ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #496
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I know my way around the trails & fire roads at FH pretty well and I'm interested in spending a day riding, but not camping.
8am Wed morning at the main staging area work?
BTW, I don't have a plate, hope that's no problem?
Not sure what day I will make it out there, but 8am would be hard for me to make as it is about 2hr drive from my location and I'm not that early of a riser. I will be riding a DR350 (plated).
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #497
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
Not sure what day I will make it out there, but 8am would be hard for me to make as it is about 2hr drive from my location and I'm not that early of a riser. I will be riding a DR350 (plated).

I might still be up for something if it's tomorrow (overnight to Thurs). I'll probably come on my KLX250S unless the roads are real easy, then would bring my DR650. My left arm is in bad shape from a spill in Death Valley back in March so technical stuff is gonna be a problem. I'm more in it for the camping and just getting away from it all up in the trees than anything else. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #498
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I might still be up for something if it's tomorrow (overnight to Thurs). I'll probably come on my KLX250S unless the roads are real easy, then would bring my DR650. My left arm is in bad shape from a spill in Death Valley back in March so technical stuff is gonna be a problem. I'm more in it for the camping and just getting away from it all up in the trees than anything else. :)

Rob
One more reply to go to get to 1000 posts Rob G.....
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #499
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
One more reply to go to get to 1000 posts Rob G.....
Hahaha yeah really! I guess this is it.

Actually, I have a legitimate reply too (I don't post just to run up my post count).. I just realized they were talking about the Foresthill OHV area. I've been there, but it's a LOT farther from Reno than I had wanted to go. It hadn't registered before when I read the posts that that's where it was.

I'd be up for an overnighter somewhere in the mountains south of Soda Springs if somebody was interested.

Rob
Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #500
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Too Bad Rob G, I plan in driving up and camping in my van Wednesday morning sometime, and just meandering around. I've only rode there one time over 10 years ago, so I'm not familiar with the trails. Anyone is welcome to stop by. Look for a grey sprinter van with the Dakar logo on it.

Gerry
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #501
motofishman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I am taking a two day ride and camping, starting Sunday/Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday and camping, taking off from Foresthill then going north above hiway 80 or south below hiway 50, offroad of course. If anybody is interested i'll post the particulars here when I decide.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
motofishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #502
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

I'm going to continue my exploration of the Western States trail tomorrow. I am planning to be in Foresthill between 9 and 10. Then I will be heading out Mosquito ridge and jump on the trail near French Meadows. I'm going to check out the Red Star ridge (eastern) section. This is single track dirt. If anyone wants to go shoot me a message or post up here.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #503
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I'm going to continue my exploration of the Western States trail tomorrow. I am planning to be in Foresthill between 9 and 10. Then I will be heading out Mosquito ridge and jump on the trail near French Meadows. I'm going to check out the Red Star ridge (eastern) section. This is single track dirt. If anyone wants to go shoot me a message or post up here.
There is a lot of fun stuff there... I wish I could join you. The last time I went there I got stuck in the snow and had to turn around. Not the case this year tho...

Jeff G.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #504
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Western States - cont

So here is the next section of the Western States trail (called Red Star Ridge to Duncan Canyon on the Western States 100 site), I'll call Red Star Ridge. The entrance is off Mosquito Ridge Road just before the final descent to French Meadows Res.

The trail is single track dirt with several rocky sections. It is mostly easy class stuff with some intermediate.

A really good rider could probably get a big adventure bike through here but several sections would be a real chore. There were a few rocky loose climbs in the first third that were a handful for me on a 250. This stupid hill (which of coarse looks flat in the picture) was steep and loose and took me a couple tries.

Once you are farther up along the ridge it is consistently good with fantastic views both North and South.

I rode West to East and there are sections that would be challenging (at least for me) even if you rode East to West. There were a couple cool short ledge drops.

Eventually you come out on the Forest Service road that connects the back side of French Meadows with the Foresthill / Soda Springs road.

Then from here you can head North then back West to Robinson Flat.

This is an overall view of the ridge as seen from Little Bald Mountain lookout. French Meadows is visible behind the ridge to the South. The single track section starts on the right of the photo then crosses the ridge and meets up with the dirt road off the left edge of the photo.

Overall this ride is easier than the Duncan Creek section but still not really beginner easy. This is a truly fantastic dual sport ride. Starting at Foresthill you get 30 miles of twisty pavement going out Mosquito Ridge Road, then 8 miles of single track along Red Star Ridge, then about 10 miles of fun Forest Service dirt road back to the pavement at Robinson Flat, then back to Foresthill to complete the loop. It is definitely going on my list as one of my favorites in the area. Next time, I am planning on continuing East along the ridge to Lyon Ridge.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 10:45 PM
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #505
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Very good Dan!
To clear up though, on your last report you did the duncan creek section.
Here's where I am lost as I rode that 30 years ago...

The duncan creek trail (as I call it) 5.5 miles long, is actualy part of the western states...
Correct? And you discribed it well in that post according to my memory, but I seem to remember it following the creek at about 30 foot up higher than the water. Following duncan canyon, appearantly right out to the french meadows road you show in the pic.
So it's one in the same?

Wish I was riding these with you...I'm still working weekdays currently.
We did an 160 mile run from G/V to gold lake and back though, over the weekend.

That was as far as we got though as I lost the use of a clutch 10 miles short of gold lake. We were on rugged jeep trails at the time. Tore back on 49 with just 3 stop signs the whole way, so that made it easier to get back.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #506
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Yeah the Duncan creek section of the Western States trail is the section between Robinson Flat and the start of the Red Star Ridge section. The end of the Duncan Creek section comes out at the same spot on Mosquito ridge road where you start Red Star ridge (see the first picture above). The Duncan creek section is a steep downhill, then crosses the creek the climbs back up the other side. You can see the Duncan creek section on the map above (it is the brown trail that runs between my start point and my end point).
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #507
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Those look like really fun trails!

How old was that clutch cable when it broke? I've been thinking it may be time to replace the one on my DR650.

Rob
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #508
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Those look like really fun trails!

How old was that clutch cable when it broke? I've been thinking it may be time to replace the one on my DR650.
I had purchased a spare for my XR650L, assuming that I would have it for a long time before needing it. I rode the bike 35 miles to work with no issues, but while trying to leave I noticed clutch issues and determined that I only had about six good strands left. I don't know how they fail so quickly, but they seem to do that. I could have fixed it at the side of the road, but I rode all the way home instead, only using the clutch when I needed to stop, to get it back into first gear to get moving again. It was much easier to fix at home.

This reminds me that I should get another spare before I need it.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #509
Nips916
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Though I would check in in this thread. Long time Sacramento rider, first time poster. I might use this to setup some rides, maybe even some dual sport stuff. I try and get out every weekend with my buddy and explore as much new stuff as possible. We camped and rode Forrest hill last week and we're thinking about heading down to Hollister hills. Anyone been there?

Sent from my Evo 3D while trying to ride one handed.
Nips916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #510
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
local vintage japanese motorcycle swap meet

Yeah I rode up to Auburn saturday morning. Supposed to be improved with more events and such. Ran the battery dead on my camera, but here's most of what was there in the morning.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote