ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
PHXAdventure OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Cj Designs Liquid Storage tank or Neduro for my 2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Im aware of most of the options and have desided to get a good 2 into 1 exaust and go with a rear mounted tank for my 990.
I like the Idea of aluminum but the plastic hold .4 gal more but looks weaker.
What are your experiences .
Shawn aka PHX Adventure.
PHXAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
You also have the Czech option, Rade tank:

http://www.radegarage.com/2013-08-01...eat-rear-tank/

Want to keep the 2-2 setup so will probably go that route later on.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 118
Had some leakage issues with the rade setup. It's fine now but the stock grommets for the ventilation dried out within weeks, making them poor fitting plastic bushes rather than grommets, and sloshing-about-fuel wasn't impressed with the resulting (poor) sealing capacity, especially with a full tank. Glueing them in place fixed the problem, but it was a bit of a nuisance. Also keep in mind that you need to remove the seat to refuel. Fine in regular trim, but with luggage strapped to the back it becomes a bit of a faff. Makes you really use it as back-up fuel rather than a range extender, which was the initial point. Also, you NEED to route the breather tube by the head stock, or it will overflow during breaking/acceleration and what not. Not an issue, just something Rade warned us for, you shouldn't presume to know better. We all did, we all failed.

Other than that it served me brilliantly during my 10.000km road trip this summer. I chose rade's solution because it is a hundred times more elegant, you'd never know the bike is packing 31 liters. I do also have a single exhaust (gpr rally system) so either setup was possible. It is plastic but the tank itself is absolutely bombproof, and the location keeps it sheltered from the big spills at any rate. Chose very conciously and all things considered do not regret my choice.

Unruled screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 05:00 AM
Unruled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
I had the CJ designs tank on my 990R and it worked well. I chose it over the other for preference of it being tucked in higher and metal. I had no problems but you will have to purchase your own fuel line and T fitting and basic on/off valve put in line vs the N tank having it with the kit. I think it was due to how CJ had to certify it or it would be a major deal to label it a fuel tank. No experience with the other but several inmates have them and from what I've read like them overall. Only issues mentioned is if being close the swingarm and lower mount I think but also never read of anyone changing.

I left the valve off until the fuel low light came on then reached down, opened the valve and the light would go out after about 5min or so. Also, if choosing this option, just make sure the gasket is seated in the fuel cap well and cap tight, otherwise it will slosh out a bit but if secure is good.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
I've had both and prefer CJ's solution. You can also change your mind later and turn it into a tool storage place.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Martynho
No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer: 407
Rade tank

Pretty much on the money ref the Rade tank vs other solutions. I also had some grommet sealing issues on the breather and the main spigot. Now sorted. In fairness to Rade this was one of his prototypes and he got feedback on the problem and he has now sorted it. Besides he's a top chap

I also find loaded up it is a bit of a pain to fill. On trips I tend to keep it full up but not use it unless I have to so it is a range extender for me as I run more into reserve range than I ordinarily would.

It is the most elegant solution out there and the weight is carried perfectly. It has not moved in over 30,000kms of abuse in Chile/Argentina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unruled View Post
Had some leakage issues with the rade setup. It's fine now but the stock grommets for the ventilation dried out within weeks, making them poor fitting plastic bushes rather than grommets, and sloshing-about-fuel wasn't impressed with the resulting (poor) sealing capacity, especially with a full tank. Glueing them in place fixed the problem, but it was a bit of a nuisance. Also keep in mind that you need to remove the seat to refuel. Fine in regular trim, but with luggage strapped to the back it becomes a bit of a faff. Makes you really use it as back-up fuel rather than a range extender, which was the initial point. Also, you NEED to route the breather tube by the head stock, or it will overflow during breaking/acceleration and what not. Not an issue, just something Rade warned us for, you shouldn't presume to know better. We all did, we all failed.

Other than that it served me brilliantly during my 10.000km road trip this summer. I chose rade's solution because it is a hundred times more elegant, you'd never know the bike is packing 31 liters. I do also have a single exhaust (gpr rally system) so either setup was possible. It is plastic but the tank itself is absolutely bombproof, and the location keeps it sheltered from the big spills at any rate. Chose very conciously and all things considered do not regret my choice.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
PHXAdventure OP
Adventurer

I have also delt with CJ and would really like to support him and his products

As far as the underseat system, Id prefer to keep my ABS so that wont work,
Im gonna have to Email CJ some pics and see if my racks will clear his Extermal Storage Tank
Shawn
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXAdventure View Post
Im gonna have to Email CJ some pics and see if my racks will clear his Extermal Storage Tank
Shawn

What racks do you have. One other thing to mention. If you have Touratech racks you will have to have the rear brace bar moved lower. I got a local shop to do this and tank fits no problem and rack still worked fine.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
PHXAdventure OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
What racks do you have. One other thing to mention. If you have Touratech racks you will have to have the rear brace bar moved lower. I got a local shop to do this and tank fits no problem and rack still worked fine.
Not sure if these are the stock racks or what
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Very happy with my Adventure Tank. 10k miles on and off road--no problems.

FWIW
Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Jesse racks...?

....neither side mount will work. You would have a better chance of modifying CJs to suit Jesses. I built my own side storage box to replace the left pipe and eventually fitted Safaris. I think these are actually bottomless. ...at a price. ...i plan ahead to only have to lift or push the bike when they are near empty. When full they make me feel my age.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Shawn
If you lose the sas, you can move the abs unit there...
Old 08-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure if these are the stock racks or what
Not the TT racks. KTM racks I think and look like there would be enough space without have to get the rear brace lowered.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,980
My Neduro tank worked just fine with KTM racks....I don't like the idea of a metal gas tank. Plastic is much more forgiving. I sold my Neduro tank cause I like the rotopax idea better. Rotopax can be removed easy, has tons of mounting options etc.
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
My Neduro/Adv tank bracket bent over time, and is now self clearancing against the swingarm. I've tried bending it out, shimming out the tank, nothing works very well. The bracket is too flimsy.

I would not buy this tank again unless it had a re-designed bracket.
Tigcraft Supermono (Formula, 450)
'90 FZR400
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote