Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I got my Gold Volar Chain from D2moto with a 40% off promo. It was like $28 shipped, I had to try it out. It was done after 6k miles. It developed a nasty tightspot. Kept it clean and well lubed all the time.

I ride in varied conditions including sandpits, mudbogs and interstate highways at 70mph.

For the value, I haven't found anything better than RM ATV's Primary Drive O-ring chain. I have over 12k miles on it with only a few adjustments done, no tight/loose spots.
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Bump for more opinions...
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
I got my Gold Volar Chain from D2moto with a 40% off promo. It was like $28 shipped, I had to try it out. It was done after 6k miles. It developed a nasty tightspot. Kept it clean and well lubed all the time.

I ride in varied conditions including sandpits, mudbogs and interstate highways at 70mph.

For the value, I haven't found anything better than RM ATV's Primary Drive O-ring chain. I have over 12k miles on it with only a few adjustments done, no tight/loose spots.
Any new updates? My stock chain is just about done (almost 25,000km on it so far), but, it has been riding 90% street and 10% trail. It only ever got cleaned / lubbed after rain (clean with WD40, lube with some motorcycle chain-lube that my local dealer recommended).

I was looking at the D2Moto chains by Volar as well, great price from California, but, for only $15 more I can get an EK chain from A Vicious Cycle here in Canada ...

I will be ordering the chain tomorrow, so, if anyone can point me in the best direction before then, it would be great!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
Any new updates? My stock chain is just about done (almost 25,000km on it so far), but, it has been riding 90% street and 10% trail. It only ever got cleaned / lubbed after rain (clean with WD40, lube with some motorcycle chain-lube that my local dealer recommended).

I was looking at the D2Moto chains by Volar as well, great price from California, but, for only $15 more I can get an EK chain from A Vicious Cycle here in Canada ...

I will be ordering the chain tomorrow, so, if anyone can point me in the best direction before then, it would be great!
Ive been driving cross country with the rocky mountain primary drive O-ring chains. Got 15000 miles out of the first set, didn't need replacement but replaced it anyway before another 5000 mile trip. Right now my 2nd set has 6k and has only been adjusted once. I haven't found a better value chain. The volar chains are junk in comparison.
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
For your thumper. Has anyone tried them? The few reports on the interwebs are good, but I am still dubious. Prices are great, and I can get Kawasaki green for my KLX650 .

TIA

Bernie
I was going to buy one, but I read a review somewhere and it showed pics of the chain, not sure if it was the master link, but the link snapped instead of bending. Now, i don't know why anyone would test a link to see if it snapped instead of bending, because I don't know how much side loading a link gets, but I ended up getting an RK. Just piece of mind.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
I was going to buy one, but I read a review somewhere and it showed pics of the chain, not sure if it was the master link, but the link snapped instead of bending. Now, i don't know why anyone would test a link to see if it snapped instead of bending, because I don't know how much side loading a link gets, but I ended up getting an RK. Just piece of mind.
There should be little side loading on a chain unless the sprockets are out of alignment.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
I ended up getting an RK. Just piece of mind
I am reading this thread because of what just happened to my chain.

RK for piece of mind!!! Well 2 weeks ago my RK gold oring chain broke at 60 mph outside of Spokane, I had a spare clip link in my kit and was able to continue on.The side plate opposite the clip link broke in half and the clip was still attached to the remaining post on the chain!!! It had about 12000kms on the chain.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
There should be little side loading on a chain unless the sprockets are out of alignment.
Agreed, but they purposely took vicegrips to them to bend or snap them, and there is NO WAY this type of sideforce at such an extreme bend could happen on the bike.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #24
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I am reading this thread because of what just happened to my chain.

RK for piece of mind!!! Well 2 weeks ago my RK gold oring chain broke at 60 mph outside of Spokane, I had a spare clip link in my kit and was able to continue on.The side plate opposite the clip link broke in half and the clip was still attached to the remaining post on the chain!!! It had about 12000kms on the chain.
Now THAT'S what I call piece of mind.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
Agreed, but they purposely took vicegrips to them to bend or snap them, and there is NO WAY this type of sideforce at such an extreme bend could happen on the bike.
This is true.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Hell, I'm gonna give it a shot. My last chain cost way more and I only got 5K out of it. What doesn't kill me ... If it goes and does kill me, well hell, I don't have any retirement money anyhow. I'll buy a good masterlink since that seems to be an issue and just keep a good eye on the chain. I'll report back from the graveyard. The price really is too good to ignore and since I'm way over my head with scoot repairs right now lets see what happens.
I should probably add that while messing with my chain my watch stopped working (dead battery) and I totally forgot about my sons baseball practice and my grandsons soccer practice since I was hell bent on getting the bikes maintained. Karma can be a bitch.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 08:15 PM
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Well, so much for value. I got maybe 5k out of this chain, and it was noisy for the last 1K. Disappointed. Going to stick with the EK xring from now on.
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
I can finally report back. I put the Valor chain on just 1 year ago (DR650) and about 6K ago. I'd developed a few links that were frozen over the last 500 miles I'm guessing. I ride through the winter here in NY so I don't expect to do much better than that with the minimal maintenance I do on the chain. I really need to clean it more in the winter but probably only cleaned it 3 times this winter. So I ordered another Volar kit and was installing it today. $62 from D2Moto this time since they had $25 off. While crimping the master link I had a problem, almost like the pins we're long enough. I'll have to find a replacement link tomorrow, hopefully not going to be a problem. All in all I'm happy with the way the chain held up. Not a lot of stretch and it seemed to work fine. For comparison my chain previous to the last Volar was an RK and I only got the same mileage out of that set but it cost more than twice as much.
I'll post back if I have a problem fining a master link to fit.

No problem with the master link I picked up today, worked fine.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 07:18 PM
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #29
Calguard
<3 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 1
Volar Chain

I have installed one on my XR650L seems as if I need to remove a link or two new front and rear sprockets after a short 25 mile ride the chain required readjustment
Calguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #30
will_kc
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have 3K on a volar 520 using a clip link. The link started to bind, so gave it a good greasing and everything seeing to be ok. Have not made any adjustments yet. Yep it's a cheap chain, but seems to be holding up so far.
Keep it lubed up!
will_kc is offline   Reply With Quote