Oddometer: 4,075
Wow... Great.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #32
MatBurn OP
dropout

Oddometer: 29
trip wrapup

So after heading up to Quito, I met up with some other small bike riders... Olli from Germany with his 70cc Honda, Vinnie from USA on a Honda CGL125, and Adrian from Poland on a Chinese 150. We bought a pair of 30 foot canoes and loaded our bikes and headed down the Napo River, deep into the jungle.

Here's one boat, with Suzi peeking out:

The boats were powered by Honda pump motors on swivel-mounts, with 8 foot driveshafts and tiny aluminum propellers. Google long-tail motor and you'll find some.

Here's the other boat:

Anyways, several days in, we caught the other boat on fire with about 25 gallons of gasoline inside. It was pretty crazy, but luckily, the only injuries were some 3rd degree burns on Ollie's legs. Here's Ollie's bike after the fire:

And here's his leg:

We headed downriver and found Ollie some medical attention. We traded some of our remaining stuff for fruits and vegetables, and some nice local people took us fishing. We used the only cash that didn't burn in the fire to buy gasoline and pay a remote clinic for Ollie's care. A week and a half later, we made it to Iquitos. It is a town of 400,000 with no highways leaving the city in the heart of the Amazon. It has its own motorcycle factory. Pure insanity, I tell you. Full of drugs and thieves and tranny hookers and the traffic is 99% motorcycles. Not the kind of place to hang out when you have no money or ID and a motorcycle that doesn't run. So, you know you are thinking you want to go there with money, ID, and a running motorcycle

After a few weeks of sweating, heavy drinking, and trying to get new atm cards, motorcycle titles, etc we rode the only road 60 miles to where it ended, and dumped our bikes on a cargo ship headed upriver into the Peruvian Andes. 2 days later, we were back on the highway and headed north. Much poorer, but happy to be alive and free. A write-up of our debacle in the jungle can be found here: The Napo River misAdventure

I rode back through Ecuador, and up into Colombia. The cops in Bogota impounded my Suzi for the following: fake license plate (made in Argentina), broken mirrors(trail riding in Chile), loud exhaust(modified in Bolivia), and no technomechanical inspection papers(oops). 200 bucks and a day later, I was hauling ass for Medellin, and arrived back where I started exactly 1 year and about 20,000 miles later.

Bike getting impounded:

You can read about my ride from Peru up into Colombia here: South America home stretch

Cleaned up and ready for a new home:

After spending a month in Medellin, I sold the motorcycle for a paltry 2.6 million pesos (I bought it for 4.3), hopped on my bicycle for a month tour of the mountains, had a hernia (jungle souvenir) repaired, and bought a plane ticket home to Indiana. 2 years on the road and a crazy adventure of a trip.

Lately, I've been drooling over possibilities of building something like this:

Thanks for following along!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #33
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Matt
Great to see your update, what a trip!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote