Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
apt13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
one more question regarding springs before i look into the BMW heavy duty ones. i got these from huckys. it says they are the "original length made for BMW" at 555mm. and it didn't include any spacers. are these still "too short" and not recommended?

Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
one more question regarding springs before i look into the BMW heavy duty ones. i got these from huckys. it says they are the "original length made for BMW" at 555mm. and it didn't include any spacers. are these still "too short" and not recommended?

Hard to say what he is selling. Look at the specs in the Haynes or Clymer books.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
apt13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

looks like both clymers and haynes say a "free spring" length of 567mm. which i guess means 555mm is a tad bit short. hmm. is this why people use the pvc spacers? to add that extra 12mm (half inch or so)?

also my apologies for taking 2 pages to figure out things i think were answered early on in the first page. haha. sometimes i need it hammered into my skull.
Airhead Tshirts!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,321
Because the Progressive springs are the wrong wire diameter you need to make the PVC spacers longer than 12mm, probably more like and 1"-1.5"'s long.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
apt13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hey guys, in the middle of the fork rebuild. some odds and ends encountered, but nothing crucial. just a lot of cleaning out the gunk. quick question, i seem to be missing a little part on both forks. i was about to go down to my local bmw guy and ask about it and a couple other things, but thought i'd ask here while i'm here as well.

the fiche and clymers/haynes diagrams say there is a "washer" in between the metal "ring" and damper piston. the haynes book says it is only on "later models." it didn't come in my "rebuild kit" full of new rubber bits.

is this something that is a necessity? crucial for my bike (a '78)? MaxBMW has them for like 6 bucks each. and its hard to get myself to order 2 tiny 6 dollar washers. what you guys think? why are they there and why don't the "earlier" bikes have them?

Airhead Tshirts!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
I do not think my forks have that washer. I will look at my pictures. Going to take the damper rods out tomorrow, I'll have a look and get back with you. You may get a definitive answer before then.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
apt13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

nathan at boxerworks had really never seen the washer before. i looked through some of his parts bins at other damper rods and didn't see any washers. i assume i'd be fine without them? i'll wait a bit and see if there are any answers from you guys before i put everything back together though. not in a huge hurry. thanks for looking!
Airhead Tshirts!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I highly recommend wearing some tall waders while reading those articles. Snobum has some often repeated fundamental misunderstandings on the subject.
Must say, your inability to understand Snobum does not equate into his misunderstanding of anything Airhead. His hands on experience is far beyond any sometimes mechanic. Just sayin'!!!!!!!!!!!!
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
the fiche and clymers/haynes diagrams say there is a "washer" in between the metal "ring" and damper piston. the haynes book says it is only on "later models." it didn't come in my "rebuild kit" full of new rubber bits.

is this something that is a necessity? crucial for my bike (a '78)?
If that is the rubber washer, it was a disaster. They always warp and screw up the function. Just remove them if you got them. Better without.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Must say, your inability to understand Snobum does not equate into his misunderstanding of anything Airhead. His hands on experience is far beyond any sometimes mechanic. Just sayin'!!!!!!!!!!!!
His misunderstanding of anything airhead? It wouldn't be so funny if you weren't serious.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
apt13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Never thought I'd have my very own thread where people argue about snobum. I guess I've truly made it!
Airhead Tshirts!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #27
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,164
You did it! Congratulations?

Just like it has been discussed in other threads recently by myself and others. The ridiculousness of portraying that website and some others as being infallible should be mentioned more often. It seems as if some are actually starting to believe it. On the other hand, I have always said that it is a good place for some info. Every time I read that site and a few others I feel for the people that don't have the experience to tell the difference between good info and bad. It is mostly good but man that still leaves a lot of room for bad advise. Where do those guys find the time for the shear volume?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Most non OEM springs are generic, they fit a wide variety of bikes, hence the length difference. Easiest way to do it is to stick all the guts in the fork. With the fork fully extended measure the distance from the top of the spring to the top of the fork. Then measure the fork cap, take the difference and cut a PVC spacer to that length. Try it with very little preload, just enough to keep the spring from flopping around. Be sure and set the rear sag too. Then hop on it (use a zip tie on the upper fork tube and measure the distance it moves) and measure the sag.

You'll need to look up the numbers for total fork travel, and go from there. Generally 20 to 35% of total travel. I'd hold off on looking for another set of springs until you find out if these work for you. There is no "silver bullet" when it comes to suspension. It's a personal thing, and experimenting can get rather expensive. Try to work with what you have. If you can't get it to feel right and it's in the sag envelope, then look at other things. How the spring moves is controlled with valving, oil weight and height; plus what is going on in back.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
no washers

Damper rod out of my son's '76 R90S.

No washer.

My '75 R90S is identical. Funny how the fiche and the bikes are not exactly the same.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
apt13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks a bunch for the photos and info. i think i'll just button it all back up and forget about the washers. just wanted to make sure everything wasn't going to blow up if they weren't in there, haha.

and yes i'm just going to go ahead and use the progressive springs i got. seems silly for me to hunt around for different ones and spend more money and try and sell these others. i'll just go with what i got.

another extra little bit i found was at the bottom of the fork lowers, there was a 4" spring, a tiny bit smaller diameter than the larger fork spring. can't find it on any diagrams or anything. i showed it to nathan and he said it was some kind of add-on they used to sell before progressive springs were out and about? anybody have any info on these? i don't think i'll be putting them back in, just curious about them since i've never seen them mentioned anywhere. i can take a photo if need be.
Airhead Tshirts!