Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #391
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
I found one of you smiling

That looks like it was from the end of the race. Well earned smile there!
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #392
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Fantastic Ladybug!

I can't thank you all enough for bringing us along for the ride...

Five years ago, when I was trying to find anyone, anyone at all, who was still racing SL350s off-road, I came up completely dry. I figured that the SL350 had seen it's day off-road and that was it, and that I'd missed it all by being too dam young!

Seeing the photos and reading the stories of you all racing and wringing-out the OSR SL350 down in Baja seriously brings tears of joy to my vintage-bike loving soul; in short, and as I've said before; you guys rock!

On a slightly different topic, I was wearing my 2011 OSR T-shirt to a vintage ride/fly-in last weekend and talked to a guy who, until a few years ago, raced a super-modified '72 SL350 _hill climber_. His friends still campaign the bike and it's a wild machine... 440cc high-compression engine (118 octane only), hugely-extened swingarm and paddle tire and a serious racing history. He invited me over to take a look at the bike... photos to come.
TwinDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #393
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I was trying to get the guys to give me a thumbs up but I think Junior was getting ready to flip me off instead.
Same/same: this is ADV, you know.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #394
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,903
Tales from Truck 2
Race Day 1

A little about the team.
The Outta Sight Team is made up of a variety of people all with very different personalities. Each member has their own strengths, each has their own quirks and this is what makes the team great Ė variety. The team covers the entire PNWet Ė Four members are from Oregon, one from Idaho and Iím from Washington. The SL350 is 40 years old and the Outta Sight Racing team riderís ages span over 4 decades. At the time of the race Junior was in his 20s, Luke in his 30s, Senior in his 40s and Rick in his 50s.

This eclectic group of people came together because of ADV and a love for everything motorcycle. Now here we were, 6 of us traveling together with one goal in mind which was to get that 40 year old SL350 over the finish lineÖÖ.

Junior and I got up super early so we could get out on the road before sun up so we could see the sunrise over the Sea of Cortez. Before we headed out I grabbed an electronic business card of where we stayed. Good place to stay.

We caught our sunrise

Since we were on the road early we had plenty of time to get from San Felipe to Chapala we had time to stop for breakfast. This looked fun but it wasnít open.

While the focus was on the race and getting the bike over the finish line I still was sight seeing and playing tourist along the way. Since it was part of the Baja experience I will share the touristy stuff as well as what this was all about.

As we were making our way along looking for a place for breakfast I spotted this strange thing along the road. We even backed up to really check it out and decided it needed an Outta Sight sticker.

Maybe we would find breakfast here.

Some oneís home along the road to Papa Fernandezís.

This looks promising

Knowing the guys that stayed in Mexacali probably had Clif bars or nut rolls for breakfast that morning I shouldn't show this picture but what the heck. We scored!!! Breakfast was fabulous.

Junior and I kept discovering something about Mexican food, it actually comes to the table steaming hot not lukewarm like it does in the U.S. Notice how the beans are steaming in the above picture. Yummy, but I burned my mouth a few times. I already miss the Mexican food.

Baja road directions

Some where along here we stopped at a military checkpoint which took only a few minutes and we added an Outta Sight sticker to their structure/carport type thing. We were hoping Luke, who would be riding through this area, would see at least one of the stickers. We asked him later and he said he hadnít seen them. He was busy riding and focused on what he was supposed to be doing.

We stopped here for water.

While we were there a gentleman that had been riding a bicycle needed air for his tire. We pulled out the slime pump and assisted. Junior told him about the race and he was very interested in what was happening.

Then it was on to Cocoís Corner.

Most my friends know I donít like having my pictures taken. Actually itís not that I donít like them taken itís I donít like seeing them - - - They look like me. This was a special occasion though and I wanted my picture taken with Coco. He was agreeing that he likes the girls. Gotta love Coco. I bought a t-shirt and he gave me a sticker.

We were on the road again and all the sudden we were passed by a motorcycle. Uh oh and we werenít where we were supposed to be yet. I was starting to get nervous but Junior assured me we were almost to Chapala. I kept thinking my only purpose on this team is to get my truck and the next rider to where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there. Iím thinking to myself the first place Iím supposed to be and Iím going to be lateÖ..Oh holy crap. As I was fretting over that a truck passed and it really shook my poor little Tacoma as it went by. That changed my foucus and all I could think of is Iíd hate to be on a motorcycle and have that powerful monster pass me. At least it got my mind away from worrying about being late.

All was good, we were close to Chapala just as Junior told me and we were there in just a few minutes. Junior estimated it would be about another 30 minutes before the Outta Sight bike would be coming in.

Time to check out the other racers coming in.

And going out

Here comes Luke

He gave us a quick update on what had taken place with the bike this far and it was time for Junior to take the bike for the transit into the Bay of L.A.

There goes Junior

In the Bay of L.A. LAMEco was there to greet us. (Itís my story Iíll tell it like I see it )

The Outta Sight's front fender decoration is much better than LAMEcoís. A Ladybug beats a Donkey any day.

This would be the workshop for the night. I think Allan and Luke were discussing what to do about getting a tire.

Checking out another teamís workshop.

Luke and Junior were busy with the bike and Allan and I went to see if we could find a tire and find out what time we needed to be at the start the next day. We struck out on both things. We went to the hotel where the race officials were to ask what time we needed to be at the start line. We asked Jennifer who said it was whatever time the schedule said and that wasnít her area. There was some clarification needed since the announcements early that morning left some doubt. Finally Jennifer sent us to Anders who sent us to Mike Pearlman who sent us to Jennifer. All three gave us different times although each specifying they werenít sure and we should clarify with the next personÖ.. We were given times to be at the start from 6:00 am to 8:00 am. It was a little frustrating although a bit comical that no one seemed to know when that first green flag was going to drop.

After getting back to the motel Allan wandered off and returned with a tire and oil for the bike. Not the best tire but it would work for a spare. At that point anything was better than nothing and nothing was what there was.

Our home for the night.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #395
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,379
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #396
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #397
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
At the time of the race Junior was in his 20s, Luke in his 30s, Senior in his 40s and Rick in his 50s.

Nice dodge on not divulging your age... but a proper lady never divulges her age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

Hey, put the munchies down and get to work on your report.

PLEASE!

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #398
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 653
"Not a real problem, just speed up. I've been assured that these motors can go 9500rpm all day long"

Luke is correct, so full disclosure is required here; as the self proclaimed crusty old veteran on the team, I had assured them that this motor was designed to be revved hard and that the 9500 rev limit was appropriate. What I failed to take into account was the bike is heavier than stock, the riders with gear are heavier than an average rider in 1972, and I really did not consider that in Baja you can literally "pin" the bike for prolonged periods in 95 degree heat. All these things combined led to some probable damage in the left cylinder, but the prior year's experience had proven that even when wounded the SL350 would soldier on. We re-established a new lower rev limit, fixed what we could and continued on.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #399
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Great report Lady Bug!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #400
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
"Not a real problem, just speed up. I've been assured that these motors can go 9500rpm all day long"

Luke is correct, so full disclosure is required here; as the self proclaimed crusty old veteran on the team, I had assured them that this motor was designed to be revved hard and that the 9500 rev limit was appropriate. What I failed to take into account was the bike is heavier than stock, the riders with gear are heavier than an average rider in 1972, and I really did not consider that in Baja you can literally "pin" the bike for prolonged periods in 95 degree heat. All these things combined led to some probable damage in the left cylinder, but the prior year's experience had proven that even when wounded the SL350 would soldier on. We re-established a new lower rev limit, fixed what we could and continued on.
Rick, We found that our bike liked 7000 rpms. It could run it all day long. Having an oil cooler though is absolutely essential. I have a 1971 CB350 that I road race at Sandia in Albuquerque. I've become friends with the likes of Steve Brown who is an Ahrma national champion & some other guys out of Texas who race 350's. Believe it or not, with lightening the crank & using bronze valve guides you can rev this engine to 13,000 rpms. I don't think many people realize just how tough & versatile this 350 engine is. The acceleration on my 350 road racer is breath taking. Obviously it wouldn't work in Baja but there are things you can do to that motor. I think we showed that on the first day. Remember, it was a stock engine. Kinda sorta, anyway. All we did was port the head, use foam filters & a stock '69 cam. Oh and a LAMEco pipe!!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #401
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,379
There are certainly tons of ways to modify these old Honda twin motors. However, my goal for the OSR SL350 has always been to keep it as stock as possible. I did upgrade the forks mostly to add a disc front brake...and the rear suspension to save my back

Just like when I raced a stock DRZ400S to a 2nd place for the season, I wanted to illustrate to people that it is possible to race what you brung and still have a great time without breaking the bank.

Our first year, the SL motor was exactly how it was when I got it from Ladybug and it had been in storage for over a decade (probably closer to 20 years). It overheated due to human error in my miscalculating the gearing, but as Rick pointed out, it just kept going and after returning from Mexico last year, I went on to to race motocross, compete in an AHRMA trials, and ride at the Isle of Vashon TT among other things before tearing the motor down and discovering the damage done in Mexico.

As far as an oil cooler I would have loved to have installed a Cappellini oil cooler, but I did not have the money to do it, and really wanted to keep the motor stock and simple. Lameco did an great job fabbing up their oil cooler, and if they want to machine up a side cover and send me instructions, I would probably mount one up on my bike since they proved its reliability this year

When I had the bike rebuilt for this year, We replaced what we had to, and left what Honda Tech Gary Strange (vintage himself) thought was good-to-go. The motor was rebuilt in his shed about 15 miles from my house, and he did all of the machining himself at the local Honda shop. We just installed the first-over pistons and rings. No speed shop stuff here. Just a very good, local motorcycle mechanic who has a huge love for old Honda's.

The bike ran great at the Desert 100, much stronger and crisper than it was last year. The bike ran great for me on that first special in Baja too, however, riding with a flat for 50 miles, I was not really pushing the motor that much. I had installed the tach on the bike this year because I liked the idea of it to reduce the possibility of over stressing the motor. It proved to be very helpful for me to and it felt that peak horsepower was being produced at about 7,000 RPM so thats where I was keeping it.

Even with the undoubted damage done to the bike on day one this year, the fact that it kept running as well as it did for the rest of the race I believe is a testament to just how good a job Gary did on that rebuild, how tough these Honda twins are, and how good a wrench Rick (LC Garage) really is. We were burning some oil, but we were also losing a lot out of one of the seals. But as long as we kept the oil level up, all was well with the old girl.

There were some head bolts that loosened up but as Gary pointed out, those should have been checked and torqued, as is recommended in every manual he's ever looked at following a rebuild. Manual?? What's that?? Somehow, none of us thought to do that, but I sure should have following the Desert 100. Luckily, Luke saw they had loosened up and he took care of it.

I haven't really looked at the bike since coming back, but tomorrow I hope to get it over to Lonnie's start her up. Then I'll have to decide whether or not to open up the top end and assess the damage, or just race her as is

I still like the idea of it being a completely stock motor and think that it keeps it reliable, so there is no plan to "soup" the old girl up, just get her checked and freshened up again for her next adventure which will include remounting the stock forks, and entering AHRMA events this summer!

As far as race reports, I'm enjoying the hell out of OSR team members' writing....they remember it all better than me anyway!!

oregoncoast screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 09:32 PM
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #402
DOCsprocket
Sprocket

Oddometer: 511
So I was part of OSR on the maiden trip to Baja in 2011 and had a blast, but this year I used up all of my hey-sweetie-do-you-mind-if-I's riding from San Diego to Panama in November/December, and am just now emerging from the pay-back stage. So rolling through Baja chasing an ancient Honda, picking up ejected parts, staying up late putting them back on, and eating fish tacos was not in the cards for me. Last year there really were no defined roles for each member of OSR when we headed out, but everyone seemed to gravitate towards what suited them best. Luke was the moto-savant, who's knowledge of all things motorcycle seemed to be limitless (I set about extracting an education from him on this topic during the countless hours driving through Baja that continues even now when we drive out to ride in the coast range). Jr. provided perpetual enthusiasm and was the hands-on mechanic tearing into the bike on a more frequent basis than anyone thought we'd need to. Johnny D provided the music and humor that was overlayed on every memory. But I lacked any true skills other than driving the van and schmoozing Mexican officials with a little of the ole Spanish. That said, I would have loved to have been there again in any fashion this year, just to be part of it all. So when Luke proposed that I be the dispatcher from home, I jumped on it, although I was skeptical how much I'd enjoy it.

I wasn't so much in Baja, as I was over Baja. I'd wake up in the morning and assemble the command center: the laptop, the desktop, the iPad, and my phone. To stay in the spirit, I wore my OSR shirt and shunned any hygiene for the period of the race. When in Rome...

Between working on my own bikes in 15-minute intervals, I'd monitor the Spot Trackers on Sherry's truck, Jr's truck and the bike. My inner control freak was in 7th heaven. Initially I was worried that being tied to the command center during Oregon's first decent stretch of weather was going to be challenging, but I set it all up on the work bench in the garage, below a photo of Sr, tearing up some rocky section of the course last year, opened the garage door, pulled my work apron over my OSR shirt, and got some grease on my hands. I was as close to there as I could be.

I was there at the start, and in some ways that differed from the rest of the crew, I was there on the first special in the dry lake bed, switching between the spot tracker website and Google Earth as Paul got a bit off course. I became so hooked on spectating that I had no desire to leave the command center and set about texting everyone about the bikes location and progress.

DOCsprocket screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 09:58 AM
DOCsprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #403
DOCsprocket
Sprocket

Oddometer: 511
When I got texts from OSR on the front line, it became even more real and images of my recent trip through Baja on my BMW mixed with memories of last year's race. As I watched the first day unfold, I was bummed that there'd be nothing more to watch for the day. But the next day it began again...

DOCsprocket screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 12:58 PM
DOCsprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #404
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
I'll post up some of my bits and pieces...

4-25
Drove all day, mostly down 101 to Santa Barbara to meet up with Treadless, (Mike) who graciously donated to the OSR effort for a 2nd year in a row. Mike showed us around his workshop, checked out his bikes, and some old cars heís restored, some are his, some are his current customers. He does nice work.

4-26
Sr. and I had to get up and get going so we could go visit AXO Sport, one of our main sponsors. They hooked up the whole OSR team with their Vintage Trans Am jersey, pants and killer leather boots. (More about those later) Met their staff, had a short meeting, bought some more things, then hit the road. We stopped outside of Oceanside as word was that Ladybug and Luke were only about 20 minutes behind us, plus we were going to stop and say hi to Ted Sumner (The Dude) and chat for a few minutes. From there, we proceeded to San Diego for the next two nights.

*Snip*

4-29
Race day. I wasnít to take the bike until the 3rd transit. This meant my only job was to get from San Felipe to Chapala. Ladybug and I still left SF by 5:30 to clear town and get to a good sunrise vantage point. From there, we just meandered down Hwy 5 towards Puertocitos in search of breakfast. The restaurant there was closed for the season, so we just kept going, finally stopping at Papa Fernandez on the edge of Gonzaga Bay. The thing Iíve learned is that places wonít look open, but if you just pull up, someone will come and make you the best food youíve ever had. Which they did.

