ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
YellowjacketD37 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Brave enough to ride the Big Bear Run? June 27-28, 2015

It's getting to be that time of the year again when those in the know start to tremble and ask the question, "Should I or should I not go for a plaque this year at the Big Bear Trail Riders Big Bear Run?"

It's actually an AMA sanctioned, District 37 two day Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Ride on June 27-28, 2015, held at Big Bear Lake, CA, starting from the Convention Center. On Saturday there is a hard route, easy route, and adventure bike route. On Sunday, there's usually just an easy route. Most riders that rode that hard route are bushed and can't ride Sunday too.

On Saturday, if you make it through all the checks on the hard route and collect all seven tickets and turn them in when you get back in the afternoon or evening, you'll earn a coveted plaque.

The hard trails consist of all the hard stuff (black diamond trails) up in Big Bear and some in Lake Arrowhead. Sometimes the route goes down to the desert, making things twice as challenging because of the heat. Think of all the nasty trails like Gold Mountain, Redonda Ridge, Belly Ache, John Bull, Pussy Cat Hill and then add a handful of jeeps with their doors open on those trails that won't let you by, downed bikes strewn all over the trails, dust, boulders and solid rocks with no dirt, plus a 200 mile day, and you have an idea of what your day will be like. Oh, and there are no roll charts anymore. You're just following your downloaded GPS. Sounds like a load of fun, right?

Here's the link to the flyer:

http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...BTR2015BBR.pdf

I used to be the District 37 Dual Sport Newsletter Editor, so I did write-ups each year about the event. A young girl, Missy Glassett, won the plaque on her plated CRF230F with her dad. A former District 37 W1 Women's expert racer, Amy Hasten, won the plaque more than once on her WR250R with her father-in-law, John Kearney. I included their stories in the newsletter. As I kept writing the newsletter, my writing got better and the articles about the Big Bear Run got longer.

If you want to know what the event is all about, read the articles and see what the riders go through to earn the plaque. Read THEIR OWN stories.

Here are the articles I put together about the Big Bear Run. I think you'll find them entertaining. You'll want to read them in order to see how the riders progressed over the years and if they achieved their goals of winning a plaque:

July/Aug 2008: http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...Newsletter.pdf

Sept/Oct 2009: http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...Newsletter.pdf

Sept/Oct 2010: http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...Newsletter.pdf

Sept/Oct 2011: http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...Newsletter.pdf

Sept/Oct 2012: http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...Newsletter.pdf

Please note that the easy route on this ride isn't all that easy. Don't think you can take your wife on it if she's used to easy jeep roads. There are sometimes a black diamond trail that's put on the easy route that I can't ride. I have to find a way around it by using a map or my GPS. Just a word of caution.

If you have any questions, post them here. It would be fun to hear from some of the riders who have won plaques or tried for them in the past.

There will be some vendors at the Convention Center parking lot Friday afternoon/evening. You really want to arrive then to sign up if you're doing the hard ways. Don't think you can show up Saturday morning and sign up at 6 a.m. and get a plaque. You really need to be ON THE TRAIL by 6 a.m. if you are going for a plaque. It's often a 12 hour day for most of the plaque winners, except for the super studs.

Good luck!
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,094
4play and I are thinking hard about this. I am just the weak link as I'm fat and old and fall down a lot! Funny but true..

Might need to train for next year, but sure would like to give it a go.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Jbstevens44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Does it start and stop at the same sport each morning and night (by the camps)
Jbstevens44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
EZ300
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbstevens44 View Post
I will do it if you're up for it Jeremy!
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
YellowjacketD37 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbstevens44 View Post
Yes, it does, at the Convention Center.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #6
Jbstevens44
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowjacketD37 View Post
Yes, it does, at the Convention Center.
I've found a few videos on you tube looks like all jeep roads with lots of rocks. Any single track ?
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #7
YellowjacketD37 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yeah, there's some single track some years too. Belly Ache is single track and next to a cliff with a drop off a looong way down. Don't want to be making any mistakes there.

You have to watch out with throwing single track in with over 250 riders going for plaques. It could cause a bottleneck really easily in the above situation.

Redonda Ridge isn't jeep roads. Neither is the trail down into Devil's Hole with the creek crossing. That's definitely single track.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #8
Jbstevens44
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowjacketD37 View Post
Oh yeah, there's some single track some years too. Belly Ache is single track and next to a cliff with a drop off a looong way down. Don't want to be making any mistakes there.

You have to watch out with throwing single track in with over 250 riders going for plaques. It could cause a bottleneck really easily in the above situation.

Redonda Ridge isn't jeep roads. Neither is the trail down into Devil's Hole with the creek crossing. That's definitely single track.
Your starting to talk me into this. What are the rules for street legal ? I'm from Arizona and the bike is registered street legal here but I know the rules are different there.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #9
palada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Recommended!

I did this last year and I'd like to do it this year, but my wedding anniversary is on the same weekend. I got serious stink-eye when I proposed Big Bear as our destination. Might as well have asked if I could have another woman along

I did the 'easy' routes, but there were a few places that were definitely not easy.
palada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #10
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
What is the mileage between fuel stops? My stock tank is good for just about 70 miles. I would like to at least make the effort to get a plaque. From the looks of the past rides, it almost seems like a desert race with hundreds of guys starting at once. No roll charts is kind of shaky. I would be bringing a paper map just in case....

Is anyone camping? I'm actually thinking of tent camping at Holcomb for the weekend and doing both days. My wife is still not sure if she wants to come.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #11
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
After some more discussion with Carol, I'm thinking of staying at Best Western and just focus on finishing out the one hard day on Saturday. Even if I don't get a plaque it would be worth the effort.

This would be different than rides in the past. I'm thinking there are so many guys riding this thing that the goal would be head out early Saturday and just keep moving. Bring my own quick lunch and don't make many stops.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12 PM   #12
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 227
Yeah but is it big bike friendly?

I did this about 4 years ago on my TE610 and went the wrong way (up) John Bull trail. But did the rest easy. I seriously don't think I wanna be playing around on my big ole 990 Adventure. Do you get many big bike riders? I only seem to remember a bunch of 310's.

ps, my wife will not be joining me on this one for sure. :)

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote