hayduke357
hayduke357

Oddometer: 464
hayduke357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Yeah, 1776, engle 110 cam and some ratio rockers, prolly throw some moly rods at it.
Try to find a stock low miles case, most the repops are garbage.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by santaferider View Post
Any first hand owner experience here?

Considering one for the wife.
They're certainly nice looking cars. I glanced at one the other day when I was at a VW dealer.

Oh yeah- I was going to bump your sfogliatelle thread with a picture of the ones I just made from scratch- but I think I'll hold off till they turn out better. Maybe next time.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,313
I have a 2012 CC R Line with 32,000 miles on it. I like it.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I have a 2012 CC R Line with 32,000 miles on it. I like it.
How many miles did you put on your GTI? Over 100k in 2-3 years, right?
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,696
i haven't been around the CC, but IMO VW offers a whole lotta car for the money.
i bought a model that was completely built & assembled in Germany, not sure about the CC in that regard.
fine looking car tho.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,282
The square steering wheel option is a must have.

Bongolia screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 11:52 AM
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Sat in one yesterday @ NAIAS and was impressed by the fit and finish and how comfortable both the front and back seats were.

Its just a nice looking car. Reminds me of a smaller Benz CLS.
Fleece Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke357 View Post

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Captain Obvious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Very nice car. The cheapest of the 4 door coupe design genre. The 2.0T that's placed in 90% of the CC's has won boatloads of industry and auto media awards of the years. My wife's DD (not a CC) has the 2.0T with the DSG 6 speed and it's a crazy fun power train. Fit, finish, and materials that blow the competition out of the water. VW's dealer network and reliability can be iffy at times though.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
07 2.0T passat wagon here.. sometimes i feel bad because it rolls at 90mph with ease
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
How many miles did you put on your GTI? Over 100k in 2-3 years, right?
I drive between 50K-60K a year for work. My GTi had about 160K when it got traded in. The GTi has the same drive train as my CC. 2.0T with a 6 speed manual. I have to say I had problems with the 2.0T in the GTi. It was an oil burner, not dramatic but about 1 qt/4K miles. Plus the valve train developed carboninzation problems. Cost about $2K to get it all cleaned up. I'm sure the oil burning led to the carbon build up issues. VW would not cover it because, I'm usually out of warranty in less than 6 months. These engines have direct injection and therefore, the fuel is not flowing past the valves keeping them clean.

My new CC has the same engine and I'm hoping a few more years of refinement. At over 30K miles it uses an insignificant amount of oil at 10K mile drain intervals. I also like that this motor has a timing chain, the GTi had a timing belt (which is expensive to replace). The car is running smooth and although not as fun to drive as the GTi, it's much more comfortable and quiet. And with the R Line package, it's still sporty and will quickly pass a truck at 60mph, with a quick downshift to 4th. The friendly local deputy sheriff clocked me at 81mph yesterday, as I was pulling back into the right hand lane. Did I mention these cars can be expensive to drive?

I will say the best VW I've owned was the the Jetta GLi before my GTi. That car had the VR6 with a 6 speed manual. 200K miles in four years with nothing but oil changes, tires, one engine sensor and few misc light bulbs.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,696
the VW service guys here in "my" dealership openly acknowledge the 2.0T's propensity for burning a bit of oil, and my 2011 Tiguan does get a little rattle-y now and again (clock @ 20K now so only three oil changes thus far).
having said that, i've only detected a small change in oil levels so far, in spite of any sounds coming from the motor. i did go so far as to add maybe a cup of oil once, and it did make a difference for me. it also seems to help if i let the car warm up for a minute or two. (no brainer)

the 2.0T is highly acclaimed and seems to be VW's current flagship motor. the CC is not a game-changer, but again, is a LOT of car for the money. hopefully, the dealership in your town is a good one for after-purchase care, customer service, etc.- the VW dealer i bought my car from is really great, in all regards.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Captain Obvious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post

I drive between 50K-60K a year for work. My GTi had about 160K when it got traded in. The GTi has the same drive train as my CC. 2.0T with a 6 speed manual. I have to say I had problems with the 2.0T in the GTi. It was an oil burner, not dramatic but about 1 qt/4K miles. Plus the valve train developed carboninzation problems. Cost about $2K to get it all cleaned up. I'm sure the oil burning led to the carbon build up issues. VW would not cover it because, I'm usually out of warranty in less than 6 months. These engines have direct injection and therefore, the fuel is not flowing past the valves keeping them clean.

My new CC has the same engine and I'm hoping a few more years of refinement. At over 30K miles it uses an insignificant amount of oil at 10K mile drain intervals. I also like that this motor has a timing chain, the GTi had a timing belt (which is expensive to replace). The car is running smooth and although not as fun to drive as the GTi, it's much more comfortable and quiet. And with the R Line package, it's still sporty and will quickly pass a truck at 60mph, with a quick downshift to 4th. The friendly local deputy sheriff clocked me at 81mph yesterday, as I was pulling back into the right hand lane. Did I mention these cars can be expensive to drive?

I will say the best VW I've owned was the the Jetta GLi before my GTi. That car had the VR6 with a 6 speed manual. 200K miles in four years with nothing but oil changes, tires, one engine sensor and few misc light bulbs.
You probably already know all of this, but even if you do, it helps explain further for the thread...

Your GTI had the 2.0T FSI, which typically has oil consumption and intake carbon build-up issues. Many speculate both of these issues are due to the PCV system design. Neither are the end of the world, as the rate of oil consumption is low, and there are a number of ways to address the carbon build-up (for which your $2K bill is the highest I've ever heard for the problem).

Your CC has the 2.0T TSI - while 95% the same engine as the FSI - has some updates including a PCV system re-design that seems to have alleviated both the oil consumption and carbon build-up issues of the FSI.

Oh, and if you get on the oil geek BITOG forum, most there would recommend a 5K interval on either of the 2.0T's, due to shearing issues that thins the oil. The 2.0T is hard on oil. I use the 5K interval, but it sounds like with the mileage you racked on your GTI maybe it's not the issue that the 2.0T oil analysis reports make it sound like.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: