Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #451
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
is it also possible the 21" tube... having the smaller cross-sectional diameter and so not properly filling the area inside the tire.. would distend at 30+psi?

That hole is perfectly aligned with where the tube is joined. Is that a scarf joint?

I visited Spencer this afternoon and handled the tube.
Following along that joint near the opening, the rubber appeared thinner there when pulled taught, as though the joint was stretched past it's yield point.

Renner screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 08:28 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #452
Captain Yesterday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
WOW that's just fu*k up. That is beyond incompetence. Maybe you should talk to a lawyer about filing a negligence suit against that shop. Because that was down right irresponsible. I could see them putting a wrong size 19inch tube in there but a 21 wow that's just messed up.
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #453
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Just a, hopefully final, update on the tire/failure.

I went to the shop that mounted my tire yesterday (Renner was kind enough to go with me) and spoke to the owner. I had the tire, tube and rim with me, and Renner had printed out the crash photos for me. I told him what happened and showed him the tube and tire, and he was apologetic and did not try to deny anything. He was astounded that a 21" tube was put in, and while he said that it is not uncommon to find incorrect tubes installed, he admitted there was no excuse for his shop to have done it. He also agreed that the scratches in the rim + the small tube led to the flat. He brought his helper out - the guy that actually mounted my tire - and I explained it all to him as well. I believe they both understood how serious the mistake had been, and I hope that the owner talked to his helper even more after we left and hopefully no one else will have to deal with this - at least from that shop;) And hopefully the owner appreciates that he really dodged a bullet liability-wise.

I'm both less upset and more upset though. It is great that the owner recognized the problem and accepted fault, but upsetting that they made the mistake at all - they had the correct tube in stock, they just didn't put it in whether through laziness or obliviousness, and they didn't check the rim tape. Simple stuff, you know?

The owner offered to do whatever he could to help me rebuild, and while a nice offer, there isn't much he can do for me. While I'm sure they won't make this mistake again soon, I don't believe I'll be going back to them.

I hope all this craziness is behind me now, and I can get back to fixing the bike, again;)

Renner has loaned me a "known straight" subframe that I'm going to put on and see what lines up. I'm hoping against hope that the swing arm is not bent. My "new" rim and SS spokes and nipples arrived from BoxerMetal as well, so it is time to get some stuff done;)

Lastly! Anyone have an opinion on where to buy NEW headers?

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #454
Renner
infamous wrench

I'm kicking myself for not asking the tire monkey whether he'd buy you a new tube.
They should have handed you one.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #455
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,637
You handled it well, but I would have been a bit more hard-nosed about it:

That is fine that he was astounded and apologetic and that he dodged the bullet on this one. Did he offer to give you a replacment tube and refund what he charged you for the defective work? Is he planning to review his tickets and try to get all of the tire mountings his helper has done back to the shop and inspect the work done? If not, I'd suspect a credibility problem with his sincerity.

If I had a helper who installed a seriously wrong size tube when the correct tube was in stock I'd suggest a career change for him.

But you did OK...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #456
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Spencer,

Thanks for the post-visit report. Well done. I'm glad you visited him - he (they) needed to know and I'm sharing both Bill and Renner's opinion. I'm still not satisfied, for you. I'll keep my personal opinions to myself, except to say this should have never happened. One of Bill's sentences is painfully prophetic and exposing in regards to shop/owner credibility.

I admire your calm. Yes, time to move on I suppose.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #457
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Weeeelllll, Renner popped over this morning and we took a look at the swing arm. looks like it IS twisted.

the axle seems straight still, and we put a square on the axle and tried to line it up with the shaft.

I'm seriously considering trying to get every last dime from insurance, parting out the bike, and starting with another bike... maybe a R90/6 or something... I don't want to be chasing gremlins on this bike forever.

The good news was that I figured out that stealth switch on the left control perch. I found a correct wire diagram and modified the switch interior so i could get to the wires and mess around..

voila! all the lights work again. if I end up keeping the bike, i'm going to put a new switch in there:)

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #458
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Reverend Chuck gave me a spare swing arm to try out and BOOM BABY! Axle slid in like butter, shocks lined up, and angels sang a chorus! I'm back in business! I'll polish this turd yet!;)

With a functional rear end, I'm feeling optimistic again:) Can't tell you how relieved I am the swingarm replacement solved the rear end problems and I feel ready to tackle the rest of the bike's issues

Friday is almost upon us! Have a great weekend everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #459
Renner
infamous wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post

Awesome

We need pics of that CB550
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #460
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

a little progress.

got my Acewell wires figured out, and have been trying to decide how to mount it.

typical center mounting on the top clamp

I kind of like it out here on the handlebar, but it interferes with the clutch lever...

THIS! this is where i like it. i have a test bracket in there but it is pretty rough. I'll keep working on it.

I have a new set of SS headers coming and they should be here this week:) I discovered tonight that i know shit about polishing. I need to figure it out so I can clean up my new rim before attempting to lace a new wheel...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #461
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

overdue

Hi all,

I've had a lot going on, but little activity on the bike for a while now. I kept at it, and I have a semi-polished rim to show for my efforts

It's not done yet, and won't be perfect, but it doesn't look to bad. I'm not sanding out all the scratches as some are fairly deep, but when I'm done it should look good with the new spokes:) Speaking of spokes, I hope to lace this wheel up this weekend! After that, I'll polish the rear rim and lace it up, then I'm sending both wheels off to Woody's for rim straightening and wheel truing.

I also have the new SS headers on. They don't fit super great, which was a surprise as I've head that Keihan's are excellent. I'm hoping it is installer error;) I'll keep fiddling. I need to get some new bolts for the muffler mounts, and then the exhaust is in business:) (i also had to remove the kickstand, i'm wondering if it was bent in the crash too. very possible...)

I still haven't cleaned up the wiring for the speedo yet... maybe next week.

I finally got the order from Siebenrock that Renner and I put in last month! 30 days it took them and when the box arrived it was beat to hell. miraculously, everything was in the box and undamaged. I now have new peanut valve covers to put on the bike:) I'm serioulsy considering powder coating the "new" swingarm, subframe, centerstand, and peanuts a different color from the rest of the frame. I might stop by the powdercoater today for some color samples...

lastly, with some luck, i might start making my rear cowling/seat pan this weekend. but that depends on a few things...

I guess that's it. Happy Friday everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #462
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

an update.

hello friends! I finally have something to report.

the SS headers installed

i cleaned up the front hub and sanded the ribs shiny

first 20 spokes!

all 40:)

i tell you what, lacing was super easy. incredibly so. with the rim and hub holes angled it is nigh impossible to do it wrong. All the ready I had done made me nervous about messing up the spoke pattern, but i've come to the conclusion that you'd have to REALLY not pay attention to screw this up. Truing on the other hand, i'm sure is less easy. I'm sending my wheels out to Woody's when I'm done lacing....

got the rear hub cleaned up, but didn't sand the ribs yet.

peanuts from Seibenrock

I hope to get the rear hub and rim finished and ready for lacing this week, but i've got a lot going on... I'm hoping I can get the new frame pieces ready for powder coat and send those and the wheels out next week... we'll see how much I get done...

the progress is bittersweet this time around. I can't help but think of wirewrkr when i look at my new mufflers, or my brake calipers, etc. I had really wanted to ride this bike up to Joshua Tree when it was done. But i guess all any of us can hope for is to be remembered and thought of fondly by those we interact with.

If you haven't already, stop reading advrider and go vote!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #463
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,637
Done been to vote, doing my 'Net browse and then heading out for groceries, pharmacy and lunch. Then back home to putter with the bike (new 6-1/2 gallon non-Toaster tank needs to be fitted, etc).

Good progress. Great can-do spirit.

--Bill
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #464
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

a quick update, but sadly no fotos this time.

I got both rims polished up and the wheels laced up finally and got them sent out to Woody's Wheel Works for rim straightening and wheel truing. They tell me the wheels will be done by Friday of this week, so i should get them back early next week:)

In the meantime, I started buttoning up the electrical wires for the new Acewell speedo. I picked up a soldering gun and taught myself how to solder with some youtube help and pointers from a few friends. My joints are pretty, but they are strong;) I ran out of the connectors I'm using to attach the turn signals, but i hope to pick up some more on the way home one night this week and finish all the wiring soon.

Renner is going to lend me a small /5 tank (i think that's what it is anyway) that I can use as a mold for a fiberglass rear cowling, and while I'm a bit intimidated by fiberglass, i think I can do it...

That's about it. Still lots to do, but nearing the "end".

I hope everyone had a great holiday!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #465
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I finished up the front end wiring last night. all the signals and blinking lights work:) I will need to start it up and ride it to make sure EVERYTHING is working - like the gen light, and tach, etc... But i'm hopeful...

Renner lent me that smallish tank last night, I got it home and realized that it is far to small. I don't know what I was thinking. the loop on the subframe is actually very wide compared to the gas tank. off the top of my head I remember the loop being 9" across, and the rear end of MY tank is like 8-1/2, and Renner's smaller tank is even, well, smaller;) So good news Renner! I won't be getting fiberglass resin all over your tank;)

My new plan is the glass over MY tank, and just stretch the bottom out that last 1/2 inch... we'll see how it goes...

I believe i'm free all weekend so i hope to get a lot done...

happy friday everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com