The last cell service we had was just south of SF, so the only update we had was that the bike made it off the ceremonial start line. At Gonzaga bay, there is a little mini-mart where we stopped for cold drinks, beer, etc so the incoming rider had something nice. An old guy on a bicycle (gringo) stopped us and had no idea what was going on. He was focused on finding someone with an air compressor to add more air to his bike tires, which we happily supplied. The gentleman was very interested in the race after we told him more about it, with some other gringos pulling up asking us if we knew when the race vehicles would come through. I think they were most interested since there was a large dirt jump right in front of the mini-mart, which later reports were that some people hit the jump.
Our next bit was to get down through Co-coís Corner, and my goal, to get to Chapala before any race vehicles went by. Almost made it too. Three bikes, the first, passed us; I think was Mike Gilkey on the big KTM Super Enduro. About Ĺ mile before the end of the section Walker Evans passed super close to us, and super fast. Driving like a maniac. The whole day I was running through my head what time to expect Luke. Based on our arrival, I was estimating to wait about 2 hrs. That was closer to 3 hrs. Luke finally pulled in, his exact words, if I recall properly were just ďits been a clusterĒ Check the oil, jump on the paved rd for the last transit to Bay of LA. (BoLA) Those 70 miles were the most Iíd spent on this bike ever. Caught up to some other modern bikes and just followed them in.
Since I hadnít ridden a lick of off-road, my gear was nice and clean, and I wasnít even sweating, so I felt a bit like a poser when I crossed the line and everyone was cheering me. I was thinking ďok, well I havenít really done much todayĒ Lets be honest, they were cheering the bike, which had a very long day. I didnít know the story about what happened until later in the evening.
Stayed at the Casa Diaz next to Curt LeDuc and his crew, who were super cool and encouraging. Cleaned filters, added oil, tightened stuff down. The swing arm nut came very loose, so Luke tightened it down. (More about this later) Since we only had a spare wheel with tire, which had to be put on at the end of Salada, we now had no spare rear tire. Al, who by this time had showed up at BoLA, found the local tire shop and bought the best 18 inch take off dirt tire they had. This thing had definitely seen better days, but a tire is a tire.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #405
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCsprocket View Post
So I was part of OSR on the maiden trip to Baja in 2011 and had a blast, but this year I used up all of my hey-sweetie-do-you-mind-if-I's riding from San Diego to Panama in November/December, and am just now emerging from the pay-back stage. So rolling through Baja chasing an ancient Honda, picking up ejected parts, staying up late putting them back on, and eating fish tacos was not in the cards for me. Last year there really were no defined roles for each member of OSR when we headed out, but everyone seemed to gravitate towards what suited them best. Luke was the moto-savant, who's knowledge of all things motorcycle seemed to be limitless (I set about extracting an education from him on this topic during the countless hours driving through Baja that continues even now when we drive out to ride in the coast range). Jr. provided perpetual enthusiasm and was the hands-on mechanic tearing into the bike on a more frequent basis than anyone thought we'd need to. Johnny D provided the music and humor that was overlayed on every memory. But I lacked any true skills other than driving the van and schmoozing Mexican officials with a little of the ole Spanish. That said, I would have loved to have been there again in any fashion this year, just to be part of it all. So when Luke proposed that I be the dispatcher from home, I jumped on it, although I was skeptical how much I'd enjoy it.

I wasn't so much in Baja, as I was over Baja. I'd wake up in the morning and assemble the command center: the laptop, the desktop, the iPad, and my phone. To stay in the spirit, I wore my OSR shirt and shunned any hygiene for the period of the race. When in Rome...

Between working on my own bikes in 15-minute intervals, I'd monitor the Spot Trackers on Sherry's truck, Jr's truck and the bike. My inner control freak was in 7th heaven. Initially I was worried that being tied to the command center during Oregon's first decent stretch of weather was going to be challenging, but I set it all up on the work bench in the garage, below a photo of Sr, tearing up some rocky section of the course last year, opened the garage door, pulled my work apron over my OSR shirt, and got some grease on my hands. I was as close to there as I could be.

I was there at the start, and in some ways that differed from the rest of the crew, I was there on the first special in the dry lake bed, switching between the spot tracker website and Google Earth as Paul got a bit off course. I became so hooked on spectating that I had no desire to leave the command center and set about texting everyone about the bikes location and progress.
Good stuff Doc! Since it was my first trip down, the vastness of the whole thing was made a little less daunting by having the "eye in the sky" (you) reporting in on progress and or any other bits of information, it made the whole thing far more manageable. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the crews who did not have someone keeping track of everything in a central location. You did a great job, thanks!