Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I got the new MS in today and put it on. Yea, it's the stocker and expensive. I looked on ebay and other places for a used one but could not find one for it or off of another bike that may work, so I did this way to save time.
However I will take the old one and try to find someone to sleeve it for future use. I think that would be the best way, a good brass or even better a stainless steel sleeve will last forever.
To anyone thinking about sending there's out, be sure to send them pictures before hand, that way your bike is not down for a month as in my case (this is prime riding weather here in AZ).
good luck.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
A one finger clutch pull is worth its weight in gold.

Still not getting this as it offers nothing in the way of an upgrade. All negatives only.
Besides pricing and a small increase in stiffness the SD MC offers a lot of positives, the piston size is 16 not 10.5, it's radial which means no weird angle of piston to the assembly (hence the wearing of the original), in addition you can see the oil level while riding.......Furthermore, the Superdukes don't suffer from MC failures like our bikes...
Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,675
I doubt you could call it a epidemic of failures, the slaves go more often and thousands of KTM and Huskys are running around with 9.0, 9,5 and 10.5 Maguras with few and far between problems. I recall the guy trying to fix his clutch basket/plate problems with a SD master and still believe he was addressing his overgeared bike with a mod that didn't address his issue at all.

Increasing the pressure at the lever by going to a bigger master piston doesn't do anything at the clutch itself, or the slave. It only makes it functionally harder to use. The 9.0 master has no effect on the engagement range or anything except being more comfortable to use. The entire charm of a hydro clutch is self adjusting and easier pull than a cable. if I wasn't getting thousands of miles out of these I might see some point to the SD but I am. I have 4 9.0s on 4 different well used bikes and nary a single flaw.

If I ever pick up a SD I'll be swapping the master ASAP. I've felt it, it takes a considerable force to use it. No thanks.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
I doubt you could call it a epidemic of failures, the slaves go more often and thousands of KTM and Huskys are running around with 9.0, 9,5 and 10.5 Maguras with few and far between problems. I recall the guy trying to fix his clutch basket/plate problems with a SD master and still believe he was addressing his overgeared bike with a mod that didn't address his issue at all.

Increasing the pressure at the lever by going to a bigger master piston doesn't do anything at the clutch itself, or the slave. It only makes it functionally harder to use. The 9.0 master has no effect on the engagement range or anything except being more comfortable to use. The entire charm of a hydro clutch is self adjusting and easier pull than a cable. if I wasn't getting thousands of miles out of these I might see some point to the SD but I am. I have 4 9.0s on 4 different well used bikes and nary a single flaw.

If I ever pick up a SD I'll be swapping the master ASAP. I've felt it, it takes a considerable force to use it. No thanks.
I went with the SD MC because unlike your experience I had 3 oem MC failures in 45k km (that's about 30k miles). To me the SD lever action is not stiff at all but then again I'm 270lb 6'10". Different strokes for different folkes...
Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #35
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
About a 40-50% reduction in lever pull. It is only good, no downside. Why anyone goes stiffer is a mystery to me.

I did it as a performance mod, my OEM masters were fine and I sold them as used parts. All my KTMs and Huskys with Magura masters got a 9.0, including 3 950s. Never a problem with any of them, worth doing even when you don't "need" it.
Great information Navin, you've got a convert. I have to place a parts order with KTM. You don't know what model these were originally on or have a part number (so I can compare prices). Also just want to confirm that it will fit straight up to my 03 950 Adventure without to much modification. Cheers from Oz, Glenn.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #36
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,675
You can find them on ebay or from any Magura dealer. I think the post 05 RFS bikes came with these stock. You may need to swap your light switch to one with more clearance. I use the common Sicass Racing style. It is thinner in width so you get more room on the bars. Common to install on the USA EXCs as they have a huge switch too. The Sicass EXC switch plugged right into my SE.

Navin screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 02:40 PM
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #37
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
Why didn't anybody think of it?

You could by part No#60002044000 which is the faulty part and part#50302032000 which is the piston with seals and be done with it. Second best solution to resleeving. Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #38
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
From my understanding it's the body that goes, not really the seal. It has been done and reports of the new seal and piston only lasting a year or so.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
You could by part No#60002044000 which is the faulty part and part#50302032000 which is the piston with seals and be done with it. Second best solution to resleeving. Cheers.
I wish
60002044000 is only the clamp half (with mirror mount hole).
60002030000 is the complete master cyl assembly (~$300 from Munn).

All the other bits and pieces (lever, cover, piston, etc) can be sourced seperately, but only way to get a new m/c is to buy the complete assembly.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
From my understanding it's the body that goes, not really the seal. It has been done and reports of the new seal and piston only lasting a year or so.
That's seems to what happened to mine... the Soft Aluminum Bore just does not hold up... so I just replaced the Unit with the Radial 16 (with viewable reservoir) Accossato unit....been fine since.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #41
gefr
Life is a trip

Damn you are all right.

Only the mirror clamp. If it brakes the master cylinder will probably be damaged as well. These guys in Austria knew their job very well.
Cheers.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
You don't have to spend $300 for a complete assembly.

I bought the magura 10.5 from my local shop for $140. This is the stock size. (CJ's clutch cooler bolts right back onto this)

https://www.denniskirk.com/magura/10...er.p571733.prd

Another member posted that the Magura 9.0 was a good clutch master to use for a lighter pull. It is only $160.

https://www.denniskirk.com/magura/9-...der.571733.prd

You can probably get better prices from Munn.

You already have the clamp half with mirror mount on your old/bad master cylinder. All you have to do is push out the pin holding the clamp half onto your old master and also push out the pin on your new master and swap the clamp. That is what I did. Took all of 2 minutes maybe.

The clamp half is not worth $150. You do lose the clutch safety switch by going this route though. My safety switch was already gone by the time I did this. I don't miss it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
I wish
60002044000 is only the clamp half (with mirror mount hole).
60002030000 is the complete master cyl assembly (~$300 from Munn).

All the other bits and pieces (lever, cover, piston, etc) can be sourced seperately, but only way to get a new m/c is to buy the complete assembly.

-M
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
gefr
Life is a trip

Another possibility.

I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Br...item4ab3817f04

seems this product is from China. Radial master as well.

I wonder if brake pumps are interchangeable with clutch pumps.
Could they withstand clutch Magura blood?
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 06:29 AM
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #44
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75monza View Post
You don't have to spend $300 for a complete assembly.

I bought the magura 10.5 from my local shop for $140. This is the stock size. (CJ's clutch cooler bolts right back onto this)

https://www.denniskirk.com/magura/10...er.p571733.prd

Another member posted that the Magura 9.0 was a good clutch master to use for a lighter pull. It is only $160.

https://www.denniskirk.com/magura/9-...der.571733.prd
Yes, yes, but...
As mentioned before, the standard Magura units do not clear the left-hand switch pod. I was lucky enough to find a good used stock unit when my original went bad (and returned the standard I had just received). When the replacement goes bad, I will likely get a standard AND then have to replace the switch pod as well.

-M
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #45
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Brombo

-M