Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
I love these kinds of threads.

Any idea what a US equivalent to Hammerite is? I have used hammer tone paint with good success, it is pretty tough. I am an avid reader of a couple British publications including Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and Hammerite paint comes up quite often.

Good luck with the DR, we await the rest...
Hammerite is worldwide name I reckon.. Some might call it "hammer paint" or " metal paint" mainly because the finish looks like someone hammered it.

Thanks, I'm writing next update just after this post!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Big update!

Today I hurried to the post office after work! I had a package waiting for me

What we could find inside the package was:
1 x clutch steel-disc set DR650 SP41-45 40.00 EUR
1 x swingarms protection swingarm SP41- SP45 38.65 EUR
1 x clutch cover gasket SP41- SP45 8.95 EUR
1 x clutch-spring-set DR 650 10.00 EUR
1 x Pro Grip gaiters 28.50 EUR
Color:black

And it was sent from www.dr-big-shop.de

I pulled out my bicycle and rode straight to the garage, it's about 3-4 km away at my fathers house. I have no garage at my current apartment, but I'm happy to have a parking spot for my motorcycle just outside my window. Feels safe to always see it, when it's not deassembled at my father's that is.

Next up was mounting the new swingarm protection. Fitted perfectly! Now the only thing that remains on the swingarm is some stickers and the chain guard, I'm just not in a mood for cleaning it today.

After the swingarm was done I started working on the forks. The new gaitors look awesome! Finally I have replaced them blue ones.. I just hated them from the beginning! The fork legs were cleaned and polished. They have some scratches but I'm letting them by in this process.. Some wounds must remain! It's after all a 19 year old warrior

Later I sanded and polished my bash guard. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it's beaten to hell! I think that one only has about one season left in it. It's my fault for thinking the bike is a trials/enduro bike, but hey, don't put a bash guard on a bike if it's not going to get used, right?!

You can see it below on this little group shot of finished parts.

The garage it's not that big and if anyone wonders how it looks I've got some pictures for you :

Entrance view.

Working bench view.

Looks pretty ghetto huh? I guess it is. But it is a perfect place for me to work on my bike. You might have also noticed my dad's Honda Dominator. He crashed it a year or two ago but I think he's done a great job repairing it.

The pile of finished stuff is growing!

The standing pegs are getting some Hammerite on 'em! The picture is after second layer, so the result got better than pictured!

The last thing I did before stealing my dad's car to go home, I stuffed my bicycle in the trunk because it was too damn cold outside, was to sand down the kicker. I've never liked it black because the paint was worn in too many places. And since it's a pretty crucial part that is used every time you ride the bike, I would not repaint it just to be worn again. No. I'm going for the iron look. When done I clear coated it so that it wont rust and loose it's shine!

This is probably my best friend at the moment!

It does one hell of a work!

Next up will probably be the steering crown so that the forks are finished. Then I'm going to do the clutch Can't wait to open up the engine. I'm also going to buy a lot of new stuff till then. See you in the next update!

Martin
Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I lub resto threads
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Today I bought some new stuff. It was supposed to be a lot more.. But things did not match with each other and it resulted in me saving some cash, at least for now. What I bought, though, are small but necessary parts!

First off:

With some modification these will be my new brake line guides on the swing arm! Black and made of polyester which equals no rust as well as being good looking.

A new chain roller:

I will try to put up a picture of the old one, it will tell you how bad I need a new one.

Some nice bicycle grips with really soft rubber, will wear out fast but they do have an awesome grip!

New oil plug, old one broke. Not sure if it will fit but it was cheap.

And some basic grease, for greasing up things, obviously!

No work in the garage today, perhaps there will be some tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #35
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

ADVrider back up!

Since yesterday was the big protest day against PIPA/SOPA and ADVrider and pretty much every site I visit was blocked, I managed to get a few hours in the garage.

The recently mentioned brake line guides:

Turned into this after a few seconds with the angle grinder:

To be fitted like this on the swingarm:

And here's all four of them mounted:

Old versus new ones:

Now it's time for the heatshield to get some new thermal paint. Firstly I removed the old paint and degreased it:

Then it was painted and left to dry for an hour. When dry it was put in the oven at home for some hardening:

I'm not sure if I'm going to do the same with the exhaust pipe or not.. I'm thinking of putting a heat bandage on it instead, any opinions?

Here's the pegs completed:

And the passenger pegs almost completed:

They are done now but I don't have a picture of them finished.

I also went to the local shop and bought a black sticker arch, something like 100x35cm. It will be cut to fit the sidepanel. I have no picture of it though.

I have ordered a huge sticker arch with Suzuki decals as well, hopefully I'll receive it some time soon because then I can complete the swingarm.

MartinPetren screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 12:50 AM
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #36
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Kränga däck

Received some stickers yesterday so I could finally finish the swingarm! By the way, it looks so much better in real life than on these pictures I'll show you.

Then it was time to change the clutch plates and springs. Engine laying down waiting for surgery

Bolts were attached to this card board box to remember which bolt sat where.

Clutch case removed.

I don't have any pics of actual replacement of the clutch plates and so on, got quite messy with the oil and didn't want to touch my phone.
But here's old versus new clutch springs, new one's are 10% harder so hopefully I wont have a slippy clutch anymore.

Engine was put together and bolted up. I was going to do an entire cleaning of it but we received some snow this weekend and it was too cold. So I moved on to changing tires! Something that always keeps you warm, and pissed off.

Front tire off. Took me about 10 minutes without stumbling upon any problems, at this moment I was satisfied.

Then we came to this bastard. I HATE changing rear tyres, especially this one. The bed is so hard to break and I'm bending my tools while removing it.

After about 30 minutes I was so pissed off I started sanding, degreasing and then painting my exhaust pipe instead. Picture after first layer:

When waiting for the exhaust pipe to dry I did the remaining work on the wheels. A while later we had this:

The garage has turned into some kind of tire shop and my little brother thought it was a good idea to put his bmx in there. I for sure wont help him getting it out in the spring.

Here's a picture of the pipe reassembled with previously done parts.

Sneak peak for the next update:

Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Creativity

So what can you do with a plain black sticker sheet and some scissors? I decided to find out.

First of all I'd like to say that ever since my black stickers were torn off when power washing the bike some time ago, I have not been found of the side panels. I my opinion it's all or nothing, in this case I'd like all.

So my first object to be facing some new decals would be the side panels. You might remember how they looked in yesterdays post:

And this is how they are today:

They do look so much better with some black on them.

I did both sides and then switched over to something more aesthetically.

I began with this:

Which turned out to this:

One done, many to come.

And the outcome was a classical Dakar logo Tuareg, took me about an hour of sketching and cutting. I know it's possible to buy them here and on ebay but I figured it was more fun to do it yourself.

Here's a group photo of the plastics in their current state:

I also added a Suzuki logo on the fender, a small touch to it all.

Small aesthetically differences from yesterday , though, more pleasant for your eyes!

I hope you enjoy!

MartinPetren screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 12:42 PM
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,995
Looks good.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #39
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPetren View Post
Since yesterday was the big protest day against PIPA/SOPA and ADVrider and pretty much every site I visit was blocked, I managed to get a few hours in the garage.

Here's the pegs completed:

Looks good. I got some IMS propegs to fit. They are wider and nicer than the stockers. Very sharp too.

My members page for my slight restoration. The bike was always garaged and covered in armorall or WD40, so not much wear and tear. Would love to do a full teardown and paint the frame, and LineX the areas prone to rubbing or rust.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Not much new to write about. Sent an email to some co-workers today asking if there's any interest in ordering new tires and there was.

So eventually my, along with their, tires will be ordered this week! Just can't decide whether to order a pair of TKC 80's or MITAS E-09 Dakar. Any opinions?

Choice of tires is difficult. Since I aim to ride 60% gravel and 40% street this year, my choice is not getting easier. If I would ride less gravel I'd definitely choose MITAS E-07, but as said, more gravel this year!

I spent some time in the workshop today. On today's agenda was cleaning the wheels and repair the airbox. One wheel was all I managed to clean and I'm not even that satisfied with the results. It's an old bike and some of the parts just don't have it's original shine to it, no matter what you do with it. Corrosion/Oxidation is a huge part of the reason.

The airbox cover was unfortunately broken when removed from the frame and it was time to repair it. I started doing some aluminum replacement parts and was just about to drill some holes for it to be mounted on the airbox, when it came to my mind that I could to it much easier.

Some simple cable ties and four small holes would do the job as good as the original design. To demonstrate it I will try to upload some pictures for you tomorrow, I did not take any today.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions on the tire choice! Such as wear, sizes and performance on previously said tires. It would be very much appreciated!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #41
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
Looks good. I got some IMS propegs to fit. They are wider and nicer than the stockers. Very sharp too.

My members page for my slight restoration. The bike was always garaged and covered in armorall or WD40, so not much wear and tear. Would love to do a full teardown and paint the frame, and LineX the areas prone to rubbing or rust.
Those look really nice! How much did you pay for them? Might be worth looking into! It can hurt in the feet sometimes when landing a relatively large jump, a lot of pressure on that small surface on the stock ones.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I got the Chinese version for 30 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290639218806

But I did have to grind a small amount off of the inside for them to sit level.
rowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #43
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
I got the Chinese version for 30 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290639218806

But I did have to grind a small amount off of the inside for them to sit level.
Those looks good as well. Too bad it's a PITA to import from China! Will end up paying like 50USD with shipping and customs fees. I will go to my local shop and see if they have some kind of equivalent.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #44
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPetren View Post
Those looks good as well. Too bad it's a PITA to import from China! Will end up paying like 50USD with shipping and customs fees. I will go to my local shop and see if they have some kind of equivalent.
I think they were $90. Something around that price point.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #45
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer

This small piece is what pretty much holds up the slip-on.

It can be seen on the very first picture in this thread and it doesn't look good. So I'm going to make it less visible, in other words, give it a new design and paint it black so that it'll blend in with the frame!

Here is it with a new shape and sanded down.

I putted some thermal paint on it and an hour later it was in the oven for hardening!

In my latest update I mentioned that I used a pair of cable ties for repairing some broken tabs on the airbox. Here's a picture of that!
http://martinpetren.blogg.se/images/..._186231004.jpg
And here's the somewhat cleaned airbox itself!

Before leaving the garage I opened up the slip-on! I'm going to remove the dB-killer inside and put some more stuffing in it. Hopefully I get a louder yet darker sound by doing so.

And this is what I'm working on at the moment!

I'm going to do a belt of it to put across the saddle, like it is originally:

There's a bunch of other things that occured today but I didn't take enough pictures and I'm hungry so I don't have fortitude to write about it.

Still need some valid opinions regarding tires