And I just faxed in receipts for my helmet (covered because it is required by law that I wear one) and towing and the estimate itself. I might as well see what I can get...

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #434
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Insurance update:
yesterday the insurance co. told me that they need to verify the shop's estimate is correct and valid. This is silly because the original estimator (and the woman on the phone i spoke with) told me that the insurance co. has no expertise in motorcylces, that is why I had to take the bike to a shop. So I got the shop estimate. Now the insurance co., who says they have no motorcycle experience, needs to validate the shop's estimate. How they will validate it I have no idea. Then, I made an "appointment" with the new estimator. my "appointment" is Wednesday, sometime between 12pm and 4pm - not much of an appointment. The estimator is supposed to call me for a more specific time Wednesday morning. gah. Hopefully i'm close to done with them.

WHEELS and SPOKES!
I received a generous offer from an ADV inmate for a complete hub/rim for me to get my bike rolling again, however, I'm wondering if I should take this as an opportunity to upgrade the rim and spokes... I don't know anything about rim brands, but looks like I can get a Sun Rim from Buchanan's for $261, and stainless spokes for $98. IF I have Buchanan lace and true the wheel i add another $100... I've never laced a wheel before, but I can be up for a challenge.

Thoughts? Comments? Alternatives?

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #435
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
if your'e going to do one, you might as well do both, and give wheel works in garden grove a shout, they do good work, are an hour and a half closer to ya than buchannans, and can get all the same shit.

i would use excel wheels over sun, but thats just because i like the shouldered look of the excels.

might could find a set of snowflake wheels a lot cheaper than just spoking one wheel, but then you lose the vintage look of spoke wheels.

just my $.02
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote