User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #511
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Hi all!

I got my new tail light sorted out this past weekend.
I had ordered some LEDs from Custom Dynamics to replace the 3 lights I was using for run/brake/turn, and I fab'd up some new brackets. It's better than it was, but it has made me decide that I want to make a new rear cowling...

the LEDs:

installed:

bracketry:

lit up:

the color is a bit off in the pic, but the center LEDs are dual intensity red, and the outer circle is amber LEDs, but with the red lenses, they are harder to see. the modules came with clear lenses as well and I'm going to switch them out this weekend. the tips of the license plate bolts also light up red when I hit the brakes and the LED clusters are bright as hell:)

as I mentioned, i've convinced myself to re-do the seat pan and cowling. I want the cowling to be taller and the seat shorter. with the new design I'm planning on mounting the tail lights right on the cowling... I think I've also convinced myself to paint the tank, fender and eventual cowling a nice baby blue... but i'm still thinking about that...

Later!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #512
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,045
Those LED modules are the same design as my all-amber front turnsignal boards. Very good design and should be bulletproof-reliable. Uber-bright, they left purple squiggles on my retinas when I bench-tested them. The clear lenses should work better for the amber turnsignals and when the lights (brake, tail and turn) are off the entire cluster will fade back to aluminum camo.

Good thoughts on the Ver 2.0 seat cowling. The 1.0 wasn't a waste, you learned a lot. The rear clusters integrated into the cowl is good, and p'haps you can integrate some tiedown points for carryables.

--Bill
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #513
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,683
That bike.....

....will be an ongoing project, forever. I love that you're constantly looking at it and trying to get it just right. I feel your pain. Thanks for the updates
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #514
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
....will be an ongoing project, forever. I love that you're constantly looking at it and trying to get it just right. I feel your pain. Thanks for the updates
yeah, it's a labor of love/hate;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #515
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

:) Freud* would have a field day with us ;)

*along with Pavlov, Skinner and the whole crew... :o

--Bill
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #516
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

i made a few changes this week/end:)

i had to get rid of the blue. It was a failed paint scheme, and I had just enough orange paint left. the paint is still temporary but i like it better already:) I also changed the mirrors out, to round convex mirrors. The mirrors are pretty cheap, but work:)

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Spencer

(PS, i've been working on my CB550 too, got the carbs cleaned and reinstalled, and rode it around the neighborhood today, still needs work, but i don't know local experts in hondas like I do Renner and Mike V. :( )
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #517
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

I like the NoBlue tailpiece. Sometimes you need to experiment and sometimes ideas don't work out. :)

I like the self portrait in the last photo. ;)

Nothing as exciting here. Monday is going to be a rainy old day so I'll stay in and replace a worn rear tire. :|

--Bill
Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #518
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
The LEDs look great. Think I'll do something similar this next season just to light up the rear so idiots may take notice.

Do you still have the stock handlebars, or did they get.smashed? I need a set for my R80/7. Picked up a set, but they're too tall. Put a strain on the throttle cables. Could get longer cables, but the stock bars are fine by me.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #519
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I'm still around! and I've been making some progress;)

if you recall, i wanted to make a new rear cowling:

I had hopes I might be able to save the mold, but alas, i had to destroy it to get my piece off

I added a "nose" section to the peice so the front of it rests on the frame under the gas tank

I added indents for the LED tail lights. They will move off the aluminum bracket I made to the cowling itself.

Bondo time!

I threw some primer on to see the areas I need to sand more

Seat pan time! With the cowling nearing completion, I laid some more glass to make the seatpan i'll put foam on.

foam!

I used a combo of carpet padding, and the foam that was making my previous temporary seat.

I still need to trim the foam a bit and add a final layer of 1/2" foam to smooth it all out, but I sat on it and it was pretty comfortable! And the firmness of the carpet padding lifts me up a bit which i hope will reduce strain on my knees. I was/am a small bit concerned about raising my center of gravity, but I believe the height is not much different from stock so it shouldn't be an issue.

I've been working on a deadline for the seat pan - This week! My mom is actually in town, and she is going to help/teach me some sewing (i knew how to use the sewing machine about 18 years ago, but really need a refresher). She and I went out and bought the vinyl, thread, muslin, and the 1/2" foam on Friday, so this week we should have a seat cover done! I'm so excited!

I hope everyone is well!
Spencer

PS - I discovered that my brake master cylinder is pissing fluid all over the place:( I hope to get that sorted this week too. I don't want to ride it until I get that fixed...

PPS - i've been horrible responding to people about selling parts, and I apologize. I hope if anyone is still interested that they'll bear with me until things calm down a bit.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #520
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
PS - I discovered that my brake master cylinder is pissing fluid all over the place..
let me know if you need good-used master cylinder parts, I have some.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #521
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Looks good. I am doubly impressed that just a short while ago you were a fiberglas noob. You've picked up that art very well. I see a "tool/storage" tray in the frontside of the seatpan-- I guess that it is accessible by lifting the seat cushion? Looks like the rear aerodynamic hump could be major storage-- any plans to be able to access that?

I like the method of using the tank as a form for the mold-- that promotes a certain sense of symmetry. At first glance, the rear aero hump looks too big, but we are accustomed to seeing smaller ones. I'd imagine that the hump looks in proportion with a rider attached. The built-in rear lights look sanitary.

Raining all day, still planning to replace that rear tire. (yeah, I know...)

--Bill

ps- hydraulics are a maintenance items. One reason I like cables. ;)

pps-ya gots ta have yer priorities.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #522
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
let me know if you need good-used master cylinder parts, I have some.
Thanks boss, I'll let you know:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Looks good. I am doubly impressed that just a short while ago you were a fiberglas noob. You've picked up that art very well. I see a "tool/storage" tray in the frontside of the seatpan-- I guess that it is accessible by lifting the seat cushion? Looks like the rear aerodynamic hump could be major storage-- any plans to be able to access that?

I like the method of using the tank as a form for the mold-- that promotes a certain sense of symmetry. At first glance, the rear aero hump looks too big, but we are accustomed to seeing smaller ones. I'd imagine that the hump looks in proportion with a rider attached. The built-in rear lights look sanitary.

Raining all day, still planning to replace that rear tire. (yeah, I know...)
--Bill
ps- hydraulics are a maintenance items. One reason I like cables. ;)
pps-ya gots ta have yer priorities.
yes, the tool storage is accessible by lifting the seat, which will be held on by the shape of the cowling and some velcro, and my ass;) No real plans to make the cowling into additional storage. right now there is a small compartment for wire connections on top of the rear fender, so not as much storage is available as you might think. I do plan on cutting a hole in the cowling to access the wires conveniently.

I struggled with the size of the cowling. Renner even came over and offered his $.02 before I formed everything up. It might not be exactly right, but i do like it better than the previous version already...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #523
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

The more I look at it, the more I like the looks of it. We're on the cutting (bleeding??) edge, and aren't cookie-cutter'd.

--Bill
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #524
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
The more I look at it, the more I like the looks of it. We're on the cutting (bleeding??) edge, and aren't cookie-cutter'd.

--Bill
definitely BLEEDING. fiberglass can be sharp!;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #525
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,683
Wow!!! Looking sharp, Spencer! Maybe I can commison you to build me a seat
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote