User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:25 AM   #1
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,707
Iconic Old's Cool Motorcycle Going To Auction

Has anyone talked about this here? If so, my bad... I find it interesting because I've always been fascinated with the Easy Rider bikes, tho like many- I actually liked the Billy Bike better. My dad took me to see Easy Rider in 69 when the film came out, in a drive in movie theater in Rhode Island where we lived at the time. I was 13. I never asked him just what exactly he was thinking- the movie changed my young life; I was never the same after that!

In any event:

The iconic "Captain America" chopper from Easy Rider is set for auction in October's Hollywood Auction.

Lots of rumor and lore has surrounded this bike, indeed, both this, and the so-called Billy Bikes over the decades since Easy Rider. This bike seems to have been purchased from the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa Iowa, according to the Vintagent.

Easy Rider/Capatain America Article

I guess folks are finally figuring out what the facts actually are, at least with this bike in particular- which does seem to be built from parts of one used in filming the movie?

Vintagent says:

"The 'Captain America' and 'Billy' bikes were the brainchild of 'Easy Rider' Associate Producer Cliff Vaughs, and the first pair (the 'hero' or 'A' bikes) were built by Ben Hardy in LA, while a second pair (the substitute or 'B' bikes) were built by mechanic Larry Marcus at his and Cliff Vaugh's house in Santa Monica. The full story of the origin of these remarkable motorcycle will appear in October in my book 'The Chopper: the Real Story' (published by Gestalten, who also published 'The Ride'), and it's a long, complicated, and controversial saga."

and

"The machine at auction was apparently built from the remains of the 'B' Captain America bike by Dan Haggerty**, who was the 'chopper handler' for 'Easy Rider' after Associate Producer Cliff Vaughs, along with most of the initial crew on the film (including this bike's builder, Larry Marcus), was fired as Columbia Pictures took control of the film's budget and production. The 'B' bike was partially destroyed at the end of the film, and Haggerty apparently kept the parts. The remaining 3 film bikes were stolen before the end of production, and never recovered, although pieces of these bikes have circulated through the bike collector crowd (and the rumor mill) in the 46 years since the film was made."

Vintagent.Blogspot RE: Easy Rider Bike

Say or think whatever you want about motorcycles in film and or American Culture- and maybe it doesn't mean that much to you personally... but this particular bike is probably- no, definitely- THE most iconic bike, ever.

Interesting stuff!

**As a secondary point of interest, Dan Haggerty apparently went on to portray one Grizzly Adams of TV fame in later years.

ricochetrider screwed with this post Today at 07:41 AM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,200
Thanks for all the great info!

In watching that movie nowadays I am totally impressed at how well the actors rode those bikes - definitely good riders, as I bet the Captain America bike was a handful to handle.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #3
gonerydin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I saw that bike when it was at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa. Very cool place, BTW.
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote