User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #406
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
*Snip*

I'm still a little new here, what is a *snip*?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #407
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
So at the end of the first day, we (4/6 of OSR) were in Bay of LA with a bike that ran. Pretty well. It was time for some maintenance. There was no need for an oil change, as it had already changed its oil during the day. Figuring the heat was not good for the head, I re-torqued all the head bolts. Well, all the ones I could find, anyway. 3 of 8 were loose. The swingarm nut had backed off and was spinning loose; it was just luck that it was still on the bolt at all. I tightened that down extra snug. There were a few minor oil leaks, but nothing worth risking making worse by trying to fix.

Allan and Sherry went out to get more oil, but I neglected to mention how much we would need. They came back with two quarts. Which for a bike, is usually plenty. On this bike, at the rate we were going we'd burn that in less than a day. With absolutely no detectable eye-rolling, they went out and bought more.

We got our best night's sleep of the race- 5 hours.

The next morning Jr. rode the first stage, and was to meet Rick and Sr. at the end. We weren't sure how long it would take to drive around from Bay of LA, which was why they spent the night in Guerrero Negro. Sherry and I drove around, and met Beechum and Decafe at a tamale stand on the side of the road. It was quite an improvement over the Clif bar breakfast that we had resigned ourselves to less than five minutes before.

Splitting up the team overnight turned out to be unnecessary. We met up with Rick and Sr. at the end of the first stage, and Jr arrived fairly soon after. We had the usual madhouse of checking the bike, switching riders, giving stickers to the kids, repacking the truck, and racing down the road to catch up to the bike.

It was a repeat at San Ignatio, which was the start of the longest stage. Add gas and oil, change rider. Don't forget a fist bump for luck.

Then drive to the end and wait. We got an avalanche of texts from Alex when we got into Sta. Rosalita assuring us that the bike was on course and moving. That called for a ceviche break. A little restaurant just across from the Pemex in the north end of town was perfect. Being packed with ex-pats and locals was a good sign, and it delivered.

A little more driving and we got to the end of the special. Time for more waiting. The bike pulled it and it was my turn to ride. My instructions were "It's running fine, take it easy, swingarm was too tight, fixed","huh? too tight?" "yeah" "how's that possible? ok, see you in Loreto"

Riding transits is supposed to be dull if you do it right. But you have to do it right. All you have to do is drive the speed limit (cough ) and you'll get there with time to spare. Well, whatever the speed is supposed to be, waiting behind a watermelon truck driving the mountain roads is way too slow. I made one exciting pass (screened by a race car) and rode into Loreto. The chase trucks were far behind.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #408
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,873
Luke crossing the finish from a reverse angle

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #409
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Middle and End Report

Here is the last of my reports, from the middle to the end of the event:

4-30-12 Day 2; This day would turn out to be one of our more challenging as there was some uncertainty as to the condition of the bike. We heard reports that it had overheated the prior afternoon and were concerned about the condition and what we could do to repair or adjust it to ensure a strong finish. This day also featured a couple of our longest specials, so we had to be sure the bike would make it to the finish and not strand our rider in the middle of nowhere. When the bike arrived after D2SS1, we had all our tools ready, gave the bike a quick check, did a plug change & checked points and then I headed out on the transit, again riding conservatively and listening and feeling for anything out of the ordinary. Diagnosis was that we were smoking a little on the left cylinder and probably a tick low on compression, but overall the old girl was still chugging right along. At the end of the transit, we gassed, oiled, checked and sent Sr on his way for the longest (175 mile) special of the event. The two trucks regrouped and headed back to the East coast, and stopping for a nice lunch at Santa Rosalita. We met back up with Sr at a point just 39 miles from Loreto, he had put in a very strong run (8th fastest of all bikes) and Luke rode the bike into Loreto for the night. At this point we were sitting first in class and looking at a top ten overall, if we could just finish strong and no major errors.

Day 2 hand-off between Sr & Luke

When we got to Loreto, we all knew there was a lot of work to do and fatigue was setting in a bit, at least for me. There was some talk about eating or getting cleaned up, but I knew if I stopped it would be hard to get going again, so the whole team soldiered on, finally finishing up at after 10 PM that night. We had changed out a spare tire (thanks to Malcolm, Alex & Andy for a free inner tube & bolts, and use of a hacksaw) ~ and also thanks to Loud Al for the muscle, the exhaust system (we put on our straight pipes), a full tune up & oil change, more head bolt tightening and an improved locknut for the swingarm. All this was done by the light of flashlights (thanks Lady Bug for the steady hand with the flashlight!) and some McGiver jury rigged battery powered work lights (thanks Jr), with great team work by all. The OSR Team trudged up to our room, tired and dirty, had quick showers, ate pizzas Sr bought for us, and then we all fell into bed for a few hours of sleep, and then back up at 4 AM to start again.

5-1-12 Day 3; Jr would ride the first special out of Loreto and Luke would ride the second special, with Sr riding the transits. We started out with a free breakfast at the rustic Del Borracho Saloon a few miles outside of Loreto; this is a place I will go back to if I ever have the chance, just a neat place.

Del Borracho Saloon

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Out...emapped-XL.jpg

Luke taking care of Jr at one of the pits

Day 3 was also the day Luke would face what the vets had termed the “death cliffs” and with my aversion to heights was grateful he was riding it and not me. All of our hard work the night before paid big dividends as the bike was running strong, sounded great with the straight pipes and our riders were all running strong and consistent. Speaking of consistent, as a team, throughout the event this was our hallmark, running at a competitive speed, but no major errors or breakage. That afternoon we all arrive in La Paz for what seemed like a pre finish celebration, everybody in high spirits with the finish in sight. At our hotel, a small bribe to the parking garage guard netted an indoor work space, clean cool and reasonably well lit (really well lit compared to Loreto!). After the team enjoyed a well earned lunch and drinks in the hotels patio style restaurant, we gave the bike it’s last and final maintenance session, all hands on deck as usual and working hard, with Al going in search of and bringing back a new Dessert Maxx tire (courtesy of Baja Dad aka Mark Vanscourt) and getting it mounted on the original wheel as it turned out that the dented spare put on in Laguna Salada now had a broken spoke. With the bike completed and ready we had showers, a few more beers and then off to bed for some much needed rest.

La Paz indoor pit area ~ sweet!

Fearless Al & Jr mount a tire

Leaving LaPaz

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Out...D7K0978-XL.jpg

5-2-12 Day 4; Sr had graciously given me the final day, an act of generosity that is hard to fully appreciate. Being allowed the opportunity to bring the bike across the finish line was huge and I will always be thankful to him for that, as well as just being part of his OSR team. At the staging area for the transit, I was in a group talking with Andrew & Doug and Malcolm Smith stopped by to tell me “just make sure you get to the finish line” and shook my hand, I said “yes sir” and meant it. We all then pulled out to the starting line and Luke was with me, airing up the tire and giving the bike one last going over. I had been given a simple set of instructions that morning by Sr, “if you don’t win, just keep on going!” and although he was kidding a bit, I knew that our team was in a position to have a great finish and it was up to me to finish the final leg in a reasonably competitive time and not break the bike. I was flagged off at 7:11 and while riding thru La Paz noticed the boys from Austin (Nate & Matt) as well as Doug seemed to be riding along with me. I talked to Matt & Nate later that night and they said they had been navigating by a smart phone that Matt would hold up with his left hand while he rode and were also navigating “by dust”! They were following me because they thought I knew where I was going, if only they knew how easily I get lost! At the beginning of D4SS1, Sr & Jr gassed and oiled the bike one more time, wished me luck and I was off. The special started off thru ranches and farms and then thru many small villages, the children really like the race and waved, I honked and waved back at all of them. It was a perfect morning for a ride, cool morning air, slightly damp dirt roads, perfection. In the high desert, you would go thru twisty gnarly stuff and then pop out on long straight stretches. On one of these stretches, I was going about 65, came into a right hander and immediately was bouncing thru the air over big braking bumps, like 3 foot high whoops and although I fought for control and scrubbed off most of my speed, finally flopped over to the right at about 10 mph. Got back up, took a minute to get her restarted and then slowly getting back up to speed, finding my rhythm, passing Nate who appeared to be making a tire change (a thumbs up verified ok), now following Doug, he falls on an uphill off camber and I pass (another thumbs up), then I stop to pee, he passes me back and I never see him again. I make many wrong turns and do a lot of back tracking, am trying to make up time and overshoot a corner hitting some cactus, and now my right side is covered with chollo balls! I try to scrape them off and they stick to my glove and are poking my side, arm and hands and gradually get enough off that I can focus on riding. Even though I have to pee and want to stop, my plan is to wait until Mag 7, so that I can do one gas stop, nature break and cacti removal, but starting to wonder where the hell is Mag 7?? Todos Santos comes and goes; still no sign of the pit and the miles are piling up. I remember that Sr said he had gone about 80 or 85 miles before going to reserve, and we do have an extra gallon of gas under the front number plate. Mag 7 is nowhere to be found, I am now way up in the mountains and at mile 83 go to reserve. At mile 87, Robby passes in his Orange Hummer (he honked and gave me plenty of room) and I got the hell out of his way as quickly as possible. A little later I was passed by Terrible Herbst, but still kept going even though I really needed to stop (I was in that zone, just want to keep going), then at mile 91 on a dusty hard pack LH corner, lost the front end and went skidding down the road on my helmet and left shoulder, looking backward at the bike and thinking I may as well gas up and pee since I’m already stopped! I take care of business, shed as many cacti balls as possible and start the final push for the finish. Out of the mountains and onto a long straight stretch of an almost pure white road, going about 65 mph and get passed by a buggy, total white out, almost came to a stop to keep from crashing and thank God for tear offs, they were a big help to my vision after getting totally dusted. Onto the highway and then back off into the river bed heading South, final 12 miles as fast as the bike will go, bike was bogging in deep sand and would only pull 4th gear, and then finally driving thru the streets of Cabo San Jose, pulling into the finish with the OSR team and my wife waiting, I was elated and emotional, seeing everyone and knowing the OSR Team had worked so hard to accomplish something so challenging was a great feeling!

Finish line in Cabo (you can see Luke, OSR team and my wife Jan in background)

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Out...36-Edit-XL.jpg

Four Dudes in Cabo

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Out...DSC4976-XL.jpg

The finish area was again a kind of happy pandemonium, with Robby Gordon providing entertainment, doing burnout cookies and knocking over a cactus (and the guy leaning on it!) in the median. Our team was interviewed by Dave Despain, it was pretty gratifying throughout the course of the event to see how many people were smitten with the vintage bike concept and had a real appreciation for the old bikes.

OSR Team in Cabo

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Out...97-Edit-XL.jpg

The icing on the cake was the next day when we went out for a photo shoot and discovered the rectifier/regulator was completely gone (literally gone, it had broken the tie wrap that held it on the bike and probably had been ripped away from it’s wires by the back tire or chain), a few more miles of racing and we would have been stuck, our racing mojo had held up to the very end!

Torn wiring and rectifier/regulator gone!

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Out...D7K1373-XL.jpg

I would be remiss if I did not thank NORRA, all of our great sponsors; AXO, Atomic Moto, Konflict Motorsports, Cyclops Adventure Sports, Ortiz Sign & Graphics, Wide Open Motorsports, Lady Bug, Allan Leahy Photography, New West Welding, Doc Sprocket the Dispatcher and many other friends and supporters, our families, and even our fellow competitors such as Lameco, that pushed us to be our very best. Last but not least, thanks to our ADV friends who have encouraged and cheered us on through this process!

LC Garage screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 08:24 AM
LC Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #410
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
*Snip*

I'm still a little new here, what is a *snip*?
so you don't have to pull out
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #411
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
so you don't have to pull out
Jeremy, you are one funny guy! I truly wish we could have spent more time with you guys, would have been fun and your reports are great, keep it up!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #412
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #413
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,272
haha, thanks, come find us on the heckler wall next year.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #414
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

With Loud Al's help I've attempted to upgrade some of the pictures or links to pictures, these may be better for viewing than my first effort. Being an old fart, this tech stuff is still above my head at times, hope it worked.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #415
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Here is the last of my reports, from the middle to the end of the event:

4-30-12 Day 2; This day would turn out to be one of our more challenging as there was some uncertainty as to the condition of the bike. We heard reports that it had overheated the prior afternoon and were concerned about the condition and what we could do to repair or adjust it to ensure a strong finish. This day also featured a couple of our longest specials, so we had to be sure the bike would make it to the finish and not strand our rider in the middle of nowhere. When the bike arrived after D2SS1, we had all our tools ready, gave the bike a quick check, did a plug change & checked points and then I headed out on the transit, again riding conservatively and listening and feeling for anything out of the ordinary. Diagnosis was that we were smoking a little on the left cylinder and probably a tick low on compression, but overall the old girl was still chugging right along. At the end of the transit, we gassed, oiled, checked and sent Sr on his way for the longest (175 mile) special of the event. The two trucks regrouped and headed back to the East coast, and stopping for a nice lunch at Santa Rosalita. We met back up with Sr at a point just 39 miles from Loreto, he had put in a very strong run (8th fastest of all bikes) and Luke rode the bike into Loreto for the night. At this point we were sitting first in class and looking at a top ten overall, if we could just finish strong and no major errors.

Day 2 hand-off between Sr & Luke

When we got to Loreto, we all knew there was a lot of work to do and fatigue was setting in a bit, at least for me. There was some talk about eating or getting cleaned up, but I knew if I stopped it would be hard to get going again, so the whole team soldiered on, finally finishing up at after 10 PM that night. We had changed out a spare tire (thanks to Malcolm, Alex & Andy for a free inner tube & bolts, and use of a hacksaw) ~ and also thanks to Loud Al for the muscle, the exhaust system (we put on our straight pipes), a full tune up & oil change, more head bolt tightening and an improved locknut for the swingarm. All this was done by the light of flashlights (thanks Lady Bug for the steady hand with the flashlight!) and some McGiver jury rigged battery powered work lights (thanks Jr), with great team work by all. The OSR Team trudged up to our room, tired and dirty, had quick showers, ate pizzas Sr bought for us, and then we all fell into bed for a few hours of sleep, and then back up at 4 AM to start again.

5-1-12 Day 3; Jr would ride the first special out of Loreto and Luke would ride the second special, with Sr riding the transits. We started out with a free breakfast at the rustic Del Borracho Saloon a few miles outside of Loreto; this is a place I will go back to if I ever have the chance, just a neat place.

Del Borracho Saloon

Luke taking care of Jr at one of the pits

Day 3 was also the day Luke would face what the vets had termed the “death cliffs” and with my aversion to heights was grateful he was riding it and not me. All of our hard work the night before paid big dividends as the bike was running strong, sounded great with the straight pipes and our riders were all running strong and consistent. Speaking of consistent, as a team, throughout the event this was our hallmark, running at a competitive speed, but no major errors or breakage. That afternoon we all arrive in La Paz for what seemed like a pre finish celebration, everybody in high spirits with the finish in sight. At our hotel, a small bribe to the parking garage guard netted an indoor work space, clean cool and reasonably well lit (really well lit compared to Loreto!). After the team enjoyed a well earned lunch and drinks in the hotels patio style restaurant, we gave the bike it’s last and final maintenance session, all hands on deck as usual and working hard, with Al going in search of and bringing back a new Dessert Maxx tire (courtesy of Baja Dad aka Mark Vanscourt) and getting it mounted on the original wheel as it turned out that the dented spare put on in Laguna Salada now had a broken spoke. With the bike completed and ready we had showers, a few more beers and then off to bed for some much needed rest.

La Paz indoor pit area ~ sweet!

Fearless Al & Jr mount a tire

Leaving LaPaz

5-2-12 Day 4; Sr had graciously given me the final day, an act of generosity that is hard to fully appreciate. Being allowed the opportunity to bring the bike across the finish line was huge and I will always be thankful to him for that, as well as just being part of his OSR team. At the staging area for the transit, I was in a group talking with Andrew & Doug and Malcolm Smith stopped by to tell me “just make sure you get to the finish line” and shook my hand, I said “yes sir” and meant it. We all then pulled out to the starting line and Luke was with me, airing up the tire and giving the bike one last going over. I had been given a simple set of instructions that morning by Sr, “if you don’t win, just keep on going!” and although he was kidding a bit, I knew that our team was in a position to have a great finish and it was up to me to finish the final leg in a reasonably competitive time and not break the bike. I was flagged off at 7:11 and while riding thru La Paz noticed the boys from Austin (Nate & Matt) as well as Doug seemed to be riding along with me. I talked to Matt & Nate later that night and they said they had been navigating by a smart phone that Matt would hold up with his left hand while he rode and were also navigating “by dust”! They were following me because they thought I knew where I was going, if only they knew how easily I get lost! At the beginning of D4SS1, Sr & Jr gassed and oiled the bike one more time, wished me luck and I was off. The special started off thru ranches and farms and then thru many small villages, the children really like the race and waved, I honked and waved back at all of them. It was a perfect morning for a ride, cool morning air, slightly damp dirt roads, perfection. In the high desert, you would go thru twisty gnarly stuff and then pop out on long straight stretches. On one of these stretches, I was going about 65, came into a right hander and immediately was bouncing thru the air over big braking bumps, like 3 foot high whoops and although I fought for control and scrubbed off most of my speed, finally flopped over to the right at about 10 mph. Got back up, took a minute to get her restarted and then slowly getting back up to speed, finding my rhythm, passing Nate who appeared to be making a tire change (a thumbs up verified ok), now following Doug, he falls on an uphill off camber and I pass (another thumbs up), then I stop to pee, he passes me back and I never see him again. I make many wrong turns and do a lot of back tracking, am trying to make up time and overshoot a corner hitting some cactus, and now my right side is covered with chollo balls! I try to scrape them off and they stick to my glove and are poking my side, arm and hands and gradually get enough off that I can focus on riding. Even though I have to pee and want to stop, my plan is to wait until Mag 7, so that I can do one gas stop, nature break and cacti removal, but starting to wonder where the hell is Mag 7?? Todos Santos comes and goes; still no sign of the pit and the miles are piling up. I remember that Sr said he had gone about 80 or 85 miles before going to reserve, and we do have an extra gallon of gas under the front number plate. Mag 7 is nowhere to be found, I am now way up in the mountains and at mile 83 go to reserve. At mile 87, Robby passes in his Orange Hummer (he honked and gave me plenty of room) and I got the hell out of his way as quickly as possible. A little later I was passed by Terrible Herbst, but still kept going even though I really needed to stop (I was in that zone, just want to keep going), then at mile 91 on a dusty hard pack LH corner, lost the front end and went skidding down the road on my helmet and left shoulder, looking backward at the bike and thinking I may as well gas up and pee since I’m already stopped! I take care of business, shed as many cacti balls as possible and start the final push for the finish. Out of the mountains and onto a long straight stretch of an almost pure white road, going about 65 mph and get passed by a buggy, total white out, almost came to a stop to keep from crashing and thank God for tear offs, they were a big help to my vision after getting totally dusted. Onto the highway and then back off into the river bed heading South, final 12 miles as fast as the bike will go, bike was bogging in deep sand and would only pull 4th gear, and then finally driving thru the streets of Cabo San Jose, pulling into the finish with the OSR team and my wife waiting, I was elated and emotional, seeing everyone and knowing the OSR Team had worked so hard to accomplish something so challenging was a great feeling!

Finish line in Cabo (you can see Luke, OSR team and my wife Jan in background)

Four Dudes in Cabo

The finish area was again a kind of happy pandemonium, with Robby Gordon providing entertainment, doing burnout cookies and knocking over a cactus (and the guy leaning on it!) in the median. Our team was interviewed by Dave Despain, it was pretty gratifying throughout the course of the event to see how many people were smitten with the vintage bike concept and had a real appreciation for the old bikes.

OSR Team in Cabo

The icing on the cake was the next day when we went out for a photo shoot and discovered the rectifier/regulator was completely gone (literally gone, it had broken the tie wrap that held it on the bike and probably had been ripped away from it’s wires by the back tire or chain), a few more miles of racing and we would have been stuck, our racing mojo had held up to the very end!

Torn wiring and rectifier/regulator gone!

I would be remiss if I did not thank NORRA, all of our great sponsors; AXO, Atomic Moto, Konflict Motorsports, Cyclops Adventure Sports, Ortiz Sign & Graphics, Wide Open Motorsports, Lady Bug, Allan Leahy Photography, New West Welding, Doc Sprocket the Dispatcher and many other friends and supporters, our families, and even our fellow competitors such as Lameco, that pushed us to be our very best. Last but not least, thanks to our ADV friends who have encouraged and cheered us on through this process!
I fixed the links

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #416
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Thumb Great stuff!

Excellent reports on a wonderfully coordinated effort. This is just all-around-awesomeness!
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #417
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,136

I would have towed you in.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #418
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

I would have towed you in.

-John[/QUOTE]

no doubt about that, and ditto!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #419
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,973
Just read this whole thing!!

GREAT Report!!!!

WAY cool guys!!!!

Big congratulations on a great job!!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #420
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,404
Thanks...

Thanks for that. Life after this year's race has been crazy for me, so I have yet to properly update the OSR site or here. Still working on getting all of the videos together to get a short piece edited. Maybe have it done before we do this all again next year
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote