ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #46
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I am 3 days south east from you if you need anything brought back stateside as I am headed that way.

Also, if you want to fly to SF, grab my truck and trailer, drive it down pick me and your bike up, bring everything back to SF, I have a frame in my garage that will get you on the road.

YOU DID SEE THIS RIGHT? DO YOU NEED HELP?
Good stuff man good stuff
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #47
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Okay, I made it. Does anybody know where he is?
I'm hanging here with some Mexican bikers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I'm still in town. I probably will be for the next couple of days. I like it here. If you're still around, stop by. El Dorado motel, room 11. I think it's a right on the main drag about a block before the shore. Or just look for a guy with a bad beard and Chuck Taylors wandering the streets.
did you guys find each other
airborndad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #48
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 13,971
I can't hardly look away from this thread....
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #49
rockjunkie
...lost

Oddometer: 33
Bummer. I'm sure you'll get the assistance you need from an inmate or two.
rockjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #50
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,682
White boy living in TJ, I have a mini cargo van, looks like your bike will clear the height limit now... I'll PM you my MX celly and US celly. Call me if there's anything I can help with.

Jeremy
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #51
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,014
Sorry for taking my time here, guys. This SHOULD be some sort of a big deal, but I can't seem to kick up my sense of urgency here. Just been hanging out and checking out the night life in town, here. I quite like it here and have actually been entertaining the idea of grabbing an apartment or something in town in future... daydreaming and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
buying an inexpensive/used pick up or van may add another headache for ya.

your best bet is find someone from the u.s (lots of them in the small coastal towns) who is returning to the u.s and has room in their vehicle to haul your bike.
I understand where you're coming from. I had planned on buying a truck to live/work out of on the west coast for a bit until I can get a better plan going, anyway. The only reason I was focusing so much on this route is that this is the most controllable, and thus reliable, method to getting me out of this jam. If I don't stumble upon someone's help, this is a way that I can make sure I get done what needs to get done. I have since been overwhelmed with the offers and suggestions thrown out there by the Inmates so this plan is more or less on the back burner until further plans get ironed out. There are quite a few truck for sale along the west coast (I'm lookin for a Toyota, ext. cab and long bed with cap.) and so it doesn't seem like a totally unrealistic option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i reposted on KLR650.net

i also PM'd Eagle Mike on KLR650.net since he hasn't been active on ADV in a couple of years.
good luck.
and i have a couch you can crash at if you make it to L.A.
Wow, thanks for taking the lead on that one. I hadn't considered contacting Mike. To be honest, he seems like such a busy guy and somewhat of a celebrity amongst the KLR community that I'm sure he doesn't need another bum schlepping a KLR-in-a-bag up to his front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Diesel View Post
I have a complete 08 frame. Dont know if they are different from the older one's. 100.00....JD
For sure, man. I'll keep in touch once I do some investigating on compatability. I know that the KLRs are fairly similar as far as frame and engine. For all I know the 08 frames may be stronger or of higher quality. Top of the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Post up a few pics of the fracture and us engineering types can give you a pretty good guess as to the failure mode and starting point of the cracks in your frame.
Sorry, I haven't got any good shots of the fractures. By now it's kind of a moot point, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
If it was me I would become an instant member of Bajanomad (I already am) and ask on the forums for a ride and try to take the bike.
I did something like that, but it was self inflicted.

Don
I'm on it!

Quote:
If you get the bike to Ensenada...
Where are ya, dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOSOTO View Post
...I'm offering up my obligatory, "...dude...", right about now...way out of my jurisdiction of miracles...
That's about it right there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
As always, mi amigo, mi casa es su casa...

And a trip to SoCal for a rescue isn't out of the question.
Once again, thank you sir. I don't know that I'm gonna need you to make that kind of run, but I appreciate the offer. That'd be a hell of a ride.

Quote:
Okay, I am in Baja...
Well, where are ya?

Quote:
Okay, I made it...

Dude....

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
did you guys find each other
....nein....

If I missed Wheatwacker, I'm really bummed out. I came into town during the blackout and just had no way to get ahold of anyone. As of now I'm just working on spreading the word, checking leads, and just kinda enjoying my time here. I'll keep you all posted, for sure. My priority right now is getting north, WITH the bike would be nice. It seems like there are gringos headed that way every day so if it takes a few days or a week to find someone that can move some parts that would save me TONS of time and money. So it goes...
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #52
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

And I just wanted to take a minute to thank Jettin Jim. He's been workin pretty good behind the scenes to provide me with as many options as possible. Good on ya, man. I owe ya.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #53
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,319
Eagle Mike PM'd me back from KLR650.net and said he has some frames or he could repair your frame. you just need to get to San Diego.

he said he hasn't been on ADV for a long time and now forgot his password.

sooooo.... go on KLR650.net and PM him http://www.klr650.net/forums/member.php?u=3594

or call him (if you can) or email him from his website.

http://www.eagle-m-e.com/

good luck buddy and come thru L.A. and i'll buy ya a beer or three.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #54
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,682
If we can get you to TJ, you can borrow my van. Just needs a battery that was stolen a month ago. Runs, will get you there and and back. Of I'm not going anything, ill put the pass seat back in and drive down witchu or just come get you. Price of gas only.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #55
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
If we can get you to TJ, you can borrow my van. Just needs a battery that was stolen a month ago. Runs, will get you there and and back. Of I'm not going anything, ill put the pass seat back in and drive down witchu or just come get you. Price of gas only.
Just gets betta!

Quote:
And I just wanted to take a minute to thank Jettin Jim. He's been workin pretty good behind the scenes to provide me with as many options as possible. Good on ya, man. I owe ya.
Shiiit no problemo bro... funny you and I are both think'n about chang'n bikes right now

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 04:55 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #56
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,838
Okay, we did miss each other. I cruised the main, cruised the side streets, asked questions and no sign of a klr. I'm in ensinada right now. I checked my mail, no Pm's, no emails and then headed north.
I would go to a truck stop, put up a sign and offer money to transport the bike north. If you get it close to the border, there are people here that can get it across the border. Then put a post on craigslist rideshare or uship or rent a u haul or ask for help here. If you get it to SF, I have a frame.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #57
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Okay, we did miss each other. I cruised the main, cruised the side streets, asked questions and no sign of a klr. I'm in ensinada right now. I checked my mail, no Pm's, no emails and then headed north.
I would go to a truck stop, put up a sign and offer money to transport the bike north. If you get it close to the border, there are people here that can get it across the border. Then put a post on craigslist rideshare or uship or rent a u haul or ask for help here. If you get it to SF, I have a frame.
Sucks that you spent the time, money and gas to go WAY outta the way to go help the guy and no connection
but at least you get some good karma points to use in the future
and 2 thumbs up from me
airborndad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #58
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:

Damn, I'm sorry man. I was hopin to hook up and grab a few beers and tacos if nothin else. It sucks that the blackout happened at just the right/wrong time. I couldn't even access your profile to get your email. In hindsight, I should have gone to any of the other KLR forums where I'm sure you're a member. Ahh well.

I'm getting the word out as much as I can and just seein what comes my way at this point. I've been talking with beechum1 out of Tijuana and I may have something sorted out to, at the very least, get me and the bike TO the border. Only time will tell, however I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the time and effort you put into scouring the desert for this burnt out WOP.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #59
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,120
Wheatwacker comes right by you and don't connect!?

You really are not that bothered are you?

Well good for you I guess. Pretty laid back attitude Man. But you missed a lot of free awesome help.

I'm out.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #60
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
It sucks that the blackout happened at just the right/wrong time. I couldn't even access your profile to get your email.

Most other sites were shut down too.

You'll figure it out.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote