ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #526
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Western States - cont. - Lyon Ridge

So on with the exploration. Today I rode the next section of the Western States trail above Red Star Ridge called Lyon Ridge on the Western States Map. It starts just where the Red Star Ridge section ends, just as you cross over the Forest Service road that connects the back side above French Meadows with the Foresthill / Soda Springs Road. It starts off with a little singletrack switchback section then up onto the ridge and easy riding.

I thought this will be a breeze then after a mile and a bit you come to this.

I have a couple friends who race Tevis and they had warned me about this section. The Tevis riders call it Elephant Rock. It is a short down then up section of washed out loose trail with a very ugly large drop on the south (right) side. Apparently, there have been some spectacular accidents here. When I first looked at it, I thought maybe not a good idea especially as I was alone. But after I walked it, the section seemed doable and so instead of sitting around thinking too much I just did it. It's really not too bad but the consequences of a mistake could be severe. If you drop your bike off the right side, it is gone for good. So do it in one try and everything is cool. After this the ridge just rolls on and on with spectacular five star views off both sides.

The single track section is about 5.5 miles long and it has several tight switchback parts and some other loose rocky climbs and descents. I road it west to east and in fact even though there would be more overall descent I think east to west would be harder given some of the very loose steep stuff I went down. Eventually you come out near the Sierra crest on a road that if you turn left will take you back down to the Soda Springs road near the North Fork American bridge. You can see this junction on the map below in the upper right where there are 2 blue flags. I think the better choice however is to turn right here and follow this overgrown road down into the back off the upper French Meadows drainage. A short way down here I stopped at a small stream crossing to cool off.

At this crossing were about a hundred small butterflies. I think the males were the orange ones and the females the light purple / white ones.

This road eventually leads down to the gravel road off the back of French Meadows which you can follow back to the original cross road connector (back to Foresthill / Soda springs road), turn right here, head up the hill and you are back where you started the single track.
On the map the red arrow on the left is the start of the single track, the two blue arrows at the top right are the end of the single track. Everything else is a dirt road of varying degree of disrepair. The back side of French Meadows reservoir would be off the bottom of the map.

This section has some easy parts and some more demanding parts. The ride tops out over 7300 feet in elevation so even wrestling the bike up some of the switchbacks can be quite tiring. I am psyched because this was the last piece of the puzzle to connect back up to the upper roads I already know. Of the four sections of the Western States I have done, I would say the easiest is probably the Last Chance / Little Bald Mountain climb, then maybe Red Star Ridge, then Lyon Ridge (this section), and the hardest was Duncan Creek. Keep in mind what is hard for me may be easy for you.
All of these single track sections are legal to ride on plated 2 wheel vehicles. A small dual sport is the weapon of choice and I am stoked about how my WR handled things. I may get around to exploring some more of the Western States trail but the next higher section goes into the Granite Chief wilderness where all motors are illegal, and the lower sections are just going to be that much hotter now. Besides I think my clutch (and my back) could use a break. Go do em, they are all cool.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #527
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
OK, another week day I wish I was on the trail! Good job...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #528
jabreu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
local fun

This bridge is called Stevenson creek near Winters 01121631a-1.jpg
jabreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #529
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabreu View Post
This bridge 01121631a-1.jpg
That bridge has a good #...
There's a thread on how to post pics...
Let's see the bridge.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #530
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
Campfires

Hey does anybody understand exactly what the campfire restrictions are? The stuff I've read isn't terribly clear. On one hand, it sounds like you can't so much as smoke a cigarette outside of a building or car, and on the other, it sounds like campfires are fine in established campgrounds inside fire rings. My family and I were going to go camping this weekend and if we can't have a campfire or use a camp stove, there's little point.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #531
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

The campfire thing varies somewhat based on location. You can usually have a fire within the fire ring but during certain high fire danger periods, lots of campgrounds (at least in Cal) institute a no fire policy. I have a feeling this is going to be a bad fire year. Reportedly, some idiots throwing firecrakers started the large fire that is currently burning up on the North Fork American River at Yankee Jims. Not only is this one of my favorite riding and kayaking areas, there is no easy access for fire crews so I suspect this will make a real mess of a beautiful area. If indeed this is from typical careless BS, I would like to extend a hearty to the asshats who started it.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 01:06 AM
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #532
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
The campfire thing varies somewhat based on location. You can usually have a fire within the fire ring but during certain high fire danger periods, lots of campgrounds (at least in Cal) institute a no fire policy. I have a feeling this is going to be a bad fire year. Reportedly, some idiots throwing firecrakers started the large fire that is currently burning up on the North Fork American River at Yankee Jims. Not only is this one of my favorite riding and kayaking areas, there is no easy access for fire crews so I suspect this will make a real mess of a beautiful area. If indeed this is from typical careless BS, I would like to extend a hearty to the ashats who started it.
REALLY??? I was going to take Yankee Jim on the way up to Tahoe next week. I hope they are able to get it under control with the temps and winds...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #533
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
REALLY??? I was going to take Yankee Jim on the way up to Tahoe next week. I hope they are able to get it under control with the temps and winds...

JG
The Robber's Fire:
http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...ncident_id=666

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #534
Southbark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Dunlop Sport Bike night if anyone is interested

Sacramento HOOTERS BIKE NIGHT, July 12th Featuring MOTOGP TICKET SALES
DUNLOP SPONSORED BIKE NIGHT FEATURING MOTO GP TICKET SALES AND SIMS ENGINEERING AT HOOTERS !!!

Join us THURSDAY NIGHT, JULY 12TH AT HOOTERS ON CHALLENGE WAY (OFF ARDEN), SACRAMENTO. DEBBIE FROM MAZDA RACEWAY LAGUNA SECA WILL BE ON HAND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE YET TO BUY YOUR MOTOGP TICKETS. SAVE $20.00 ON YOUR THREE DAY PASSES AND GET A FREE PROMOTIONAL POSTER!!! THIS OFFER ENDS SOON AND WILL COST YOU MORE AT THE GATE!!

Also joining us will be Richard Sims of SIMS ENGINEERING. Richard is one of the top engine builders in the country and located right here in the Sacramento area. Richard will have one of his crazy fast 200 horsepower GSXR1000 race bikes on display. Wanna go fast? Come by and talk with Sims Engineering.

A heads up on the items in our prize raffle with more on the way !!!. SET OF DUNLOP QUALIFIERS 2 (Q-2) FOR YOUR BIKE, GPR Steering Stabilizer for your bike valued over $500, TWO track days from KEIGWINS AT THE TRACK, SPROCKETS FROM SUNSTAR, DUNLOP SWAG, GALFER BRAKE PADS OR LINES, GALFER SWAG, TECH SPEC GRIP PADS, AND TICKETS FOR THE UPCOMING MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP AT MAZDA RACEWAY.

We will also be telling you about "Laps for the Cure" to benefit the Breast Cancer Society. How you can donate to AFM and AMA Daytona Sport Bike racer, Shaun Summers NATIONAL BREAST CANCER FOUNDATION. You can find more information on Shaun Summers FACEBOOK page.

Most of all, don't forget the sponsors who support our event:

Dunlop Tires, Arai Helmets, Alpinestars, LeoVince Exhaust Systems, GPR Stabilizers, A&S BMW/Ducati/Triumph, Capitol Yamaha, Carmichael Honda, Sunstar Sprockets, Freefrog Designs, Galfer Brakes, Keigwins at the Track, Tech Spec Grip Pads, Nu Concepts Audio in Sacramento, Dave Moss and Catalyst Reaction Suspension, Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca, Infineon Raceway, Roadracing World Magazine, UmbrellaGirls USA and RynoPower Supplements. We also welcome new bike night event sponsors, INSURANCE 4 RIDERS, VICCI APPAREL and PHITEN JEWELRY.

Facebook?: You now have a another way to keep up on America's original bike night event, check out our new FACEBOOK PAGE.

When: THURSDAY JULY 12TH, from 7:30-9:30pm

Cost: FREE

Where: HOOTERS SPORTS BAR AND GRILL, 1785 CHALLENGE WAY (OFF ARDEN), SACRAMENTO. (916) 927-9464

Parking: LOTS OF FREE PARKING

Info: Mike at (916) 600-3742 or at www.sportbikenight.com
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #535
jabreu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb Ronin Thanks

Dan,
Thanks for the nice RR. looks like a nice trip. I have never been on any of the trails you mention , but will try some hopefully this fall. Well before the first snows. I do appreciate people putting in the work to make a nice illustrated report. I have tons of pictures and can tell a fairly decent story, but have'nt learned to upload pics as of yet. I will try to have my son teach me when I see him, By the way I am Jerry from fairfield.
jabreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #536
sattwood3590
n00b

Oddometer: 9
West Roseville here

Is there anything we can do to help the situation in Foresthill? I'm sure that Nor Cal guys have all probably ridden there?

--Steve
sattwood3590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #537
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

I'm going to ride tomorrow (Wednesday, 7/18). Likely in the Last Chance area, Red Star ridge or something similar between Foresthill ridge and Mosquito ridge although I could probably be talked into something else. If anyone wants to go, post up or shoot me a PM.

Dan
Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #538
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

A couple shots from today...

On the ridge line west of the Duncan creek drainage.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #539
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
On the ridge line west of the Duncan creek drainage.
What a view! Is that a technical ride?

brieninsac screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 02:53 PM
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #540
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
What a view? Is that a technical ride?
It's all easy single track. This section would be green dot stuff at an OHV park. Still not going to get a street bike in here though. This is an off shoot of the Western States trail. It's a multi-use trail so I try to keep a low profile. I don't scream through here, and I don't spin the rear or chew up the trail. It's all legal stuff for plated bikes and I almost never see anyone out in these areas but I think it's best to try to keep the bike impact low and be courteous when you do see hikers or horses.

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 02:13 PM