ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #46
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Austria "Mostviertel"
Oddometer: 489
first of all, great skills on the trials bike! looks awesome!

about the tires, i would go with the tkc. they are great on the road and as long as you´re not riding in wet/muddy/soft terrain, they will work good offroad. i don´t know the mital, but i liked the tkc´s. only tire i liked more for off/onroad was the dunlop 908rr, but thats only available in 18" rear.
but for that amount of road use, the tkc is great. i almost couldn´t believe how easy it handeld onroad. after all, riding on the road is more dangerous (higher speed, hard tarmac, insane cagers) and i want a tire i can trust there.

just my 2 cents
__________________
92' Suzuki DR 800, 00' Buell M2
07' Husky TE 450, 95´ Ducati 916, 92´Ducati 900SS

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #47
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
first of all, great skills on the trials bike! looks awesome!

about the tires, i would go with the tkc. they are great on the road and as long as you´re not riding in wet/muddy/soft terrain, they will work good offroad. i don´t know the mital, but i liked the tkc´s. only tire i liked more for off/onroad was the dunlop 908rr, but thats only available in 18" rear.
but for that amount of road use, the tkc is great. i almost couldn´t believe how easy it handeld onroad. after all, riding on the road is more dangerous (higher speed, hard tarmac, insane cagers) and i want a tire i can trust there.

just my 2 cents
Thank you, have been riding trials for quite a few years now.

I did some research on both tires and it seems like the TKC's do perform better on tarmac, as you've said. As I'm going to commute to work on the bike as well there will be some street riding, thanks for giving me such a valid point about trusting the tires on the road. Had pretty much only focused on the gravel/offroad abilities and almost forgot about these damn cagers.. If received a dollar for each time I almost got hit on my way to work by a cager, I'd be rich by now!
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #48
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
TKC80's ordered.

Just ordered a set of TKC's and I also just found out that my frame is finished!

Picking up the frame either today or tomorrow and will start re-assembling the bike on Sunday! I'm also having a bunch of pictures from the "On two wheels" fair here in Gothenburg to post! A lot of nice bikes was presented, along with Marc Comas 450RR from last year. Hope to get them up asap.

The way I see things the bike might be ready for some adventures in mid-February!

__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #49
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Slow movement

The project is slowly moving ahead! I have received the frame and it is looking really nice. I'll start with showing the seat project though.

This is what I started with:

After some de-assembling of the metal around the belt:

After years of having metal around it made it look very rough. So I wrapped it around a tool and treated it with some steam, as well as boiling an egg meantime

Turned out pretty good:

Next up was the part I'm not so good at, sewing..


Made it halfway thru when I broke the machine's needle. Will buy a new one today and finish it.

Back in the garage I polished the snail cams, what a difference!


And now for the part we've all waited for

Frame is now powder coated with semi-gloss industrial paint. For that extra toughness required by an offroad bike!

Some parts fitted:


Frame serial number re-fitted on the frame! I love using pop rivet's.


More to write about tomorrow, today's trials training day so there will be no time for the motorcycle. But I will pick up a new bar at the training, a friend is bringing a Renthal bar I've bought by him.

__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Pride

This is an update about pride. I'm proud to be Swedish. Nowadays prejudice is a huge problem in Sweden, you are simply not allowed to love your country. If you wear a Swedish flag you'll most definitely be called racist and this is so wrong.

I love my country for many reasons. One reason is that we actually care about our citizens, born or immigrant, no matter what. But then there are those jerk-off's that call themselves "the Pure Breed" who live by a Nazi ideology and hate everything not born in Sweden. Those idiots are the one's that pours, figuratively, the worst kind of soil on our beautiful flag.

I'm not like them. If I ever encounter any kind of prejudice wearing this flag, I'll proudly clarify the reason of it being there.





I my honest opinion, I think the whole idea of having the belt across the seat is very good looking! I'm really satisfied with the result.

Today I also received my new-to-me handlebar! It's a Renthal handlebar and it is looking very promising!




I also received a new album on the mail today. Lillasyster's, an upcoming Swedish band, new album called "3". If you are into hard rock / metal look it up! It might be something for you even though they sing in Swedish.



__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #51
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Engine is mounted!

Today I have spent 5 hours in the garage. I started off by cleaning the engine a bit, didn't want it to be all oily when I put it in the frame. Then I wrapped some textile around exposed parts of the frame because I don't want to scratch it already!


I mounted the forks to help stabilize the process of getting the engine in. Received some help by my father to put it in place, it all worked out smoothly.


When the engine was in place the electrics was next. Ignition was put to place early.


And then the airbox.


Then the speedo.


And last but not least, the complete wiring harness.


I need a bike stand that doesn't interfere with the oil plug assy on the bottom of the engine.. It simply doesn't stand good on it, wobbly and all. Fortunately I think the wheels could be fitted tomorrow, then I don't have to worry about the bike being stranded on the floor ;)

The tires seem to have left Malmö now, on their way from Germany, and should arrive at work either tomorrow or the day after.

Much happening now
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #52
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Tires has arrived!

Received the tires today :) Both front and rear seem to be really wide, which I like.

TKC 80 90/90-21
TKC 80 130/80-17



They are awesome. Can't wait to try them!

__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #53
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer
 
PHILinFRANCE's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: S W France my little bit of paradise
Oddometer: 1,116
Looking good Martin , you'll like the TKCs only fault is 7000 kms out of the back max
Phil
__________________
I,M HERE FOR A GOOD TIME NOT ALONG TIME
PHILinFRANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #54
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Looking good Martin , you'll like the TKCs only fault is 7000 kms out of the back max
Phil
Thanks,

7000kms is quite enough I reckon. If they're what I expect them to be, I'll order new ones, or if not I'll try the Mitas E-09.

__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #55
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer
 
PHILinFRANCE's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: S W France my little bit of paradise
Oddometer: 1,116
Yep i liked them and did a fair bit of rough stuff in Morocco with them , they're down to 2mm now and i've got an E-O9 waiting to go on , i'll let you know
Phil
__________________
I,M HERE FOR A GOOD TIME NOT ALONG TIME
PHILinFRANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #56
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Yep i liked them and did a fair bit of rough stuff in Morocco with them , they're down to 2mm now and i've got an E-O9 waiting to go on , i'll let you know
Phil
Thanks, appreciate it! Exactly the response I was looking for.
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #57
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys
 
SBG's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rehoboth MA
Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPetren View Post
Thanks, appreciate it! Exactly the response I was looking for.
Just want to say, the build looks excellent. I don't know if it's too late to toss this out there, but "trim brite" makes a thick clear vinyl, which can be trimmed to shape. This is great for putting on high wear areas where items will come into contact with all that fresh paint on the frame.
Justa suggestion so that new paint gets a longer life and prevent the inevitable of rust eventually forming in high contact areas.
__________________
1990 DR650S bikepics.com page
http://www.bikepics.com/members/sbg1/
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #58
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer
 
divimon2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Champlain, Vermont
Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPetren View Post
This is an update about pride. I'm proud to be Swedish. Nowadays prejudice is a huge problem in Sweden, you are simply not allowed to love your country. If you wear a Swedish flag you'll most definitely be called racist and this is so wrong.

I love my country for many reasons. One reason is that we actually care about our citizens, born or immigrant, no matter what. But then there are those jerk-off's that call themselves "the Pure Breed" who live by a Nazi ideology and hate everything not born in Sweden. Those idiots are the one's that pours, figuratively, the worst kind of soil on our beautiful flag.

I'm not like them. If I ever encounter any kind of prejudice wearing this flag, I'll proudly clarify the reason of it being there.


Good attitude my man. Fear is a waste of good time.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #59
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
Just want to say, the build looks excellent. I don't know if it's too late to toss this out there, but "trim brite" makes a thick clear vinyl, which can be trimmed to shape. This is great for putting on high wear areas where items will come into contact with all that fresh paint on the frame.
Justa suggestion so that new paint gets a longer life and prevent the inevitable of rust eventually forming in high contact areas.
I have actually stumbled upon something like that, I might look into buying a sheet and wrap around the frame where the boots touch it. And perhaps I could use it on the side panels as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
Good attitude my man. Fear is a waste of good time.
That's brilliant. It might be going on the bike!
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #60
MartinPetren OP
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 324
Rubber

We've got rubber!

Mounted the tires on the rims today! TKC's were very easy to fit unlike the old M6006's. I also fitted the handlebar! Hopefully it wold hold up without the supporting bar. I figured it was made to hold up for MX-riders and I'm not jumping like them, so it should hold without it.


Rear wheel fitted:

The observant kind might have noticed the rear brake cylinder is in the wheel house in this picture but that has been sorted out now.

Front wheel fitted:

You see that the bash guard is BARELY touching the bike stand? Well that did not end up well... Just a few scratches on the bar, though, nothing else.

Electrics


The way I left it tonight


Now when it feels like a bike again I really, really, want to ride it!

If that damn snow could just melt away..
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014