ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
RossM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
PCH from Oxnard to WA

I have the opportunity to make a 5 - 6 day ride from Phoenix, AZ all the way up to Seattle, WA. I have a 2012 DL650 with top and side cases. I just git the Omni-Cruise to save some wrist cranking. I'm sure I'll be bringing a rain suit, sleeping bag, tent, and a few other need to bring items. I'll be on the military's dime so hotels are an option. Just beginning the final planning, Projected trip dates are 29 Apr - 3 May (flexable) Any advice or tips welcome. I'll be packing the bike for camping this weekend to help get better idea of what I may need.

RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
from oxnard take the 33 to 58 then head to the coast....
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
from oxnard take the 33 to 58 then head to the coast....
Dang, I used to live in Santa Barbara, but that was before I got into motorcycles. If I'd only known about that road back then, I might have started earlier!
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,318
It's good to know us tax payers get to fund your ride. Enjoy your free ride.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,534
Hey Ross....I see you were in Kandahar...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE....As a tax payer...I hope you get whatever you want.....

Gonna be a great ride...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
Have done that trip via RV a couple of times, it's quite scenic and avoids the high pass of the Siskious. Weather should be pretty good that time of year, but rain chance higher the further north you go. We moved from there in '92, not going back due to all the rain. Nice place to visit though. My dream is to ride north on Vancouver Island and take the BC Ferry from the tip at Port Hardy to Prince Rupert and ride back through BC.

From north of LA, Hwy 1 is an enjoyable ride on a motorbike. Stop in Cambria, Big Sur, Monterey. The aquarium in Monterey is worth a couple of hour tour. Neat little town. Around the bay to Santa Cruz, go thru SF, over the GG bridge.

Once you get north of SF, stop in Mendocino and Redwood forests. Lots to see and do, very beautiful.

The Oregon coast is a series of small coastal towns, very enjoyable but can be a little slow going. There are some good attractions and stops to make along the way. Take your time and enjoy it. Stop along the way for some fresh seafood. We enjoyed the Maritime Museum in Astoria, just before you reach the OR/WA border.

From there you have to decide if you're going up the WA coast or head directly toward Seattle. If you go further up the coast you can cut over toward Olympia or Tacoma, or go all the way up and around and take the ferry from Bremerton, Kingston, or Port Townsend. Very rainy up that way, but if you hit good weather take it in and enjoy it. If not, just head for Seattle and get out of the rain.

How are you getting back?
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Off Limits
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Hey Ross....I see you were in Kandahar...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE....As a tax payer...I hope you get whatever you want.....

Gonna be a great ride...
That was a close one. Afghanistan was really close to storming our beaches with their awesome navy. Sorry but I do not support our foreign policy of using our military to force another country to use our way of government.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
That was a close one. Afghanistan was really close to storming our beaches with their awesome navy. Sorry but I do not support our foreign policy of using our military to force another country to use our way of government.
Not a political thread. Keep it positive or don't post.

Until you man up and stand watch for this great country, you don't understand.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch

seabee1 screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:15 PM
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
condor-machinist
el dirt hombre

Oddometer: 96
I have nothing better to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
The latest and greatest from team troll riders.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Off Limits
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Not a political thread. Keep it positive or don't post.

Until you man up and stand watch for this great country, you don't understand.
Being thankful our country wasn't invaded is pretty positive don't you agree? And if a foreign country storms our beaches, ill be standing watch with my guns taking out mutha fuckers. Unfortunately, the ones we need to watch out for are already here.

Off Limits screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:28 PM
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Off Limits
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor-machinist View Post
The latest and greatest from team troll riders.
Don't be a hater. It's not my fault you choose not to post freely what you feel or think. The dude was in Afghanistan, evolving that country so that the great corporations of America are allowed to sell Big Macs and coca cola there. I'm sure he saw some shit and now he gets to ride. You guys have me all wrong, I'm pro team America!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
I hope the op has a great trip.

In my experience, it can be very wet in the pnw. Bring gore tex and hotel every couple of nights to be able to dry everything out. Other than that, have a great time. I love the coast road!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Hey Ross,

I live near Oxnard. Let me know when you come through, I can probably ride up a day with you..

Oh, and since I assume you are not our Commander in Chief (OhBummer) and are following orders,,, I thank you for your service to our country and helping to keep the bad guys from getting anywhere near our shores...

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
Hey Ross,

I live near Oxnard. Let me know when you come through, I can probably ride up a day with you..

Oh, and since I assume you are not our Commander in Chief (OhBummer) and are following orders,,, I thank you for your service to our country and helping to keep the bad guys from getting anywhere near our shores...

What he said, if you need a place to sleep, wrench, whatever, while near Ventura hit me up.

Usal beach would be a great off the beaten path campspot in heart of the best of the best of PCH IMHO, no problem on your bike as long as it's relatively dry, and ADVenture if it's wet. You could pick up some delicious local grass fed meat to cook on Redwood coals at camp at Roundmans Smokhouse in Ft. Bragg. Or just stop at Eggheads diner for the best local seafood and egg dishes around, also in downtown Ft. Bragg. The drive through tree in Leggett with obligatory photo is a must too. ;)
Personally, if on limited time I would blast up the 101 and be past SF in a half day, then spend more time in NorCal where there's far less people and traffic with stunning scenery and ridiculously perfect MC roads. The redwoods are calling, take the parkway scenic routes when you're up there... As browneye mentioned, in Oregon if you want to stay off the interstate it can be pretty slow going.
Have a great trip and thank you for your service!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 11:59 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,393
Sounds like a great ride, been wanting to do this one for a while now. I am right up the road from Lost Rider in Camarillo.

Thanks for your service, safe travels!