ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #1
motocross42 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Advice needed. Riding from Arizona to Oregon byway of Cali

Hey I'm looking at taking 7-8 trip to get from AZ to OR through California next July. I haven't riding in Cali before and I'm wanting some input on great roads, any awesome dirt tracks with be appreciated as well. Cities I'm wanting to go through are Malibu, Big Sur, San Fran, and the Red Woods. What do you guys think? If there is a thread like this please give me the link. Thanks!
motocross42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,193
The cities you want to see don't have much dirt riding, but that route would be really awesome. Something to keep in mind is that rising hot air over California draws in the marine layer (fog) during summer. The coast will be a lot colder and foggier than you would think. You will need warm gear, as well as the summer gear for the hot areas you will be crossing.

The coast is also a popular place in July, so don't expect to ride fast. There will be some traffic, including motorhomes. That ride is still absolutely worth it, though.

For dirt tracks, the Sierra Nevada mountains is the place to go. I think you will have enough time to detour away from the coast to spend a coupe days riding in the hills. I would suggest heading inland at Monterey, crossing the Sierra over and back by 2 different routes, then continue your coastal journey from San Francisco. An example, with a wide variety of terrain, might be to go through Mariposa to Yosemite Park, and over Hwy 120. 395 north to 89, visit Lake Tahoe, then take Hwy 50 into San Francisco.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mont...9295!3e0?hl=en

Once you nail down a route, I can offer lots of ideas on where to stay rather cheaply, good restaurants, etc.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #3
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,475
Where in AZ will you be starting from? AZ to Cali is mostly pretty boring.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #4
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,404
What are you riding? That will make a big difference in recommendations.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #5
motocross42 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm leaving from Sedona. Figured I would take the interstate into cali to cover a lot of ground in a short time. Thinking about it the southern part of the state doesn't matter as much as seeing San Francisco and the red woods. I definitely want to ride some epic backcountry roads. I'll be on a BMW 1200 gsa, ex pro-am motocross racer.
motocross42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #6
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,475
California surely has some epic roads but most of what I have ridden is pavement there. You being an ex-moto X racer I would imagine you'd want to take mostly dirt roads but here is a good route from Sedona to SLO. From there of course you make your way up through Big Sur.

Another way would be to check out Death Valley. Now is probably a good time since the temps are getting better. but that would put you on the east part of the Sequoia and you'd waste a lot of valuable time getting over to Big Sur.

Just some initial thoughts.