Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Dusredel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Buying bikes in Europe and touring please help!

Hello. So this just came up and now I'm scrambling. I'm headed to Europe for three months with a home base in Spain. My plan is to try and buy a bike in Germany because I have family there and they could help me do it. Once I have the bike I need to figure out registration and insurance. Ride to to Spain hang out for a while then go ride around and see the sights. This is all going down January to march. Any ideas on buying bikes in Europe registering them and insuring them? Is that an easy task as an American. I Also have two friends who are thinking of coming to ride from Spain
To maybe Italy. I need to find them two cheap bikes that are up for the task is Spain. What is the deal with buying registering and insuring bikes in Spain. What are options for selling bikes registered in Spain in Italy when their ride is over? Thanks for the help. Dustin
Dusredel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,685
Typically, in order to register, and then insure, a bike in Europe you need a residential address in Europe. In most EU countries, including Germany as far as I know, it's the bike that's insured, not the rider, so, providing your family are willing to register it in their name, at their address, then that should be that.

FWIW the UK insures the rider which complicates things a tad. Not sure about Spain.

The good news is that Germany is one of Europe's biggest bike market so prices are good.

As for selling them, if you sell them in a different country from which they're registered, you're gonna lose a fair chunk of money as the buyer will need to re-register them to their country and that can be expensive. Might mean you end up selling 'em for parts. You'll lose less if you take the bike back to Germany.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,882
We have 2 bikes for sale right now that are located in Bulgaria with Irish plates.
I can put your name on the title from here and you just fly there and pick it up, fully insured and titled in your name.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Dusredel OP
Adventurer

I think I'm gonna deal with a bike in Germany with my family. The problem I'm having is that two of my good friends want to come for like a month and ride from Spain where I'm staying to Italy. It would be so much fun. The thing is what to do about bikes. I was thinking when I'm in Spain try to hunt down two of the cheapest bikes i can find that I think would be capipable of making the trip. I'm talking 500 dollar rat bikes. Then what do to about insurance and registration for them. Lastly when they get to Italy what to do with the bikes then. Is selling an option or are they going to have to take them to the scrap yard. Please give me some ideas how this plan could work. I'm going but I want to figure out how to get my boys with me.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Dusredel OP
Adventurer

How much are the bikes in Bulgaria?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusredel View Post
Is selling an option or are they going to have to take them to the scrap yard..
sorry, selling is not an option here in Italy, there is a lot of paperwork involved in importing a bike even from another EU country, most people wouldn't touch a foreign bike. if it's an appealing enough bike then selling , or giving it away for spare parts is your best bet.

Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote